ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
power steering problems

Hello all...

My power steering has been getting imperceptibly heavier over the years and having recently driven another bus I realise how bad it is.
What is the logical diagnostic sequence? I'm assuming the worst and it's the pump at fault, if so will I damage the ram if I continue to use it?...

My bus number (if any): 1842

Re: power steering problems

It's more likely to be the ram at fault; possibly the pump; maybe the king pins need to be properly greased? Without checking the line pressure, it's difficult to say. I've done 4 in the last year (2 this year) and changing the ram has solved the problem. I have an overhauled ram in stock if that's any help.

What engine has it got?

My bus number (if any): RML2532

reply spam ban

I would like to reply but an getting a Spam warning and not being able to post.
Anyone else having this problem?

Got no idea in my text what constitutes spam.

Re: reply spam ban

I don't know what this is. I haven't changed anything in the way the forum is set up. I'd like to know more about it and try and sort it out. I'm having no difficulty posting. Many thanks, Chris

My bus number (if any): RM238, 471 and 2213, GS17

I done a lengthy reply to the FRM thread only to have that rejected as spam.

Thanks for the replies so far. I always have trouble posting, but that's most likely operator error of the "stupid phone"...
Engine is AEC 690, btw....

Really without checking the bus with test gauges we're stabbing in the dark to find the problem. Being an AEC engine eliminates various other things it could be with other engines.

My bus number (if any): RML2543

Ian,

Since your bus does a lot of standing about start off by assuming that a kingpin has seized.

I've not relayed the whole story...
My bus has just returned from France, where it behaved well, and the engine has been put in to different bus to finish another job
The recipient vehicle had excellent steering and now it hasn't, which points to pump/hydraulics
I wasn't involved with refitting engine so can't comment on how it was done.
I guess there is an opportunity to get an air lock, block pipes or something obvious......
Be handy to know what's up before re swapping end of this week...

Apply handbrake, jack up both front front wheels, start engine, turn steering side to side, full lock, several times. This will bleed any air from the system. You might hear a load bang from the system which can happen when doing this.

Thanks for that.
Whilst engine was out I discovered some greasing points that I wasn't aware of ;-)
We replaced the engine and did the lock to lock trick but heard no bang.
I tjink it's better than it was, but maybe just wishful thinkin....

There isn't always a bang when you go lock to lock. It depends if there's a big air lock in the system or just some bubbles!

Try greasing the king pins when it's on full lock, then again on the other lock. check your tracking and tyre pressures.