ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
RM60

Very enjoyable event. Thanks to everyone involved in the organisation.

My bus number (if any): RMs 238, 471. 2213 & GS17

Re: RM60

Bet someone mentioned the red heater grille blanking plate on 2213. Seems like a nice day was had by all :)

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458, RM 1585 and loads of RTs

Sunday was a great day for me perfect weather thanks to everyone who made the effort to bring a bus (if not three!) well done Rob for sorting RM7 in time. (Sad that RMC4 couldn't be there in some form to make up the set) .

My bus number (if any): RML2747

Just a few lines to thank all those who made the 2 days rather good.

Something for everyone, Routemasters of all uses well represented from 50s and 60s time warp examples to the present day, along with conversions and bars and innovative other uses.

Plenty to debate, plenty to fuel thought,enough to float almost anyones boat, but best of all, a really nice atmosphere of friendliness that extended beyond those who know each other but to the hundreds of ordinary folk who were in awe of such a spectacle. It was really nice to see so many owners and enthusiasts being chatty and answering questions and holding back the grimaces as kids climbed all over their pride and joy!

For those who helped make it all happen, kept it safe and had to endure a few of North London's less cheery folk, hat's off to you.

It was great to meet and be able to put faces to names and thanks to those who gave me a hand on Saturday to get some pictures....hopefully not completely in vain.

Great weekend, now where's the after sun lotion?

Thanks to all involved. Superb day on Saturday.

good day came on the sunday saw what i wanted to c happy with that

A few more views of the event on the Sunday...........

I reckon a fair few passers by were just as keen to take pictures. When a cavalcade started, a Mexican wave of photographers began making it quite difficult to get a picture devoid of others with a camera.

So many different livery variations were present. But not every Routemaster livery was represented - maybe a challenge for someone to take on......

Looking good in newly repainted form, an example of what might have been to take Routemaster production into the 1970`s.

RML 2400 is just about perfect as an exterior representation of a newly outshopped Aldenham overhaul from thirty years ago.

The observation was made that with well over one hundred Routemasters present it had to be the largest number ever of them together at once. It probably did surpass the largest allocation in an LT garage. When I started on LT at Tottenham Garage in 1973 we had 102 RM`s and 12 RML`s and that must have been one of the largest Routemaster allocations.

I had a great time at Finsbury Park meeting old LT friends and I`m sure others would say it was a brilliant idea turned into reality by a few for the enjoyment of many. Well done and thanks to those who made it happen.

What a glorious weekend. Been some negative comments on 'the other side' but hey-ho, you can't please everyone. Took RM 116, what a beautiful bus to drive and met loads of old friends and work colleagues and spent most of the weekend talking. Once again, well done to all those involved.

My bus number (if any): RM 912

I was unable to attend so I'm looking for a list of what buses were there, Can anyone supply details please? I have asked on the other channel but to no avail ! Thanks in advance.

Sunday was definitely the best day for me as Keith Saunders & Matt Hart allowed me to drive their superb buses, Breakdown Tender RM66 & Northern General RMF2771 round the Finsbury Park circuit, Keith kindly videoed me as well. It was also good to see my old bus RML2271 in the line-up and I took the opportunity to check out the various improvements David Cooper has carried out on her since he bought her from us three years ago.

Personally, I would love to see this become a five-yearly event, anyone agree?

My bus number (if any): RM967 (Driver & Restoration Consultant, bus owned by Tom Ireland)

We have updated the Routemaster 60 pages on the Routemaster Association website, and all the facts and figures can now be found there. (It took us 24 hours to double check them !!) For the record, there were 136 Routemasters at Routemaster 60.

The full list can be found at http://www.routemaster.org.uk/diamondjubilee-buses-at-the-show

Many thanks to everyone that came along, brought vehicles, our sponsors and anyone that helped out in any way.

Hope everyone had a good weekend !

My bus number (if any): RM1368

It was a 'must' event to go to , only time will tell if I'll be able to repeat the trip with RML2391 in another 10 years . We're all getting on a bit just like the buses are . Can't quite see a similar number of routemasters making it again , but I hope I'm wrong .
It was great to be in the line up both days . I'm pleased to have driven my 'London' bus back into the capital , even though it was with some trepidation as I wouldn't consider driving my car through London let alone a bus !
My main concern was the antisocial behaviour in the Park at night by people passing through . Some were seen to be climbing over the buses , up on top of bonnets . We had people trying to get into ours and I believe some 'young ladies' (!) were observed turning aerosols into flame throwers sitting on park seats behind the buses' . Some of the buses were left open , a bit of a risk . I know there was security hired in but if there is a repeat of this event I hope the park could be made more secure . I appreciate it is a public place but the buses need to be fenced off and somehow protected , either temporary fencing or perhaps on a private site nearby .
Just before the event I found details of RM50 , including which buses attended , it will be interesting to compare what came last time with what came this time . I suspect RML's were the the main winners in numbers as a lot were still in service at RM50 . I noted that the smaller subclasses such as RMC,RCL,and front entrance versions seemed to be a lot fewer in numbers this time and I wonder where/what has happened to them .
Well done to all the volunteers / helpers etc who were at the event , all the stallholders etc and all the owners who no doubt went to a lot of effort and expense to attend .
Apparantly , there was a little momento of the event , a T key but sadly I missed out on mine , did everyone else get one ?

Mark
RML2391

My bus number (if any): RML2391

Hi Mark

Sorry you did not get your T-Key, drop Mitch an email as we do have some left.

David Lee
Events Officer

My bus number (if any): RM765 and RM548

1st time I saw rm116 on Sunday and I thought wow how lovey she looked

Sorry to hear that the park had scum in it the problem is they don't lock parks up now and cos of longer daylight hours they seem
To keep them open and parks police don't exist now due to the cuts I know I used to be a park keeper in islington.

The best thing should of been buses came on the sat left at the end and came back on a Sunday like a bus garage should of been borrowed.

Andrew Morgan

We have updated the Routemaster 60 pages on the Routemaster Association website, and all the facts and figures can now be found there. (It took us 24 hours to double check them !!) For the record, there were 136 Routemasters at Routemaster 60.

The full list can be found at http://www.routemaster.org.uk/diamondjubilee-buses-at-the-show

Many thanks to everyone that came along, brought vehicles, our sponsors and anyone that helped out in any way.

Hope everyone had a good weekend !

It must be disheartening for owners who made the effort to not only prepare their buses for RM 60 pay for the fuel hotels etc, to read on various bus sites (NOT this one!) and Some Facebook pages, criticism of the condition of some of the buses and "it was not as good as RM 50".

A lot of the comments seem to come from the feckless and the work shy, who have never owned a bus and never will own a bus and whose dole money/pension wouldn't even fill up a tank of diesel yet they feel they can criticise others efforts. It's not surprising that owners get really peed with some of those who go to these events. Rant over. Well done to all those who made the effort to get their bus and in many cases buses, there.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458, RM 1585 and loads of RTs

As this was the first such event that I have taken my bus too I didn't know what to expect.
We were watched into our slot by a guy whose name eludes me but he did an excellent job of lining everybody up perfectly and he then went on to tell me what the problem is with my gearbox.
We traveled to London on the Saturday and stayed overnight in the bus[to tight to pay London hotel prices]I was really pleased we did because during the course of the night so many people tried getting on the bus it was a relief to me that we were there to stop them.
What is it with people in this day and age that they have no respect for other peoples property,on leaving the event we had people banging on the side of the bus I nearly got off and had a go at one but realised that I may well have received a quick prod with 6 inches or more of best quality Sheffield steel.
On the up side we met some great lads [Swansea Gang]and sat and shared stories with anyone who cared to stop and chat.
It was a sight I will remember for a long time so many buses perfectly parked and so many cameras pointed at us when we left.

Graham

My bus number (if any): RML2478

I didn't get to RM50, but did make it to RM60 on Saturday. It was an impressive array of RMs and the additional stalls etc. really made up the event. I saw the RM50 display on a video shown on the big screen with the buses lined up facing left. I was so pleased that was not the case at RM60 - the nearside of any single cab bus is a much better angle to display.

I was delighted to see the buses that were not in optimal condition, as my own requires a lot of work. Seeing others part way along the process of restoration allows people to appreciate the amount of work involved and I applaud anyone who took an unfinished vehicle along - thanks.

I'm hoping that I will still be around in 25 years and would love to see a major combined RM75 and RT100 event. Now how about that for planning in advance!?!

My bus number (if any): RT3316

Hello All

My 2276 is in "as withdrawn" condition or tatty some may say. I have had those remarks before but didn't hear any this time probably because I was so far from my bus for most of the weekend. Most comments come from those without a bus of their own and therefore not appreciative of the time cost and effort it takes to achieve a just built look.

That said, I have also had many a person tell me to keep her as she is.

Time will tell what I decide to do.

David

My bus number (if any): RML 2276 M1001 T806

David Lee

Hi Mark

Sorry you did not get your T-Key, drop Mitch an email as we do have some left.

David Lee
Events Officer

ooh, I hope there are some left! Picked up program but didnt know about T key. Lost mine at weekend, along with indicator lens, exhaust flexi and internals of side light switch......

One of best trips I've had in years, excellent in every respect, far more fun than Glastonbury! Great to put some faces to names and meet such a diverse array of enthusiasts and passersby.

My only RM complaint is the shoddy side light switch failing on way home and plunging us into darkness. 50 years life span is pretty poor for such an item, or am I expecting too much from a component made in Britain without plastic?

My bus number (if any): 1842

2276 is fine as it is

David Colin
Hello All

My 2276 is in "as withdrawn" condition or tatty some may say. I have had those remarks before but didn't hear any this time probably because I was so far from my bus for most of the weekend. Most comments come from those without a bus of their own and therefore not appreciative of the time cost and effort it takes to achieve a just built look.

That said, I have also had many a person tell me to keep her as she is.

Time will tell what I decide to do.

David

David, if I still had RML2271, then she would still be in similar as withdrawn condition as your 2276, the main thing I'm sure you will agree on is keeping them good mechanically, for any major COSMETIC restoration, VERY deep pockets are required.

My bus number (if any): RM967 (Driver & Restoration Consultant, bus owned by Tom Ireland)