ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fuel tank size

Can anyone tell me the size of the fuel tank that were fitted to early RMs ( VLT 108 ) ?
I am trying to calculate how far I can travel on a full tank (without running out)

My bus number (if any): RM 108

Re: Fuel tank size

Hi Graham

I believe the standard tank capacity is 130 litters, which is around 29 gallons.

David

My bus number (if any): RM765 and RM548

I reckon 228 miles @ 8 mpg.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Hi Guys

Thanks for the info regarding fuel tank size, I was a little concerned as it still has it's original Leyland engine and is
quite thirsty, so the long trip to Finsbury Park on the 13th needed to be worked out.

Graham

Best to carry a 5 gallon safety jerry can, If in the slightest doubt. At least it should be enough to get you to a fuel station. Carry an effective fire extinguisher too! Will probably never get used but very prudent.
A friend of mine also carries a bag of dry sharp sand, Double wrapped in a couple of rubble sacks whenever he makes a long journey. It's come in handy a couple of times.
Also 2 bags help reduce the bounce when running light. and make handy footrests for smaller passengers!

Most commercial motor factors have these cans and they are not expensive.

M

Hi Mark

Thanks for tips, it's only 133 miles with a Leyland engine which is quite thirsty, but I will heed your advice, thank you.
I think the worst part will be the painful and terrifying speed of 40 mph, ........so it will be a very early Sunday morning start.

Graham

Share the driving.

Oh dear, your blood vessels will burst at that terrifying speed, and you'll have to stop during church services...if you believe what was written about trains that could travel at frightening speeds of 30mph in 1827!! :)

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Here's a radical idea. After you fill up and have done a 100 miles or so, look for the cheapest fuel along the route and fill up again. Also keep a log of fuel used against mileage and you'll never run dry as we haven't in 25 years of operations.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458, RM 1585 and loads of RTs

Hi Guys

Thanks for the info for our trip to FP, it's reassuring to know that someone is prepared to make sure your journey is safe and trouble free, I think after a couple of noisy hours a well deserved break and a jolly good English breakfast will prevail
I thank you all for your comments.

GrahamB

I've owned my bus for two years and have kept a fuel/mileage log since then. It has a hub odometer on the rear offside which registers in kilometers. Every time I fuel up I note the odometer reading, the amount of fuel bought and the price per litre. I then translate the km's to miles and the litres to gallons. The best i've had is just over 14mpg and the worst 10mpg. So, if we were to take the medium and go for 12mpg then 29 gallons would get me 348 miles. AEC's are 9.6 and Leyland's 9.8 so I don't think the that figure would be much less. Looking forward to seeing you at RM60!

My bus number (if any): RM2208

Thanks for that Adam, it doesn't get used that much compared to the other two RMs which have Cummins Engines and are more economical.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Graham B

Gents

I my experience there is not much difference in the fuel economy between Cummins and AEC engined Routemasters.

I (like Adam) keep an Excel spreadsheet where I log mileage, fuel added and distance travelled every time I fill up both my buses and this is the average MPG I have been getting over the past 12 months...

AEC engined RM765 - 9.2mpg

Cummins engined RM548 - 10.1mpg

See you at Finsbury Park next weekend!!

David

My bus number (if any): RM765 and RM548

Use a wooden brome handle and use that to dip the tank!

When you only have a few inches at the bottom go to a garage.

Remeber the hight of the forecourt canopy which for some unknown reason are mostly in metric. Also remeber the hight markings of said canopy don't seem take into account the security camera's which hang down!

My bus number (if any): RML2344clapton