ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New Guide to maintaining roadworthiness

The Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency have today issued the 2014 revision to the

Guide to maintaining roadworthiness

Of interest to operators of historic buses is a change in the rules for the frequency of safety inspections (SI). If the vehicle or trailer is 12 years or older then the SI interval should be no more than 6 weeks. Before this low mileage or light use could be used as a reason for less frequent inspections.

It is also recommended that the International Organisation for Standardisation (ISO) week numbering system is used for Operator's "wall charts"

If you decide to change safety inspection frequencies, or the basis on which the frequencies are determined, you must notify the Central Licensing Office.

My bus number (if any): RMs 238, 471. 2213 & GS17

Re: New Guide to maintaining roadworthiness

Most PSV operators use more frequent inspection periods, sometime as little a 2 week depending on mileage. For operators of "older" modern buses, 6 weeks is about right; for those of us with historic buses, the Traffic Commissioner usually accepts 8 weeks, and a pre-use inspection if the bus ha been laid up for a while. He also expects a rolling road test every 16 weeks.

It would aid road safety if class 5 buses followed these guideline, especially those that are now exempt from testing. Buses should also carry a defect book so that drivers can note any defects and whoever repairs it makes a note that it has been fixed!

My bus number (if any): RML2532

LTs rota inspection was based on a four weekly cycle, with of course drivers reports.

Not quite sure I understand "If you decide to change safety inspection frequencies, or the basis on which the frequencies are determined, you must notify the Central Licensing Office".

Change from what? The recommended 6 week inspection cycle?

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458, RM 1585 and loads of RTs

London buses are still on a 4 week or 28 day inspection frequency if operating a TfL route.

Brian Watkinson
LTs rota inspection was based on a four weekly cycle, with of course drivers reports.

Not quite sure I understand "If you decide to change safety inspection frequencies, or the basis on which the frequencies are determined, you must notify the Central Licensing Office".

Change from what? The recommended 6 week inspection cycle?
Presumably that's for licenced HGV and PSV operators only. Those with such licences have to agree to set PMI (planned maintenance inspection) periods with what was VOSA and the Traffic Commissioner when they applied for a licence.

My bus number (if any): RML2532