ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
London Bus Cavalcade

Probably not the event to attend if you want to photograph just buses.
But most certainly the event to go to if you want to take children, climb aboard almost any type of bus and do a spot of shopping too.

The attendance was phenonemal, parts of Regent Street were as crowded as Christmas shopping saturdays.

Hugely accessible, I'm sure a few will be having recurring nightmares at seeing their pristine buses being climbed on by stilleto clad tourists and sliding along buses with belts buckles and bracelets. Noted quite a few fresh scratches.

Possibly outweighed by the huge amount of interest that was generated. Kids just loved it.

No sign of any RFs though, red or green.

For me it underlines just what a massive gaffe TfL are making by reducing the Heritage routes.

Clearly, those 2 routes are a massive part of London's tourism industry and the marketing and presentation is really very poor. But the invisible income they generate indirectly must far outweigh the cost of subsidy for the routes.
It must rake in a huge amount in taxes and rates some of which finds it's way back to TfL.
One only has to look around town . Images of Routemasters are everywhere from souvenir shops to john Lewis.
Even British Airways use Routemaster images when marketing key new routes.

Anyway, just a few pictures posted below. So crowded and some poorly placed signage and cardboard boxes made taking pictures quite hard for anybody, as well as a lack of good vantage points. But it was all about families and people. Really rather well done.

Re: London Bus Cavalcade

I wonder if the RM would have been so popular if they had all looked like RM 2?

Very much a design of it's era with the look of an Austin Atlantic. The final result is so much more pleasing to the eye and timeless.

Oddly the firsts incarnation of RM 1 which looked like a trolleybus still looks quite clean and smart but in all honesty, RM2 looks horrid.

Before that sounds like knocking it, I have to comment the work done as it does show the design stages and what looks like an excellent job in researched restoration.

Nice pictures, would have loved to have been there.

Re: London Bus Cavalcade

As the top windows on the droplight on the U/S are missing I expect the bus would have been unsuitable for the British climate.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458, RM 1585 and loads of RTs