ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Further survey on test exemptions

https://movingon.blog.gov.uk/do-you-think-classic-vehicles-should-be-exempt-from-annual-test/

Please take time to make your comments known.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Re: Further survey on test exemptions

Interesting that the vast majority of views from car and van owners are for retaining the MOT or for a bi-annual test.

Almost all comments reflect the value of a second opinion to that of the owner/keeper/maintainer.

The overwhelming view is that we all want to know the vehicle we drive is safe for public roads. Safety first.

The honest and diligent will have nothing to hide but the less scrupulous will take the mile from the inch.
And no doubt, eventually spoil things for everyone as they usually do.

Even with a good pedigree in restoration, engineering and maintenance, it can still be really easy to overlook or get something wrong.

Reading the comments of those for no tests, they are worrying. "It's people, not cars, that kill"
Well, I had a trunnion fail in a car once, undetected and with no warning. It damaged the car but no people or other vehicles. So I can never agree with that.

It could have so easily been another story.

For me, better safe than sorry, and if someone else independent inspects my vehicles and makes the checks with facilities that the average person does not have then that's surely a good thing.

But with low use and mileage, I think a Bi or Tri-annual test would be enough. A voluntary annual test with a new low rate class of test for classics ie. as it more or less is for those with emmissions exemptions and electronic tests etc. But a lower fee to reflect the less time it takes testing. About 35% less time according to my local tester.

Preserved buses are the same. We all know of those who have taken a bus out on the road with a serious defect
( usually brakes) But we all know of those who have driven a defective bus quite unwittingly for ages until discovered in a test.

It's unimaginable that some could do that for years without a test.

And what happens when there is a calamity?
The insurance risk will simply put owning a bus as a preservation hobby into a league beyond the budget of almost all.

The most dangerous vehicles on the road are "white vans" which are usually thrashed to death for the firs test-exempt 3 years, then have a failure rate of about 45%.

The next most worrying are private minibuses probably followed by legit licenced class 6 minibuses! Oh, and horseboxes.

A regular safety check by an independent engineer is equivalent to a MoT test, and a voluntary brake test on a rolling road once in a while is usually about £15. I have to have mine done 3 timers a year, it's a condition of the operators licence.

Hello Mark

While I think the MOT should be retained for all vehicles (it isn't expensive and keeps you on your toes) I searched for and read this 2011 report by the Institute of Advanced Motorists with interest.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/road-safety/8702111/How-do-accidents-happen.html

in particular this part:

Vehicle defects are a factor in only 2.8 per cent of fatals, with tyres mostly to blame (1.5 per cent) followed by dodgy brakes (0.7 per cent).

and also:

Of those motorists judged by police to have been distracted, only 0.8 per cent were using a mobile phone and 0.4 per cent had defective eyesight.

David

Edit

also found this which appears to back up the report

http://www.driving-test-success.com/causes-car-crash.htm

My bus number (if any): RML 2276 M1001 T806

Some of the thoughts I put on the government site:

there's only about 280 pre-1960 class 6 buses on the road in Britain according to VOSA information; only 180 buses failed the smoke test on annual test, hence the requirement for smoke testing was abolished except if the smoke is visible or black; the need to shake king pins on test has also been abolished because so few vehicles failed on king pin wear. Over 45% of small vans fail their first test at 3 years old. A lot of items listed in the current testers manual aren't fitted to pre 1960 vehicles such as windscreen washers, seat belts, ABS, hazard warnings..

Have you ever taken a 1927 Dennis double decker for annual test? I did once at Mitcham. The test was a farce. No brakes on the front wheels; unable to stop the engine over the pit on the test lane as it would have been dangerous to try to re-start over the open pit with a starting handle; service brake, gear change and horn all on the right side of the driver, try slowing down, changing gear to help slow down, indicate the right turn and sound the horn because someone crosses in front of you. The rolling road couldn't be used so they had to use the hill that test stations used to have, but that was only after they cleared the weeds and pallets off it!!

Things weren't much better when I took the Tilling ST for class 6 the following week.

With no disrespect to the examiners, they really don't have much idea on what does what on old vehicles. OK, they can spot a dangerous defect, but try explaining how the warning flag should work on a Routemaster, or why there's a fluid leak from the foot brake valve.