ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Careless Torque Costs Lives

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/careless-torque-costs-lives

Advice on wheel nut torque. The only problem is I've not yet found published advice on the correct torque for the old type conical wheel nuts!

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Re: Careless Torque Costs Lives

roythebus
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/careless-torque-costs-lives

Advice on wheel nut torque. The only problem is I've not yet found published advice on the correct torque for the old type conical wheel nuts!

So, what do you recommend? is leaning on the end of a metre long scaffold bar until it fels right appropriate?

My bus number (if any): 1842

Re: Careless Torque Costs Lives

That was the old method. Somewhere in my collection of stuff I've got a manual for the AEC 7.7 engine. Look in the section of cylinder head stud torque and you see a picture of a worker in brown dust jacket with statutory cloth cap and roll-up leaning on a scaffold bar through the cab door of a Matador showing you how tight they should be!!

The best I can offer is from various Arriva RMs I've seen which have stickers over the wheel arches which say something like 480lb/ft, but I'm open to correction on that figure.

But otherwise, yes, a long scaffold bar, go tight, then when the nut cracks it's tight enough! Not recommended for today's elfensafetea culture though.

Talking to an ex police traffic accident investigator, he went to a tipper truck on the Eltham by-pass which had sheared several wheel nuts. The driver was asked if he ever checked the wheel nuts for tightness. "Yes, every day". "Well, what do you do?" "I put the wheel brace on and lead on the bar till the wheel nut cracks". In effect greatly over-tightening the nuts until the studs broke.

My bus number (if any): RML2532