ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
flat rear tyre...how far safe to drive?

Having satisfied myself there is nothing to worry about in the engine compartment, pre trip checks have revealed a flat rear tyre 900/20.
This is the third Glastonbury that I\'ve had a flat, really must bring a spare. As it is completely flat I\'m assuming I need a new tube. How far is it safe to drive to meet a mobile tyre fitter?

My bus number (if any): 1842

Re: flat rear tyre...how far safe to drive?

Hi Ian,

It’s really only a passible idea to drive on a flat when it’s scrap, ie; it’s damaged and when it comes off it’s being thrown out. However, if it’s a ‘good’ tyre and you want to keep it then you have to be careful. Driving will twist and turn the casing (as tyres are known) and can damage the steel wire foundation. You’re ok moving it at walking pace to maybe get on dry ground or somewhere flat but at any sort of road speed, even 10-20 mph, there is the possibility of ruining the casing. They can break up and disintegrate, that’s why you see truck tyres alongside the motorways. As they deflate the tyre will drag and will get hotter and hotter until it goes bang.

The other possibility is it coming off. The inner rear will be ok as it is held in by the outer but if it is totally deflated the outer casing can slowly slip off the wheel and detach. Tyres do go flat and they do cause accidents, we’ve had a couple ourselves over the years and if there is no obvious blame they’re considered ‘an act of God’. However, it would be a totally different matter if a tyre came off, did some damage and it was discovered that a vehicle was being knowingly driven in an unsafe condition.

My advice for what it’s worth and let them come to you. Maybe creep off site if necessary but at absolute walking pace, not too far and if possible a helper walking alongside to monitor things. Hope this helps, all the best with the bus.

Regards,

Danny

The other danger if you have a split rim wheel is that the split ring will come off and go through someone's windscreen. It used to happen in the days when everything was split rim wheels.

I don't carry a spare (it's not practical for psv work) but have an account with a tyre dealer who is part of the NTDA network.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

At least you asked the question, which is commendable. Many would just take a chance.

It is simple, Do not, under any circumstances, knowingly drive with a flat. Especially if it is an outer.

As mentioned, a separating split rim could fly off and cause a catastrophe.

A Commercial vehicle tyre breaking up while in motion can decapitate another road user quite easily.

Try and reflate the tyre , but best to get a professional repair made.

It might cost but that's small potatoes to what it could cost.

If using the bus for non service use, always try to carry a spare but at the very least, a bottle jack that can support the correct weight , a couple of new spare inner tubes and the correct wheelnut wrench.

What would be the correct weight bottle jack?

I was looking at them the other day and wasn't sure. I know the weight of my bus, but the jack won't be taking the full weight of the vehicle, so what would be a safe weight to get or should i just get one rated for the full weight of my bus?

------

On the topic of decapitate, if you YouTube "Mythbusters Dynamometer of death" it comes up with the Discovery Channel's Mythbusters Episode where they test out conditions of what it would take to decapitate someone with rubber from a blow out. Its quite scary how even the latest spec safety windscreen offered no protection agaisnt this with the forces involved!

My bus number (if any): RMF2771 (Formally RCN701)

Some years ago (in the 1980s I recall) ago a woman was completely decaptiated on the M4 when a half brick wedged between the tyres of a tipper truck released at velocity.
It took her head, the brick and the headrest straight through the rear window.

Since then there are far more regulations both voluntary and mandatory to ensure vehicles like tippers do not leave sites without the wheels and tyres being checked and cleaned of detrius.

Stiffer mudflaps and other measures have also lessened the risk of these nasty incidents.

I think the UK highways and police are excellent at dealing with motorway debris swiftly which is far more than can be said for other countries and I think has saved countless more tragedies.

Well said!
always better safe than sorry.
All this tedious elf and safe tea, continuous CPC etc is for a very good reason, reducing "freak accidents" to a minimum, by thinking "what if?"and planning accordingly, reducing risk.

As for my original situation I drove, at walking speed, out of the swamp up to the coach park and awaited new inner tube fitted by professional.

My bus number (if any): 1842

there's not much difference in price between a 10 ton and 5 ton jack. I'd go for the bigger one every time.

My bus number (if any): RML2532