ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Life is cheap, worship the Pound

Sneaked out yesterday by HMG hoping for the news to be buried under the avalanche of news about the Commonwealth Games, MH17 and Gaza:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/11-million-boost-for-hauliers-as-speed-limit-raised

While it is clear that many HGV have been ignoring the current 40 mph speed limit on single carriageways, with speed limiters set at 56 mph and a 2mph + 10% leeway before prosecution, watch out! that lorry coming the other way is going to be doing 56 mph.

All representations about road safety have been skewed by HMG to support the financial benefits to the CBI of shorter journey times, using the argument that drivers become impatient if held up by a vehicle travelling at 40 mph.

Another \"look what we\'ve done vote for me\" ...\'initiative\' to use a current suit-speak buzzword.

What astonishes me is just how thick the lorry drivers supporting this amendment have been. There is much cafe talk about viewing themselves as skilled professionals who deserve to be paid more than they are currently. On the other hand the principle that the load their vehicle is carrying needs to be secured just seems to escape their comprehension. Why on earth would anyone want to be paid less for doing a job?

Re: Life is cheap, worship the Pound

The government looks at the statistics and decides it is safe to raise the limit, and now professional drivers have to have periodical cpc training they must be getting better all the time. Observation brings me to the conclusion that is not the case, drivers are now under more pressure than ever to deliver the goods on time. I thought the Eddie Stobart programme was very interesting as most of the drivers featured spent far too much time looking and speaking to camera instead of keeping their eyes on the road. Have you noticed how in television programmes featuring motoring the reporter or person interviewed just cannot have any kind of conversation without talking to camera whilst driving.