ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Blinkers on the blink

Any ideas?

With nothing else switched on, either engine running or engine off the blinkers/winkers/indicators/flashers/orange-flashing-things (I'll go with 'blinkers' to avoid confusion with 'destination indicators' etc.) work correctly. As soon as as I switch on the side lights or put any other load on the electrical system they cease to function; to be specific they 'work' but one blink every 30 to 60 seconds which is altogether not much use. If I switch off the other load they go back to working again. I'm guessing we are suffering from a lack of either Volts or Amps, dodgy earthing or my favorite candidate is the batteries running a bit low (but why would it still not work when the engine is running/charging?) or something completely different.

Has anyone had this and know the instant fix, otherwise could anyone advise on where best to should start looking/tinkering/prodding with the multi-meter?

Thanks in advance.

H.

My bus number (if any): RM1013

Re: Blinkers on the blink

Last time I saw your bus it had modified indicators, are they 12v bulbs or like the refurbed RMLS 24V bulbs?

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458, RM 1585 and loads of RTs

It will almost certainly be a faulty negative on the rear terminal block.
When any other load that shares this negative is applied, lights, brake lights, it interrupts the path that the indicators are using as a return and all items cease working properly. One sees this on cars occasionally. All the lights dim when the brakes are applied. In a car it will be an earth connection fault. On an RM it is an insulated negative fault.
If the terminal block is okay you need to find where the main neg cable is run to, to check that connection.

David

My bus number (if any): RML2276 M1001 T806

I'd also suggest checking that the bodywork is neutral, i.e. not connected to negative. Have you installed cigarette lighter sockets, radio ariel to the body etc?

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Thanks for the replies.

In response: It has got the 12 volt indicator bulbs. Brian: when did you last see 1013? What makes you think the indicators have been modified?

Thanks David, the symptoms sound very familiar. Where do I find the rear connection block? Is that the one behind the seat back over the rear wheel?

Roy: There has been nothing added. The only thing different in the cab is that the two way radio was taken out (before my time). To test if the body is neutral, am I right in thinking that if I put a volt-meter between the Live terminal of the battery and the bodywork I should get a reading of zero-ish. And therefore if I get a reading of 24-ish volts then the body is somehow connected to the negative? And also I'm fascinated to know, why does it make a difference?

Thanks.

My bus number (if any): RM1013

Hello Hugo

The terminal block should be found behind a cover under the stairs (look up to the right as you look into the luggage area). It should have five cables coming in (rear lights, brake light, 2 x indicators and a negative). Outgoing will be a set to each of the rear lamps.

I recommend cleaning the individual cables, mark them for identification and remove the terminal block for thorough cleaning or replacement. Then strip back the cables until good clean aluminium or copper can be seen. Reconnect. If the outgoing cables are very poor it is not a massive job to rewire. I always use tri-rated cable which is a relatively cheap, easy to get, single core copper cable with good current ratings.

I think the main negative then runs to the terminal block behind the longitudinal seat above the o/s/r wheel arch but it may be via other terminal blocks (I'm not near my drawing or my bus).

If you need an electrician to sort it for you please send me an email with your details and I can discuss it further.

Hope that helps

David

My bus number (if any): RML 2276 M1001 T806

I may be wrong, but I think I have horrible memories of a conduit running behind the staircase and then inside the conductor's locker/cupboard to another terminal block behind the interior body light switches, but whether this was related to the circuit in question I can't recall.

You're both right bus David's probably more right!

You should also check from negative to body. Any feed to the body can cause stray currents and odd circuitry, that's why so many refurb RMLs have gearbox failure. there's already been lengthy threads on here about that so can't be bothered to repeat them here.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Not really adding to the excellent advice given here, but sorry Hugo, it was the wrong bus, it was 1018 that has modified refurb type indicators.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458, RM 1585 and loads of RTs