ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Front Shockers.

In the near future I hope to be fitting new shockers to the front of my bus.
Has anybody experience of doing these and if so is there anything I need to be particularly aware of.
I have access to a commercial vehicle workshop so its not a done by the side of the road job,but it is always nice to hear of other peoples experience's.
I tried looking on this site but unfortunately the pictures that accompany the description of what to do will not download to my PC.

Many thanks for any advice given.
Graham

My bus number (if any): RML2478

Re: Front Shockers.

Hi Graham, they are not a bad job too do but are very heavy, make sure you lubricate all bolts as they are most likely to be quite tight and rusted. make sure you support the bus by stand etc. you need to support the centre bottom plate with a jack, undo all surrounding bolts make sure you note where they came out of as they are different sizes, also there are 2 bolts at the top which you will need to undo.lower the assembly from the boat, once you have the assembly in front of you you will see 2 small bolts which are wired or should be on the bottom plate, be very careful as these might snap. take note of the position of the top plate as this is very important in the correct position, once reassembled and you have the assembly back into position you will have to some how lift it up into the boat..note..it is very heavy....you will need help with that..once into position, put the jack into the centre again. slightly jack the assembly up but not all the way, its very important that you locate the 2 top bolts first before you put the whole unit up, once up its just a matter of fitting the remaining bolts..
hope this helps
Tony

My bus number (if any): 1083

Before you even start the job check carefully that the bottom of the s/a is held securely to the bottom spring pan. If you can move the s/a relative to the pan with a lever, then the two stirrups into which the small bolts thread are likely to have worn oval. This means that machining will be required to the spring pan and stirrups. Having this done properly in a milling machine is time consuming and not cheap, so the bus will be immobilised for some time. It would be advisable to have the spring pans and the top plates shotblasted so that they can be checked for cracks, this will reveal the previous repairs made at Chiswick.

Expect problems. Renew all nuts and bolts. Do not substitute imperial bolts with metric ones. Align the spring coils correctly.

Check the condition of the large horizontal bolts which hold the two halves of the bottom wishbone together - they have been known to break.

I have the long bolts to do the s/a job in stock if you need them, all new, UNF thread.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Sorry you can't see the pictures. They are quite good. I took them when we did the job on RM471 in 2005.They seem to work on my computer ok. We unexpectedly found a previously undetected broken front spring as well.

My bus number (if any): RMs 238, 471. 2213 & GS17

Hi Grahm
You would be better off taking your bus to the guys in USK, Monmouthshire called London Bus 4 Hire.
They had about 12 Routemaster in there yard when I took my bus there to have done to it.
They fitted new king pins and front shocks for a very reasonable cost.
They also have many parts in stock for Routemasters are are not to far from where your based

Hi Garry
I have dealt with Martin at Usk in the past and as you say he is very reasonably priced.
He carried out a service and Recharged the accumulators and I was very pleasantly surprised at the cost.
I had contacted him earlier in the year and he didn't have any shockers at that time.
I have now sourced a pair and I have the facilities to do the job,so thought I would give it a go,I may regret it only time will tell.

Graham
RML2478

My bus number (if any): RML2478