ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
route 15

could anyone clarify news or if it is a rumour that stagecoach if they still own or lease out the RM/Ls are cutting down the fleet size to ten as two are no good so most of the ones that were on route 9 will go on the 15s

My bus number (if any): RCL 2238,RM,RT,

Re: route 15

My understanding is that after a sort out, the buses from Route 9 will be sold to fund the refurbishment of those still operating on Route 15. A number of companies have been asked by TfL to bid for this work including Hants & Dorset Trim. This work is likely to include the re-instatement of wind-down windows, trafficator ears and the fitting of Treadmaster flooring.

My bus number (if any): RM 912

Chris Sullivan
My understanding is that after a sort out, the buses from Route 9 will be sold to fund the refurbishment of those still operating on Route 15. A number of companies have been asked by TfL to bid for this work including Hants & Dorset Trim. This work is likely to include the re-instatement of wind-down windows, trafficator ears and the fitting of Treadmaster flooring.

Please tell me those awful rear lights/indicator units will be replaced too.

My bus number (if any): RT3316

Where are all these parts that will be used for the "unrefurbishing"? Not many trafficator ears or original rear light units about, unless the secret hoards are raided!!

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458, RM 1585 and loads of RTs

Maybe the LTM will be 'ordered' to release some spares for the project ? Or a new batch of all bits required will be commissioned and we will all benefit from the extras manufactured - perhaps our Association could do a bit of digging through their contacts at TFL just in case there is an opportunity for some manufacturing collaboration ?

My bus number (if any): RML2747

Why do you think the LTM have any spares Graham? There are probably spares about but not aware that the LTM have them. There may be lens for indicators about, but where are all the winding windows and lamp bodies to come from? Certainly not PVS. Yes it would be good if whoever gets the contract (if there is indeed one) to take the opportunity to work with the RMOA on parts that others may want. The RMOA have a wish list.

Talking of PVS, are there still seat frames there? ...

Brian, I'm sure the LTM must have some spare window winders and lamps at Acton to service their own fleet, probably not enough to unrefurbish visually the whole 15's fleet. It would be a shame if tfl 'requisitioned' what spares they do have, as once the heritage buses eventually go out of favour they will be sold far and wide. The LTM fleet are more original and hopefully more permanent. I would have thought the lamp bodies can be remade fairly easily. Perhaps the replacement windows will be a newly manufactured design that resembles the original ones visually ?

Graham Brown
Brian, I'm sure the LTM must have some spare window winders and lamps at Acton to service their own fleet,
Sorry to labour the point Graham, what what fleet does the LTM have? As far as I know its RMs sit around in Acton and Covent garden and would not need " spars". Are you think of the London Bus Museum at Brooklands that has an active fleet?

It's not "window winders" they need, it's drop light assemblies, the shortage of which led to the fitting of hopper windows in the first place

Sorry Brian when I mentioned winders I was referring to the complete wind down window assemblies - my mistake - I just can't think of anywhere else that might have any spares that could be requestioned by tfl thats all

Maybe there's a plan to remanufacture new window winding sets, while they are at it the could retrofit the LT fleet which, is no Longer claimed to have air conditioning - it's now air recirculation.

What ever it is, it's pretty awful on far too many of the type. They either stink of recirculated BO or you bake and gasp on the upper deck.

As with several other modern types, simple old style wind down windows rather than the useless hopper types would solve the problem. And save a fortune in energy costs to boot.

Like the bell cord, just because it is age old does not mean it is outmoded.

If it works........

Mark Kehoe

If it works........

Bell cord? that's too analogue. It just wouldn't 'interface' with one of the dozens of microprocessors. By the time the signal had been converted to digital, prioritised by the system and the master brain had had a think about it, the vehicle would be going through the bus wash at the end of the day.

Think you hit the digital hammer directly on the microprocessor head there!

lots of different rumours floating around , raffles and auctions included . even been suggested the ex 9's will be defurbed and replace the 15's !
Guess we'll have to be patient and see

My bus number (if any): RML2391

'Defurbed' RM's on the 15's ! Don't know where they will find enough AEC 590's and Wilson boxes ? - (only joking Brian)

Right I tell you lot something ltm and cbm got spares for they own routemasters also the 15h tender is up as well next year and stagecoach don't want it also I heard that 1736 and 1640 are off to the 15 whoever gets the routes also the others will be sold via sealed bids so there also the dartmasters are owned by tfl apart from 324 652 and 871 what are owned by stagecoach so there you have it

roy
Mark Kehoe

If it works........

Bell cord? that's too analogue. It just wouldn't 'interface' with one of the dozens of microprocessors. By the time the signal had been converted to digital, prioritised by the system and the master brain had had a think about it, the vehicle would be going through the bus wash at the end of the day.

At the risk of being pedantic, the bell cord and everything else electrical on the Routemaster except the ssg and speedo drive is digital the latter only are analogue :)

My bus number (if any): 2276 1001 806

I must remember not to poke my finger into these matters!

:) you might get a shock... zzzzzzzz...

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Just to let you know that I will be picking up the first of ten RM's from WH garage tomorrow which are being refurbished for further work on the H15 by Hants & Dorset Trim at Eastleigh. The work will include the re-instatement of Treadmaster flooring, original RM moquette, a repaint, panel replacement and a number of other items. Will let you know which bus is first and what other work is going to be carried out when I know more.

Chris Sullivan
Just to let you know that I will be picking up the first of ten RM's from WH garage tomorrow which are being refurbished for further work on the H15 by Hants & Dorset Trim at Eastleigh. The work will include the re-instatement of Treadmaster flooring, original RM moquette, a repaint, panel replacement and a number of other items. Will let you know which bus is first and what other work is going to be carried out when I know more.

Will this include replacement of hopper windows with originals as well Chris?

My bus number (if any): RM967 (Driver/Restoration consultant)

Picked up first bus, RM 2060, on Tuesday. Eventful journey. On the Westway the wind ripped two of the N/S advert panels off and I had to stop and remove them then on the elevated section of the M4 the wind took care of the other two N/S panels and I had to stop and remove them. Torrential wind and rain but bus is now safely at Eastleigh. At present the hopper windows will be retained.

The afternoon tea bus has its front hoppers unsealed to provide some fresh air, so it can be done. Thoughtful crews on the 9H made sure that the heater taps under the canopy (which replaced the Ranco valve), were turned OFF during the summer months, and ran in service with the heater switch ON, which supplied some cool air to the saloons. Also, if people look at photos of the 9H from 2012 onwards they will see the front windows disguised to look a bit like wind down ones, an idea already used by a clever RM owner in the North East. Also, reinstating the red windscreen surround on all but 1204 made the fleet look more like the originals,care being taken to mask the rubber surround. The grilles received chrome motorcycle tape if the dreaded bus wash scrubbed the silver paint off, and by the end, all had London Transport triangles either made in the Garage,or supplied by Squirrel. The misplaced fleetnames on 1218, 1562, and 1627 were down to the contractor who did the mini refurbs in 2011/12, as well as the faded paint,(alleged two pack), on 1562,1640, and 1218. Also, the seats were re foamed and re trimmed in London Buses moquette.The Engineering Manager,(who kept a close eye on the fleet, with the Workshop Manager) also periodically sent platform rails away for powder coating. The problem of the bell being inaudible in the lower saloon was a result of the I Bus fitment, as the bell was re sited to nearly the front of the cab. Another problem which First/Tower and Stagecoach had was that a vicious bus wash can smash the offside headlamp panel, resulting in loads of filler being used to repair. As far as the indicators go, the front flush mounted ones are not suitable for the simple reason that they are not visible from the rear, as we know the front of the RM tapers inward at the front. I think the rear lamps were a good compromise as they were a unit that was in the parts bin, incorporate a rear fog and reversing lamp, and by releasing three screws and swinging the lenses to one side, bulbs can be changed in seconds. The double wiper arrangement was very good, the downside being that the flag unit was moved, and the stop flag is no longer in the Driver's line of sight In everyday service, these RM's gave very little trouble, starter ring gears seemed to wear out quickly, also flasher units and the unit which inhibits engaging gear until the footbrake is pressed, being the main cause of on the road breakdowns. The batteries,(2x 12 volt) never seemed to be up to the job either. The occasional accumulator boost, and servicing kept them going. The workshop staff,(including Patrick, as seen on TV) and the coachmakers, were most enthusiastic about wielding the spanners on these motors. "Look, nearly sixty years old, and still work so sweet", that's what the man said.

My bus number (if any): 9h

Right peeps stagecoach own rm324/652 and 871 all the others are owned by tfl and tower own 1627 and srm3

Ltm have no spares we have all parts re made

Nice one Chris I thought they repainted that in new buses livery

The list of fleet numbers on my desk says the following, so I assume they are all owned by TfL. 324, 652, 871, 1993, 1941, 1968, 2050, 2060, 2071 & 2098. Interestingly, from memory, 2050 carries body B 1968.

I remember seeing RM1968 standing outside Park Royal's works when it was brand new! We walked along the canal tow path and managed to peer over the concrete wall. It was the only bus out there that day, much to our disappointment. Nice to know it's still going.

My bus number (if any): RML2532,GS67,MLL721,MLL738 and an RT.