ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Last week I got a call from a coach operator near Bexhill who has an RML. "What's up with it" I ask. "Not mine, someone else's". The someone else reported loss of power having driven from somewhere in south east England and going abroad. The coach company has a look, tops up the gearbox, and send him on his way.

A couple of hours later I get a call, "we've lost power, can't get up the hill out of Hastings". So I go chasing over there and diagnose the gearbox is of no further use, all the bands had run out of adjustment. So get it towed back to my place. As luck would have it, I'd just bought in what appeared to be a good gearbox a few days earlier.

I spent the weekend changing the box; the auto panel was defective as well so changed that, and hey, it worked like new, silky smooth change. I also serviced the brakes!

He went happily on his way on Monday to Dover. He was going to Switzerland via Belgium and Germany. I reckoned this wasn't a good idea due to 4m bridges everywhere. He got permission to get into Switzerland, but went via France where the bridges are higher.

This afternoon a phone call, how's it going, all was good until Dijon when they refuelled and drove over a speed hump going out of the garage. About 80km down the road the bus stopped....leaving a trail of diesel down the road; the speed hump had ripped the bottom off the tank.

A local garage "fixed it" and they went on their way. Then loss of power, no 3rd or 4th gear. Fault-finding by phone is not easy, going through why he'd lost 2 gears. I reckoned (along with some head-scratching from the "other" roy) that he'd either broken the stack pipe in the tank or the tank wasn't fixed properly and leaked again! We could hear him cranking the engine which just wouldn't fire.

So having told him to look out for low bridges, take a 4.4m bit of wood with him, I maybe should have told him about low ground clearances as well.

As roy said, it never ceases to amaze us that people with a car licence are allowed to drive a double-deck bus anywhere in Europe with no formal training!

Anyone in the Dijon area with a spare RM fuel tank??

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Re: Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

First thing is our experience is mechanics on the continent with years of experience on HGVs have never seen or worked on anything like an RM. Fuel tanks OK , but brakes, gearboxes EPV valves, haven't got a clue.
You may remember we had a loss of gears problem on an RML that puzzled and it turned out the pipes from the EPV had been hit and bent by road debris. It's a possibility.

Yes I agree, letting people lose on buses with car licenses is just daft, you have to take a test to drive any other UK heavy vehicle and over here you have to have a HGV license to drive a bus without passengers. Bridges aren't the problem here, it's the 4m clearance of the trees!

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458, RM 1585 and loads of RTs

It really shouldn't matter what driving licence you have as long as you have an aptitude and ability to drive a vehicle with the due diligence and simple common sense to understand the limitations and capabilities of the vehicle.
That can be a bicycle, Car, supercar, van , bus ,motorhome or towing a caravan.

A driving licence does not mean a good driver, but in many cases a PCV or and HGV does not mean a good driver either. Irrespective of the requirements set to attain such licences.

From my own perspective, Taking the cycling proficiency test at 11, driving test at 17, advanced driving test some time later, a race track licence (now lapsed) and a couple of years ago, a city cycling course in Camden has kept me safe and avoided complacency.

I wish there was some sort of official system to have incentives for advanced driving and wider standards.
The so called incentives for furthering one's driving abilities are a bit of a sham.

So LT examiner, I didn't need a minimum of 10 days training with an experienced instructor driving in all conditions getting to know about positioning, length and width of the vehicle, and knowing how to control the bus in a skid and wet weather braking, because I had "an aptitude and ability to drive a vehicle with the due diligence and simple common sense"

To coin a phrase, "you having a laugh?"

I don't know if any of you remember Alec Purkiss, an ex LT instructor. He told me that he'd take the trainees round the bus in Chiswick, explain how it works, then go for a drive. "Out of the gates, take the first available road on the left".

The first road being dead-end, the second road low bridge, the third road at the lights was to Chiswick Park. Loads used to go down the dead end and have to be seen out onto the main road.

Back to the original point, the errant bus is now going again, the French mechanics ran a pipe from the tank to the engine, all working ok again. Anyone got a spare fuel tank for sale?

Yes Brian, it did cross my mind that the gearbox pipes may have been damaged by the speed hump. Thanks.

Must be severe speed bumps. There is still a reasonable clearance on an RM.

Can you still drive a bus on a car licence?

My driver training with LT was like yours Brian but as an engineer I only got an LT "A" licence as legally you could drive a bus without fair paying passengers on a car licence. The early 1990 changes, I thought, stopped this. I managed to get a full PCV licence under the grandfather rights but with a 101 code (not for hire or reward). Why issue them if a car licence will still allow you to drive a bus anyway?

I was also told by my LT instructor that although I couldn't take fare paying passengers, if safety was an issue then I can move the bus to protect the passengers. No idea how that would go in court.

David.

My bus number (if any): RML 2276 M1001 T806

Brian Watkinson
So LT examiner, I didn't need a minimum of 10 days training with an experienced instructor driving in all conditions getting to know about positioning, length and width of the vehicle, and knowing how to control the bus in a skid and wet weather braking, because I had "an aptitude and ability to drive a vehicle with the due diligence and simple common sense"

To coin a phrase, "you having a laugh?"

RMLs2400, 2512 & 2514's owner Kelvin Platt has NEVER held a PCV Licence Brian, yet he taught me how to drive a pre-select and I would rate him as competent a bus driver as me, possible now even better as he still drives stick buses whereas it's now over twenty years since I drove one.

My bus number (if any): RM967 (Driver & Restoration Consultant, bus owned by Tom Ireland)

The drivers of this particular bus have French licences (no psv entitlement)and the bus is taxed here as a caravan!

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Graham Laurie

RMLs2400, 2512 & 2514's owner Kelvin Platt has NEVER held a PCV Licence Brian, yet he taught me how to drive a pre-select and I would rate him as competent a bus driver as me, possible now even better as he still drives stick buses whereas it's now over twenty years since I drove one.
Not being rude Graham, but so what? It's not hard to teach someone a different method of gear changing if an experienced bus driver, eg LT type training. Oh and the trainer is a professional teacher!

What we are talking about here is people with car licenses who have never driven anything bigger in their lives, are you as an ex bus driver saying that is acceptable when any other vehicle of similar weight and dimensions needs training and a test?

roythebus
The drivers of this particular bus have French licences (no psv entitlement)and the bus is taxed here as a caravan!
French licenses don't allow the driving of buses, you need a PL license to drive a bus, not the same as the UK, French have more sense!

Although in this country applicants for a category C or D licence are asked technical questions about their vehicles, we don't go as far as the USA does with applicants for their category C/D licences called the CDL.

Below are some of the questions from the CDL course.

Beyond the comprehension of the average car driver who wishes to drive an old bus around?

1. In addition to checking for spare electrical fuses, three red reflective triangles, and a properly charged and rated fire extinguisher, school bus drivers must also inspect the following emergency equipment:
CDL Test Study Guide with Practice Questions

A. three red burning flares, safety belts in all seats.
B. three red burning flares, a nine-item first-aid kit.
C. three flares of any type and isopropyl alcohol.

2. A school bus driver must also check the alternately flashing amber lights indicator, if equipped, the alternately flashing red lights indicator and the strobe light indicator, if equipped.

A. True
B. False

3. School bus drivers must also check the following external lights and reflectors:

A. strobe light, if equipped, stop arm light, if equipped.
B. alternately flashing amber lights, if equipped.
C. alternately flashing red lights.
D. all of the above.

4. If equipped, check the stop arm to see that it is mounted securely to the left front window of the school bus.

A. True
B. False

5. Check that the entry door is not damaged and:

A. operates smoothly and closes securely from the inside.
B. operates smoothly and closes securely from the outside.
C. operates smoothly and closes securely from a remote location.

6. Should the hand rails and stop light be checked during a pre-trip inspection?

A. Yes
B. No

7. On a pre-trip inspection for a bus, the passenger/entry should be checked for:

A. door operation, hand and foot rails and handicap lift.
B. door operation, hand rails, entry step condition and brake condition.
C. door operation, hand rails, entry step condition and handicap lift if equipped.

8. When checking a handicap lift the things that you should look for are:

A. leaking, damaged or missing wheel chairs.
B. leaking, damaged, or missing parts and explain how lift should be checked for correct operation. Lift must be fully retracted and latched.
C. leaking, damaged, or missing parts and explain how lift should be checked for correct operation. Lift must be 25 percent retracted and latched.

9. Make sure that all emergency exits are not damaged, operate smoothly and close securely from the outside.

A. True
B. False

10. Check all emergency exits and show that:

A. they are not damaged, operate smoothly, and close securely from the inside and the warning devices are working.
B. they are damaged, operate smoothly and close securely and exit warning devices are working.
C. all devices inside and outside of bus are operating in unison.

11. During the pre-trip inspection you should check for broken seat frames and check that seat frames are firmly attached to the floor.

A. True
B. False

12. Should you check passenger exit mirrors?

A. Yes
B. No

13. During the external inspection of a Coach or Transit Bus a check should be made to see that:

A. the vehicle is sitting level (side to side) and if air-equipped check for water leakage.
B. the vehicle is not sitting level and if air equipped check for audible air leaks from the suspension system.
C. the vehicle is sitting level (front and rear) and if air-equipped, check for audible air leaks from the suspension system.

14. A compartment check includes:

A. checking that baggage and all other exterior compartment doors are not damaged, operate properly and latch securely.
B. checking that all compartment doors are painted in coordinating colors.
C. checking that everyone has brought baggage.

15. A battery/box check is important. The battery must be secure, connections must be tight and cell caps must be present. In addition these items should be checked:

A. battery connections should show signs of excessive wear.
B. battery connections should not show signs of excessive corrosion, but the battery box and cover or door is unimportant.
C. battery connections should not show signs of excessive corrosion and the battery box and cover or door should not be damaged and should be secure.

1. During a pre-trip inspection you should show the examiner that you can check the lighting indicators for:

A. the left and right turn signal.
B. the four-way emergency flashers.
C. the high beam headlights.
D. all of the above.

2. The horn and heater/defroster should be checked during a pre-trip inspection.

A. True
B. False

3. To check the parking brake you should:

A. apply the parking brake and make sure that it will hold the vehicle by shifting into a lower gear and gently pulling against the brake.
B. apply the parking brake and pressing the foot brake to make sure that they will work together.
C. You need not show that the parking brake works.

4. During a hydraulic brake check you must pump the brake pedal____times and then hold it down for______seconds. The brake pedal should not move (depress) for five seconds.

A. 3, 5
B. 5, 10
C. 10,15

5. Failure to perform an air brake check will result in an automatic failure of the vehicle inspection test.

A. True
B. False

6. When checking lights and reflectors all external and reflective equipment must be clean and functional. Light and reflector checks include:

A. headlights, seatbelts, tail lights, decorative lights.
B. clearance lights, headlights, tail lights, turn signals, four-way flashers, brake lights, and red reflectors (on rear and amber reflectors everywhere else).
C. clearance lights, Christmas lights, head and tail lights.

7. An external inspection of the steering box and hoses will include checking that the steering box is securely mounted and not leaking more than 4 ounces of fluid per hour.

A. True
B. False

8. The steering box must be securely mounted. You will check for:

A. proper paint on the box.
B. secure lighting on the steering box.
C. missing nuts, bolts, and cotter keys.

9. On the steering linkage you must check for joints and sockets that are worn or loose and that there are no missing bolts, nuts, or cotter keys.

A. True
B. False

10. The Suspension System check should include:

A. hoses, springs, mounts, brakes.
B. springs/air/torque, mounts, shock absorbers.
C. mounts, shocks, brakes.

11. It is unnecessary to check the slack adjusters when checking the brake system.

A. True
B. False

12. On some brake drums, there are openings where the brake linings can be seen from outside the drum. For this type of drum, check that:

A. a visible amount of brake lining is showing.
B. a visible amount of brake lining is not showing.
C. that the brake lining is very thin.

13. Should you be prepared to perform the same brake components inspection of every axle (power unit and trailer, if equipped)?

A. Yes
B. No

14. The following items must be inspected on every tire:

A. Tread depth, tire brand, and hub oil seals.
B. Tread depth, hub oil seals, lug nuts, and white walls.
C. Tread depth, hub oil seals, lug nuts, and spacers.

15. Listen for air leaks when checking the air/electric lines. Hoses and electrical lines should not be cut but can be spliced.

A. True
B. False

1. During the pre-trip inspection, you must show that:

A. the vehicle is safe to drive.
B. the vehicle is newer than 4 years old.
C. you are competent and have no alcohol in your system.

2. During the pre-trip inspection you will:

A. sit in a truck and drive around talking about your expertise.
B. take a computerized test about truck driving.
C. walk around the vehicle and point to or touch each item and explain to the examiner what you are checking and why.

3. When checking the hoses you should:

A. look for puddles on the ground.
B. look for dripping fluids on underside of engine and transmission.
C. inspect hoses for condition and leaks.
D. All of the above.

4. When checking the oil level you will show the examiner:

A. that the oil level is within safe operating range.
B. add water to the wipers.
C. indicate where the power steering fluid dipstick is located.

5. You should never check the reservoir sight glass of the coolant level.

A. True
B. False

6. When checking the power steering fluid at the pre-trip inspection the level must be above the refill mark to be acceptable

A. True
B. False

7. Check the following belts for snugness, cracks, or frays:

A. power steering belt and water pump belt, alternator belt and air compressor belt.
B. air compressor belt and seat belt.
C. power steering belt and driver's belt.
D. none of the above.

8. To check the clutch/gearshift you should:

A. depress clutch.
B. place gearshift lever in neutral (or park for automatic transmissions).
C. start engine, then release clutch slowly.
D. all of the above.

9. You must check to make sure that the oil pressure gauge is working.

A. True
B. False

10. When checking the oil pressure gauge you should make sure that:

A. the gauge shows decreasing oil pressure.
B. shows increasing or normal oil pressure or that the warning light goes off.
C. shows that there is enough gas for your trip.

11. The temperature gauge is unimportant at a pre-trip inspection.

A. True
B. False

12. During a pre-trip inspection the mirrors and windshield should be checked for:

A. proper steering.
B. colorful observation.
C. cleanliness, obstructions, and damage.

13. Some emergency equipment that should always be carried is:

A. unimportant during the pre-trip inspection.
B. spare electrical fuses, three reflective triangles, a properly charged and rated fire extinguisher.
C. spare electrical fuses, a walkie talkie, a fire extinguisher.

14. To check for steering play in a non-power steering vehicle you should turn the steering wheel back and forth. Play should not exceed:

A. 30 degrees
B. 20 degrees
C. 10 degrees

15. Check that wiper arms and blades are secure, damaged, and operate occasionally.

A. True
B. False

1. Why must air tanks be drained?

A. To drain all the air out of the tank.
B. To drain moisture and oil out of the tank.
C. To keep anyone from moving the vehicle.

2. What is a supply pressure gauge used for?

A. To tell you how much diesel is in the vehicle.
B. To tell you how much water is in the air tank.
C. To tell you how much air is in the air tank.

3. All vehicles with air brakes must have a low air pressure warning signal.

A. True
B. False

What is a dual air brake system?

A. A two brake system, one operates the front brakes and one operates the back brakes.
B. A two braking system, one for each side of the vehicle.
C. A two braking system, one for daytime and one for nighttime driving.

2. What are the slack adjusters?

A. It is the space between the back wheels.
B. It is an adjusting nut on the backside of the brake drum used for adjusting the brakes.
C. It is an adjusting nut under the cab to adjust the springs.

3. How can you check the slack adjuster?

A. Park on level ground, turn off parking brakes, pull hard on each slack adjuster. It shouldn't move more than one inch.
B. Park on level ground, turn off parking brake and press brake pedal.
C. Park on an incline and see if the vehicle rolls.

4. How can you test the low pressure warning signal?

A. While the engine is running, step on and off the brake pedal.
B. Shut off the engine and see if the air pressure leaks down.
C. Shut off the engine with enough air pressure, turn on the electrical power and step on and off the brake pedal until the low air pressure warning signal comes on.

5. What can you check to see if the spring brakes come on automatically?

A. Step on and off the brake, with the engine off, the parking brake knob should pop out when air pressure falls between 20-40 psi.
B. Get under the vehicle and pull on the spring brakes.
C. Turn on the engine and pump the brake pedal down to the floor.

6. What are the maximum leakage rates?

A. Less than four psi in one minute for single vehicles and less than eight psi in one minute for combination vehicles.
B. Less than two psi in one minute for single vehicles and less than three psi in one minute for combination vehicles.
C. Less than six psi for all vehicles.

7. Should you ever leave your vehicle unattended without applying parking brakes or chocking the wheels?

A. Yes
B. No

8. If you are away from your vehicle only a short time, you don't need to use the parking brake.

A. True
B. False

9. How often should you drain air tanks?

A. Daily
B. Weekly
C. Monthly

10. The use of brakes on a long steep downgrade is only a supplement to the braking effect of the engine.

A. True
B. False

11. What factors can cause brakes to fade or fail?

A. Not pressing the brake pedal hard enough.
B. Over heating, low air pressure, and not relying on the engine braking effect.
C. Not taking your foot off the accelerator pedal.

12. Why should you be in the proper gear before starting down a hill?

A. So you only have to apply the brake just hard enough to feel a definite slowdown.
B. So you don't have to shift gears going downhill.
C. So you can go through the gears on the way down.

13. If oil and water collect in the air tanks what can happen to the brakes?

A. The brakes could heat up.
B. The brakes could fail.
C. The brakes could lock up.

14. What is the purpose of an alcohol evaporator?

A. So you don't have to drain the air tanks as often.
B. To have a drink available if you get thirsty.
C. To reduce the risk of ice in the brake valves and other parts in cold weather.

15. What is another name for controlled braking?

A. Steady braking
B. Squeeze braking
C. Hard braking

4. What are spring brakes?

A. Brakes used for parking.
B. If the air brakes leak down, springs press the brakes on to stop the vehicle.
C. The spring on the brake pedal.

5. Front wheel brakes are good under all conditions.

A. True
B. False

6. When you put your brakes on the air brake system works with an electric switch to turn on the brake lights.

A. True
B. False

7. What do air brakes use to make the brakes work?

A. Compressed gas
B. Compressed oil
C. Compressed air

8. Air brakes are really three different braking systems: service brake, parking brake and emergency brake.

A. True
B. False

9. The service brake applies and releases:

A. The parking brake when you use the parking brake control.
B. The brake when you use the brake pedal during normal driving.
C. In the event of an emergency.

10. The parking brake applies and releases:

A. The brake pedal during normal driving.
B. In the event of an emergency.
C. The parking brakes when you use the parking brake control.

11. The emergency brake system:

A. Uses parts of the service and parking brake system to stop the vehicle in the event of a brake system failure.
B. Uses the service brake to stop the vehicle in the event of a brake system failure.
C. Uses the parking brake to stop the vehicle in the event of a brake system failure.

12. The governor controls when the air compressor will pump into the air storage tanks.

A. True
B. False

13. The air storage tanks are used to hold compressed air.

A. True
B. False

14. When you put on the brakes by pushing down the brake pedal:

A. The air pressure is reduced to the brake pads.
B. Air pressure is applied to the brake pads.
C. Compressed air is let go out of the system.

15. The S-cam forces the brake shoes away from one another and presses them against the inside of the brake drum. It is called the S-cam because:

A. It is shaped like the letter Z.
B. It is shaped like the letter N.
C. It is shaped like the letter S.

Three points

1. No one answered my question about driving a bus on a car licence
2. I am not saying there isn’t a need to test thoroughly these drivers but why do you think the questions are beyond the comprehension of an average car driver? Like the CSCS course for builders it is a matter of learning the specifics and the rest is common sense. With the greatest of respect, bus drivers, like building labourers, DO NOT NEED TO BE (I am not saying they are not) the most intelligent of people, do they? Just some common sense and the ability to read and write.
3. Maybe there should be an all-inclusive driving test with a minimum learning time that teaches all types of vehicle operation and 5 yearly re-tests. That might get those that can only turn left or don’t like roundabouts off the roads, create jobs in the testing and instruction industry and justify why I have to be retrained periodically and separately to operate a forklift, powered access equipment and road vehicle powered access equipment while I can take a driving test at 17 in a mini and still be driving a long wheel base sprinter at 70 despite the major changes in me, vehicles, roads and rules.

We should all have the latest highway code. Who does (except me) and where is the legislation that enforces that. I was caught driving a van at 70 on a dual carriageway. I do not know when the rules changed as when I passed my test I believe van speed limits were the same as cars. No one informed me of those changes so how would I know.

Sorry, that was four points. It was three on my license! (did you see what I did for comic effect)!

David

PS. I have now discovered a fuel leak on my tank. Grrrrrr

My bus number (if any): RML 2276 M1001 T806

Hi David,

Yes you can drive a bus on a car licence - I do but am looking to do my 'Cat D'

The DVLA have a factsheet called 'Large Vehicles you can drive using your car or lorry licence' (INF52)

i got a replacement of my copy in the post a few days ago (for free from the dvla) as my old one got wet!
Its still got its pre Gov.uk links and phone numbers in it, but the DVLA ensure me the content is still correct

I keep it in my bus for when I WILL get pulled over because I look "too young" to own and drive a routemaster (I have been twice now)

Basically you must comply with the following:
- A bus made more than 30 years before the date it is being driven
- not used for business purposes
- not used for carrying more than eight passengers.

Two of the most commonly misunderstood facts about driving a bus which both appear from observation to be beyond comprehension for some drivers.

It is only legal to drive an empty open platform bus when?

The red flag with STOP embossed on it, which may appear in front of the driver's eyes means what?

roy
Two of the most commonly misunderstood facts about driving a bus which both appear from observation to be beyond comprehension for some drivers.

It is only legal to drive an empty open platform bus when?

The red flag with STOP embossed on it, which may appear in front of the driver\'s eyes means what?

1 when it's sunny and the high street is full of semi naked women.
2 must get the accumulators charged before the next mot.