ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
SAT-NAV low bridges - which one??

Need a new Sat-Nav which finds routes around low bridges for double decker, tight corners etc. There are so many. Any experience you can share or recommendations you can make for a good reasonably priced unit.

My bus number (if any): RCL2259

Re: SAT-NAV low bridges - which one??

Robert

We use the TomTom Pro5150.

It lets you set your vehicle height and weight and then avoids any roads with weight restrictions and low bridges based on your settings.

It also warns you to take a break when you have been driving for 4.5hrs.

I deliberately put it to the test by driving down a road with a low bridge (in my car) and it bleeped its head off waring me there was a low bridge ahead.

When I was looking for a Bus/Truck Satnav it was not the cheapest but so far it's not let us down.

My bus number (if any): RM765 and RM548

Garmin nuvi 465t is okay as well, same procedure enter vehicle size & weight.

I recommend a copy of a Truckers Atlas as well, not relying solely on a satnav when planning a route.

NEVER rely on satnav for ANYTHING. I always use a good map and my eyes. Google maps is useful on the satellite imagery for looking at roads that may have low trees. Satnav won't show those either!

When I had my company in Mitcham we used a device called BridgeClear, but this was before the days of satnav.

Personally I don't use satnav, I find it too distracting.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

I quite agree with Roy. Don`t rely on SatNav. Use a good map and your eyes.
I spend all my working time in the courier seat of a coach and the planning of routes which often takes us away from main roads is down to me. I cannot imagine leaving my Ordnance Survey maps behind and taking a SatNav instead even to destinations that we regularly visit for one specific reason - the ability to get us out of trouble if the route we expected to take is suddenly unavailable. An O/S map may not have bridge heights but carefully looking at a map when considering an unfamiliar route will reveal where bridges cross roads so that we`ll be looking for a sign long before we get to the bridge. A Satnav doesn`t show the lie of the land ahead - steep hills, river bridges on tight bends, narrow roads, potentially badly angled junctions. We have more of a length problem than a height problem but even 12`6" has become more of a concern in recent years due to cutbacks in roadside vegetation management that leaves tree branches lower than in the past and road signs (even important ones warning of physical restrictions) obscured by unchecked leaf growth.

It needs to be remembered that height and weight SatNav is primarily for trucks. Bus companies have a responsibility to schedule services along suitable, checked roads but even these services become vulnerable on an unexpected diversion. If a curtain side artic hits a low branch at 30mph on a country road it`s not a big problem for the truck. Everything changes when glass and passengers are involved.

So whilst I accept that a SatNav that warns of height and weight issues is useful, it just isn`t a substitute for being able to see the bigger picture. and using it in conjunction with a detailed map makes more sense. And what happens if a SatNav fails and you have no map with you?

Does the TomTom Pro5150 have a headphone socket please? I gravitate towards the Tom Tom because the car one I do have is quite reliable, but do need headphones as our route master is quite noisy, (aren't they all?)

Yes, it does have a headphone jack but to be honest you won't need headphones as it is loud enough - even in the cab of a Dartmaster doing 50mph you will hear it!!

I agree with the comments above, we use a SatNav as another tool, we always carry a map and pre-plan using Google maps whenever we are going somewhere new, as this is a great resource for looking for low trees. And it goes without saying that while driving we don't fully rely on it to avoid potential hazards.

But for me where the SatNav is worth its weight in gold is the live Traffic Updates. I have lost count the amount of times it has flashed up that there is a hold-up on route and re-calculated our journey to avoid the jam.

My bus number (if any): RM765 and RM548

Perhaps we should all invest in a tree lopper bus or one of those massive metal tree guards bolted to the front?
Now the trees have leafs again, often they can just wave over the top. However as we know with the climate here they are often weighed down with water and snow. As mentioned eyes are often the best tool, or try to stick to roads that have double decks on. In London its great (on most roads of course.) However out in Essex i have certainly seen a change in road and foilage maintence. The rainfall at the beginning of year certainly didn't help, creating many potholes and damage to drainage systems thoughout the country stretching councils budgets despite goverment pledging to helpout..

My bus number (if any): RM158

Michelin road maps show all bridges of less than 4.5 metres. Here in France where the height norm is 4m we plan our routes very carefully. On RTs will not touch anything less than 4.3m, on RMs 4.4m safer. However things can go wrong even with GPS, got sent on a diversion in Lyon last week that brought me face to face with a 2.7 metre tunnel,luckily there was a turning before the bridge :-)

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458, RM 1585 and loads of RTs

Actually Roy we never do, people think I am strange that I use the satnav as a moving map, we don't enter a destination, cannot stand those voice instructions. Old fashioned but up to date maps are much more fun to use. Down here in Cornwall we have had artics trying to go over tiny clapper bridges on single track roads, very expensive and embarrassing for a professional driver.

A bit like the foreign driver of an artic. A couple of years ago came out of my yard on the day of the annual summer fete. The only way big vehicles can safely "escape" is turn left, to the main road.

He looked at the satnav, "straight on" then right down quite a narrow residential lane with low trees. Then he found the summer fair blocked the road and sat there 3 hours while the fair finished and cleared away. He couldn't reverse the half mile along this lane. Too many cars were behind him by then. ):)

My bus number (if any): RML2543

Taking note of all the warnings, I decided to get the TomTom Pro5150 as cheaper models have let me down.

It arrived yesterday. Does anyone who has a TomTom Pro5150 know if there is a VIA option?

Re-reading the title, SAT-NAT low bridges, which one?

Does this ask which low bridge you might hit whilst using a sat-nav??

The real advice is use maps not sat nav.

Sat nav is an aid just like a map.

As Neil quite rightly points out. What avoids problems is proper planning and knowing how to use information available.
That couples with due and diligent driving.

Sat navs even the RHA approved pro versions still have issues with low bridges, narrowing roads and ommitted details like fords and other obstructions.

What no-one has mentioned is driving in the dark . When overhanging items like branches cannot be seen so easily, if at all.

Preserved buses rarely have much more than their OE minimal lighting. No upper deck lighting, so for the driver, only the road ahead is lit. And if there are vehicles ahead, high beam is off and seeing upper obstacles is unlikely.

Our taller trailers are now being fitted with a height sensor which detects a height obstacle up to 200m away.
It is very clever, as it does not confuse with say another high vehicle. It can pick out branches, lamp posts, low hanging traffic signals ( common in Europe and the US)

ND are trialling this but the sensors are tiny and it is very easy to install and remove.

My guess is that these will go on the general HGV factors market later this year. A version for detecting cyclists is also being trialled with the sensors in the tractor unit mirrors and on trailers. It's a low cost durable design and I understand it may be shortly trialled in the UK by TfL. So presumably a bus version is also in the mix.

Where can we get info on these height sensors please. Very interesting. Brand name or model name for search would be great.

The eyes have it.

If you really want opinions on various sat navs look up Trucknet UK drivers round table professional drivers forum. There will be loads of entries over the last few years.

As pointed out they are being trialled and are not commercially available yet. So they are unbranded but are from a division of Siemens.

If successful then they will no doubt be widely available once marketed.

Bit of a problem with the TomTom Pro5150 I bought after this discussion. Taking some OAPs to a farm near Radlet we got lead down a bridle way (dirt lane with thick hedges on both sides), which the bus would never have fit down. I managed to turn round after backing up a bit, to the applause of the old folks and my relief. Backing the bus is not my favorite thing at best of times.

Knew I was going to SE London in a couple of weeks, so decided to let the tom tom do a demo for me, and discovered it was set to lead me into Blackwall Tunnel, which from what I read has a 2 meter width restriction. Anyone here know about Blackwall tunnel headed north to south. I think the height might be OK in that direction, but the width worries me

Have reported both of these problems to Tom Tom and so far they have suggested I reset to factory settings. Have done that, yet both demos produce the same routes.

Just a warning to anyone who might be tempted to buy a Tom Tom from reading this thread. Do the demo!

All comments welcome.

My bus number (if any): RCL2259,

AFAIK no width restriction either way in Blackwall Tunnel, but certainly a height restriction northbound! Rotherhithe tunnel has height, width and length restrictions.

roythebus
AFAIK no width restriction either way in Blackwall Tunnel, but certainly a height restriction northbound! Rotherhithe tunnel has height, width and length restrictions.

So a routemaster will fit OK southbound?

Robert,

In all honesty, you are going to get what you deserve.

You are driving a 30 foot long, 8 foot wide vehicle, it's not a toy and it's not a Mini either.

You have a responsibility and obligation to passengers or guests and to other road users.

You do not appear to have taken that advice and simply gone for a gadget which is a complimentary tool and known to be unreliable on data for large vehicles.

Sound professional advice was offered here.

That was to NOT rely on sat nav. Use maps and do your homework and plan, check and check again.

All our drivers at ND are required to be able to read maps, carry the appropriate maps and other means when uncertain.

They have sat nav as part of their range of options. But every journey is planned in advance and drivers, if in the slightest doubt are required to stop in a safe place and seek further information before proceeding.

If they don't and get stuck or worse, they can expect disciplinary action and even cease to be employed by us.

You really do need to have a think about this beyond just getting in and driving it. It does got for others too and at least you asked.
But in all honesty, you need to have contact numbers for the local police traffic division, Highways agencies and so on at all times and if you do find a serious anomaly with a Tom Tom or similar, make sure you report it.

Yes.
There are northbound alternatives.Tower Bridge has no height restrictions nor the Dartford Tunnel.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458, RM 1585 and loads of RTs

I get what you are saying. I am planning this journey to be made on the 21st October, and have been seeking advice from various sources for two weeks now, to accomplish exactly what you suggest.

As to the bridleway I was lead down a short while back, it was called Oakridge lane, and it appeared as a normal road, so no clue till we got there. I have reported this to Tom Tom and they are resetting their maps so this won't happen to anyone else.

I've been enquiring about Blackwall Tunnel because the Wikipedia entry says its 2 meters wide. Transport for London confirm it is actually 3.5 meters. I figure this is the place where people might know from experience, so I asked.

I have always found this forum very helpful as there is nothing better than personal experience when it comes to things like this. Much respect to you all.

ooo the magic words!!!

"the Wikipedia entry says"

Never in any case trust anything Wikipedia says!

for example,
I can log in to my account to make a edit to The Routemaster's page,
and state Routemasters were only built in china, made of steal and they last produced them in 1981!

At one point today, it was saying Scotland has succeeded in gaining independence and has been changed back and forth a few times since!

that's the joy of 'Crowd Sourced' information!

but what it is useful for is the cited references
They are often "trustworthy" websites like gov.uk etc with direct links to the related info!

My bus number (if any): RMF2771

I know, that's why I did some research. It didn't sound right. I must say however that the Wikipedia nerds do step in quick to correct stuff. There appear to be lots of them ;-)

I have a copy of the AA Truckers Atlas of Great Britain, slightly out of date, which gives Blackwall Tunnel height as 13'3 northbound and 15'6 southbound.

Strangely it gives no height limit for Rotherhithe Tunnel, but then that has a 6'6 width limit.

It's a book well worth getting, cheaper and more reliable than satnav.

LT used to publish internally a low bridge book covering the whole of London, I've got a copy somewhere!