ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
original twin headlamp panels & coach diff/rear axle

Hi I am searching for above items to finish the bus to its original spec, bus is now a hospitality vehicle and is used at many corporate events (see website) would appreciate any info you may have to give, many thanks Roger my contact number is 07815848636

My bus number (if any): rcl2250

Re: original twin headlamp panels & coach diff/rear axle

I think it is most unlikely that anyone would be prepared to supply these very, very rare parts for a corporate hospitality vehicle, from which no doubt equally rare parts have been discarded in the interests of getting the corporate message across, particularly considering that these parts only fit the less common models. I know the whereabouts of a good pair of the headlight panels, but I am certainly not going to reveal their location.

Headlight panels are/were still available from Greengate Fabrications. You'll have to find 5" headlamps to go in them though.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

For your information the bus was in a far worse state when we got it, the interior was stripped & most internal wiring gone. it is now in its original livery and well cared for,on a class 6 mot, far better than the awful yellow that Corona Beers had,don't understand why you even bothered replying if you feel like that. If you were a real enthusiast you should be pleased it is being well cared for, I suppose you don't agree with the Iveco engine either

Thank you roythebus will give them a call tomorrow

Ah, the old Corona bus, I done a bit of work on that a few years ago on behalf of SEC. It used to have a knob on the steering wheel like artic lorries have. The Iveco engine didn't even have the power to pull itself out of my old yard until I adjusted the linkage from the accelerator to the fuel pump.

It seems whoever designed that bit didn't understand linkages.

It is very unlikely you'll get a high speed diff anywhere. It is possible to get the fuel pump recalibrated to the original Iveco spec and run at 2400rpm. I done this once with a DMS pump; the bus went UP Reigate Hill at 39mph in 3rd gear and could overtake coaches on the motorway!! I won't say in public how fast it would actually go.

I think the fact that the bus was in the reported state sums up the fate of buses in the corporate sector well. Upkeep determined strictly by budget, with the emphasis on cosmetics and image. Discarded when the true cost of keeping a 50 year old vehicle up to scratch lands on the financial director's desk. Meantime practically all hope of returning it to its original configuration has long since gone, resulting in a parts donor until the said financial director consults the scrap metal price index and recovers his investment.

As for the Iveco 8361i engine, not in the same league as the mighty 18 litre 8280 V8 or the almost legendary 11.5 litre FIAT type 203, but then being an 8 litre engine it was never going to be. As Tony will no doubt agree, it is very well suited to the job of propelling the RM. The reputation it has unfairly gained is the result of an unwillingness to spend the necessary funds on its maintenance. Its subsequent lack of performance being due to measures taken to extend its TBA (time between overhaul) by de-rating it even further than had initially been the intention.

It is a relatively easy matter to increase the fuelling and to up the revolutions, however even if this is done properly by recalibrating the injection pump, without overhauling what will have been a very hard worked engine, the prospect of successfully pulling higher gearing, even medium term over longish distances, is doubtful. Exactly the same situation that pertains to an AEC engine. To power an RMC, AEC fitted an AV 690 engine, which coincidentally represents roughly the same percentage increase in capacity as does the Iveco to the AV 590. This is nearly the equivalent of de-rating an AV 470 and asking it to pull an RMC. Not impossible since the lightweight GUY Warrior managed 24 tons + with an AV470, but it required a multi-speed transmission to cope.

The RCL has the AV690 engine, the RMC has the same as the standard RM.

It is reported that some RCLs when bought back by LT had AV 590s fitted but no record of the diffs being changed when the conversion to buses occurred, so it might still have the original spec RCL diff.

Plastic Double headlight panels were available at Greengate but not from stock, they used to have a website but seems to have gone.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458, RM 1585 and loads of RTs

Sorry Brian typo brain and fingers not talking. Yes I meant RCL and 690!

The DMS Iveco engine was made by Ferrari, mine had it cast on the block!!

I remember when that bus engine blew up on the return journey from a event. If I remember a very bad second hand engine was fitted..not to sure if it still has the same engine. I always found the Iveco engine ok if set up right.problem was if not most of the engines where knackerd

My bus number (if any): 1083

The RCL twin headlamp panels are the same as the BEA/RMA type and were of the later moulding which corresponds with the main batch of RMLs.
They are deeper with no brake vent moulding and the N/S spotlight is located below the line of the front N/S panel. They are a simpler version to the RMC and should not be too difficult to source.

The RCL grille is of the non enclosed number plate type forming a continuous horizontal curve. The number plate is mounted on a backing plate attached to the bottom of the radiator and had a rubber blade to prevent scalped heads in the pit!

The original RMC type differed with a beading around the twin headlights, brake grilles or blanked panels with a cut away for the N/S foglight. Originals were apparently alloy not GRP.

Most RCLs had the headlight panels changed when overhauled at Aldenham for central bus work. But RMA headlight panels have been easily available .

Someone mentioned to me a couple of weeks ago that Greengates had been bought out and the routemaster moulds dropped . No idea if this true and I certainly hope it isn't !

Mark

My bus number (if any): RML2391

If Greengates have been bought out it's a shame the RM moulds couldn't be saved so they could be lent to other fibreglass manufacturers so they could make to order if the demand was there from us - a bit like RM association and the RM window rubber tool ?

My bus number (if any): RML2747

Unless someone who knows this is happening and is prepared to communicate, these things will keep happening.

The moulds could be purchased and supplied to GRP fabricators on commission.

Possibly it still can.

Mark Kehoe
Unless someone who knows this is happening and is prepared to communicate, these things will keep happening.

The moulds could be purchased and supplied to GRP fabricators on commission.

Possibly it still can.

So based on what "someone told someone" and without doing any verification whatsoever, as to whether it's true or not, we now have a discussion about why a company of which there is no record of it having been sold (they filed new accounts 5/14) didn't keep its RM moulds?

If Greengate has been sold it seems to be news for the Directors and Company Secretary!

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458, RM 1585 and loads of RTs

I don't think it says anywhere that they have ceased trading.

It is mentioned that they have ceased to produce RM GRP panels and that the moulds were either to be or already disposed of.

As I stated, if this is the case from the source that posted then it should have been communicated to the Routemaster Assoc, parts officer or committee to enable at least an above board enquiry that may be of all round benefit.

That's my point. Too many rumours and no communication. Sometimes those rumours are hogwash and sometimes they are spot on.

Only to hear later that "everything was trashed as no-one was interested"

Having tried to get in touch today, there was no answer.

well someone had to do it I phoned Greengates today kevin who owned decided to sell up and it was taken over by Jadecraft ltd still trading from same place,same staff etc ,newwebsite being done and they are looking to the future in the mould business and to all your enjoyment still doing Routemaster moulds ,contact name there is Michael
the stock that was rumoured to be thrown away was old moulds not used for ten years taking up space not Routemaster ones
it just shows we all do it even me we hear a rumour but don't follow up
no royalties taken for this but try us for parts/help for the future

My bus number (if any): RF444,RCL2238,RT

Well done for sorting that out Simon! Very helpful for us all to know the proper story and contact details!

My bus number (if any): RML2302

Roger

Good luck with securing parts, I purchased RCL2250 from the guy who used to drive it for Corona Extra around the UK. It was in a very poor condition both body and mechanically and I spent a lot of money sorting it out and having it resprayed into Lincoln Green at LB&T. It was my idea to use the 709 route number as it brought a little bit of the past back to it. The original conversion for Corona was very poorly carried out, the wiring was ! and general standard of workmanship not very good. The engine though had been fully rebuilt by a company up north who I understood also rebuilt AEC engines. I drove the bus on a few 2/300 mile trips and felt it pulled just as well as the Cummins, but many disagree with that summation, I can only compare the way it tackled the hills down here in Cornwall.

It was a shame it was poorly converted originally, but seeing it as it is now I am pleased I sold it for its present use, it looks very nice on the top deck which was the weak area for leaks to occur into the body.
I have lots of photos of the bus when I had it for advertising OnSiteFramingLtd, if you want a copy let me know. Ed

Can you remember what colour the engine was? Silver?

My bus number (if any): 1083

ISTR 2250 was converted by South East Coachworks, Faversham in one of their previous guises. Their workmanship has improved since then.

the Iveco engine in that bus didn't have the power to pull itself out of my yard until I adjusted the accelerator linkage as I may have mentioned before.

Tony

The engine was painted Black.