ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tyres

Can anyone tell me if there has been a change in the law regarding Tyres.
I have been told that irrespective of condition if a tyre is over a certain age it is illegal.
This may well be old news but I have only just heard of it and the person who told me said that he thought that it is already the law and if not soon will be.

My bus number (if any): RML2478

Re: Tyres

It is NOT the law but guidance has been issued to VOSA or whatever they're called this week to "suggest" that tyres over 10 years old should not be used on the fronts of buses following the A3 crash a couple of years ago. There's a suggestion that this may become law sometime in the future, but this will cause problems with the historic vehicle owners who simply cannot get the size tyres they need because they haven't been made for 20 years or more!

I can see the point of the tyre age to some degree. Class 5 buses are treated differently to class 6 buses where if the Traffic commissioner issues "guidance" if the operator fails to follow it, he will be hauled before a public inquiry and risk the loss of said licence.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Graham I posted these links a few weeks ago on the subject
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/public-service-vehicles-tyre-age-recommendation

Also a link for a bill that is going through parliament now to make it law if successful, it appears to relate to all tyres on buses and coaches

http://services.parliament.uk/bills/2014-15/tyresbusesandcoaches/stages.html

As Roy says It doesn't bode well for preserved buses on split rims that see only occasional use !

My bus number (if any): RML2747

Although it is probably a forlorn hope that common sense might prevail in Westminster, there is a 2J speed restriction category (40mph) for tyres available for use by local authority vehicles. It would seem that there may be a case for proposing that vehicles over a certain age and incapable of exceeding that speed be exempted from the age limit proposal.

So if I have this right a law will probably be passed preventing Public service vehicles from using tyres over 10 yrs old but Historic vehicles will be OK.
I recently received a lecture from a VOSA man who told me i should not be using the bus lane as the bus I was driving is no longer a bus,but a Historic vehicle.
I wonder what it would be if I get pulled in for a tyre check?
Seriously what is the answer to this problem?

My bus number (if any): RML2478

Any vehicle with more than 8 passenger seats is a bus for bus lane use UNLESS the sign has the word LOCAL on it which means only buses on registered local services can use it. In London the wording is TfL Buses or similar, I forget the exact wording. See Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions (TSRGD on the government website for exact details)

Been there, dunnit, won the case.

In London there is a mix of Bus Only / Bus Lane signs with the word 'Local' written on the image of a bus and 'TfL Authorised Buses Only' to ward off anything other than a London service bus. They make up a very small percentage, but you have to be eagle eyed if your driving anything other than a bus in TfL service, or you can get done. The common way is by CCTV, as it is everywhere in London.

All the other bus lanes are standard bus lanes and are used by coaches too (including private excursion coaches).

Even if your bus is void of seats, it is still a bus. If it's classified on the V5 as a bus, it can use a bus lane unless it is one of the above mentioned ones.

I'll have to get some new tyres when my bus is on the road again, so I'll be keeping a check on this subject. I can see there being a big demand for the 900x20 as there are so many Routemasters in regular private use. The metric wheels look awful and detract from the pristine presentation that most of these buses have. Perhaps RMA will consider looking into bulk buying them from China, a container at a time?

My bus number (if any): RT3316

Most of the automotive stuff that comes in from China is fit for one purpose only... filling the scrap skip.

if we were to "update" the wheels from spilt rims, is it possible to get them on a more modern 900/22 with the same wheel nut pattern?

I would consider doing this with mine and painting them the right colour to it looks similar, as my bus is never going to be 100% original how ever hard I try?

I say that as I have RT rims on the front of mine at the moment and RM on the back so they don't match anyway.

My bus number (if any): RMF2771

There is a company in South Wales that can make the modern rims to take 10R225 tubeless tyres, they quoted me bout £325 per rim if that's any help. The cone type fittings should be the same and the rims will have the additional AEC holes.

I've just bought a set of 1000x20 cross-ply tyres for BEA MLL738 from Big Tyres in Nottingham at quite a sensible price with tubes and flaps. they also list 900x20 cross-ply and radial, all made by Mitas in Czech Republic to latest EU spec. they are also marked "only for use on vehicles registered before 1990".

A couple of the old tyres I took off, whilst they had good tread and sidewalls, were absolute b'stards to get odd. The inner lip of the tyre had perished and moulded itself to the rim. Good job I didn't decide to use them in service! They've been on the bus since the 1970s from what I can make out.

My bus number (if any): GS67 RML2532

I need to buy 6 tyres, 900 x 20
Roy could you tell us the cost of your tyres inc. flaps, tubes and carriage

Thanks
Rob

http://www.bigtyres.co.uk/ ask for a quote, 900x20 will be cheaper than 1000x20. Look in the Mitas range or try Mitas Tyres in Kings Lynn, the main importer.