ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Licencing

Sorry to revisit this but having read the threads, I wanted to clarify. I have a Class V Routemaster which is taxed Historic but has previously been used for promotional work for a shipping line. I want to use it as an exhibition/hospitality unit for hire at events, off the road. It will not carry passengers other than maybe family etc as it has had most of its seats removed and is no longer a PSV. I was advised that I could legally drive it with an ordinary car licence and D1. Should I conclude that this is not the case and that 'hire and reward' applies, even though it is not on the public highway and indeed the vehicle would be static with no driver for the duration?

My bus number (if any): RM1305

Re: Licencing

Are you carrying passengers for hire and reward? No. No PCV needed.

Are you carrying goods for hire and reward? Possibly. You may need LGV licence instead!

If you are not carrying goods for hire and reward, then you won't need an LGV.

My bus number (if any): RML2543

Thanks for that. No goods, just the bus though if I ever put a stocked bar in it to sell, I guess that might be more debateable? I assume I don't need the tacho either then. I'm really looking forward to driving it now. Ive only driven it round the yard so far. It is being wrapped in red tartan as we speak..
Is the historic disc ok too?

My bus number (if any): RM1305

If you carry bar stock, that is goods.

Re the tacho, there was a recent EU test case concerning a Swedish driver not having a tacho on his racing car transporter; the case hinged on what was hire and reward as he received sponsorship for his racing car. It was deemed that he wasn't carrying the car for money, but although he got sponsorship for racing the car, that was part of his hobby, so no tacho required.

You are probably not doing it as a hobby, so it is likely you will have to fit a tacho and obey the drivers hours.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Re-visiting this thread whilst looking for something else, if the OP decides to sell alcohol, he'll need s licence for that!