ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
RT75

Lots going on in East London tomorrow (Sat 12th April) and at Brooklands on Sunday. Full details http://www.londonbusmuseum.com/rt75/.

My bus number (if any): RMs 238, 471. 2213 & GS17

Re: RT75

I would have loved to have travelled over to Ash Grove today, but alas, I'm making the final preparations for the Spring Gathering, so all my time is taken up.
Unfortunately, I won't be displaying the panels from RML2561 tomorrow, as there won't be any room on the stall to practically display them.
If anyone passes the London Omnibus Models stall, (Inside the museum,) please feel free to say hello, I'll be the one with an IV of coffee being fed into me to keep me going!

My bus number (if any): My bus number: RML2561 (Well, at least the bits I managed to save!)

Wow - what a day for RTs!

Nice pix and a nice display of some of our transport history.

Could I suggest drivers of buses used in service on running days do a walk-round safety check if they don't do so already? (looks for winking smiley)

Meanwhile I'm looking forward to BEA65! :-)

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Re: Wow - what a day for RTs!

Great pictures. Thanks.

My bus number (if any): RCL2259

Don't thank me - I was busy driving RM471 for a wedding in Peterborough, my wife Sue took the pictures. She spent all day in and out of Ash Grove and riding the RTs -even paid £10 for a ride on RT1. (wouldn't accept her concessional travel pass)

What is the extra n/s mirror for?

RT 1 is in as far as possible original as built condition and carries a few items not fitted to the rest of the RT2s, that includes the extra driver's mirror so driver could see inside the bus, ( bit like trolleybuses had), kerb guide and odd bonnet handles.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458, RM 1585 and several RTs

Brian Watkinson
RT 1 is in as far as possible original as built condition and carries a few items not fitted to the rest of the RT2s, that includes the extra driver's mirror so driver could see inside the bus, ( bit like trolleybuses had), kerb guide and odd bonnet handles.

Something our Kelvin Scottish RMs were fitted with Brian as Chris will know, I used to drive his RM471, it was also one of the first Routemasters purchased by Kelvin Scottish entering service with them in April 1986.

My bus number (if any): RM967 (Driver & Restoration Consultant, bus owned by Tom Ireland)

Wow - what a day for RTs! - tickets

Nice to see these tickets were in use on the RTs in service last Saturday

RT 1 used to have the side lights wired for direction indicators, the same as HLJ 44(Bristol K6A) has. This was common in the fifties on motor cars,( the Wolseley 1500 Fleet model definitely had it, not sure about the Family model, a bit better equipped).I think a stop/tail bulb was used on the cars as the indicator would need to show brighter,(21 Watts), than the side light(5 Watts). Can't remember how RT 1 is wired.
As far as the'extra mirror' goes, the round one is attached for driving on the road, and removed at shows as it was not fitted originally. LT was late in fitting nearside mirrors as photos from the 'thirties show. This might explain the very military way that Trainees were taught at Chiswick right up to the end,with maps of places like Hyde Park Corner and Shepherds Bush Green in the classroom showing precisely where a bus should be placed to" close off the nearside". Even by the eighties, the black plastic framed "milk float" mirror as I call it,(initially used n/s and o/s on DMS's)and on n/s on RM's, was not up to much. Nowadays RM's on the 9 and 15 have good n/s mirrors which even give a small view of the platform.

My bus number (if any): with 1702

You may well be right there Dave about using the sidelights as flashers. It's something I'd forgotten about over the year as most flashers have been orange to the front. It's always a difficult choice working out how to fit such modern items and disguising them.

One tip I got from a Chiswick-trained driver: if there's a space in front of you the size of your bus, fill it with your bus; worry about the right lane later.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Didn't realise RT 1 didn't have a small round mirror. The rectangular one looks oddly positioned to look into the vehicle.
The RT2s did have N/S mirrors and small round ones! However, then the N/S mirror on the first RT3s was originally the same size as the O/S mirror then reverted to a small round one.

The small round ones were for checking the platform leaving stops and rear wheels distance from kerbs rather than a general view of the near side of the bus, they are convex to make the images closer than they are.

Some RMLs were fitted with large N/S mirrors from new to cope with the increasing numbers of one way and traffic systems that were being introduced and that required a better near side view. Never had any classroom training Roy when I did my PSV but the rule of roundabouts, and we did many, if taking 3rd exit was to get to centre and work outwards so that N/S lane was blocked off after 2nd exit to take exit.

I know RT8 has some very small LED's fitted in strategic positions, and act as direction indicators. Many years ago,ST 922 had some amber rubber mounted round units at front. These were removed for a film job and never replaced. I think Bedford lorries,(TM?), had some nice rectangular indicators fixed either side of the cab. I thought that if these were still available it would be worth trying these on an RM instead of the flush ones. They won't deflect when knocked like the original CAV unit, but they would not look bad, and from a safety point of view would be more visible from the front and rear as they protrude from the body. I dread to think what our bus wash would do to them though.

Mirrors, I heard a story that when RMC's and RCL's entered the Training Fleet, some Gold Badge men insisted that the nearside Country Area rectangular mirror,(same size as the offside), was removed and replaced with the smaller Central Area type.One was heard to say,"I don't want my blokes seeing too much".

My bus number (if any): with 1702

First one is the early type 2nd the later type. Not the easiest things to fit either.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-Bedford-TK-MK-MJ-TJ-indicator-lamp-/221410152257?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CommercialVehicleParts_SM&hash=item338d12cf41

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bedford-Side-Lamp-Light-pair-lh-rh-/161279301347?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CommercialVehicleParts_SM&hash=item258cfed6e3

One of our RTs was fitted with these, look bloody awful!