ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Reproduced posters

I can, at last, show the posters I`ve had reproduced from originals. Got to admit that with the `Rushes` poster it took a lot longer than I expected and several attempts were made to get it right with the orange being particularly difficult.

Here`s the original 40 year old faded poster with the `new` one above it.

I rejected the first attempt as the artists name and print run details which are both in small font at the bottom of the poster hadn't been copied. That was soon put right to attain absolute authenticity. But when the poster is in its box, the lowest edge falls below the frame and thus that detail can`t be seen! It would have looked better without the reflection of the bus interior on the advert box!

I wish the lower deck of RM 1563 looked as pristine as the poster! It will...

I`m not as happy with the colour reproduction of this poster which wasn`t subjected to the same process as the `Rushes` one.

I`ve had a batch of each poster made and at some point next week I`ll post on the ROOM site the cost per poster plus postage should anyone be interested.

Re: Reproduced posters

Well done! I'd like three of each! Thanks, Chris

My bus number (if any): RMs 238, 471. 2213 & GS17

Certainly would be interested. A really good reproduction with clearly some attention to detail.

My bus number (if any): RML2344

They look pretty good Neil, well done.

And great that the LT 'trademark' of poster details always found at the bottom of LT in house posters has been included.

As paper yellows with age it has differing effects on ink pigment and the colours can change a little . Some colours will change more than others which makes the task of getting exact originals absolutely right.

The only way is to source perfectly preserved originals that have never been in the light.

LT posters did use a lot of takes on contemporary colours mixed with traditional designs.

Orangey reds, magentas and unusual shades of blue.

Some clues will be from the range of colours used by the art house. It may have been the pantone system or possibly a rival system from the time.
These systems had a wide range of colours that printers worked from. Just like paint, each carried a number from which printers knew how to mix the correct shade. A lot of LT stuff used block colour and screen printing type techniques

They must have had a design policy of avoiding primary colours in the 1960s and 70s as they are seldom used.
by the mid 1970s designs used more photography and more standards block typefaces.

Large posters mainly for the Underground were commissioned but all the info posters, maps and so on were done in-house.
Some of the smaller posters like the ones Neil has done, may have been also commissioned..

I'm not sure anyone has done a book on the work of LTs publicity art house. Stuff on the typefaces, Charles Holden and Harry Beck but nothing on this stuff.
Presumably the LTM have all of the originals in the Acton depot archive.

i love to have a copy of one please

My bus number (if any): lt150 rm1562

I`ve posted on the ROOM site the cost of the posters.
Having read this, please then email me direct for the payment details.

Hi Neil

Received my advert today and I would just like you to know what a fantastic job you have done to get these
reproduced and well worth the money. And, big thank you from 108, it will look splendid when I get round to fitting it.
Of course, if anyone reading this is attending Finsbury Park on the 13th July please do come along and have a look.

Graham

My bus number (if any): RM 108

Thanks Graham.

Hearing such nice comments has made the long process of getting the `Rushes` poster just right well worth it.
I may be able to get to Finsbury Park on the Sunday - perhaps I should bring some posters with me if I can!

Regards
Neil

Hi Neil ,
If you do take some posters to FP I'll have one of the 'rushes' posters for RML2391 , give me an incentive to finish rewiring the lower saloon advert box back in !

Thanks

Mark

My bus number (if any): RML2391

I just emailed you Neil I have the the fish one please