ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Earls Court Event - UPDATE

Thank you everyone who has contacted me regarding this event on Tuesday 30th September. It looks like there will be a good few Routemasters in attendance in what should be a fitting end to our 60th Anniversary year.

I have copied below a recent email form the organiser, together with their contact details, should you wish to bring a bus along please get in touch direct...

I understand that the RMA is still beating the drum for us in terms of encouraging vehicles to come - for which many thanks.

On our part, we now have promised to us:-

RM1

RM2

RML3

RML2760

FRM1

Three more of the RM family:-

(i) from the Bluebell,
(ii) from Red Routemaster, and
(iii) Mark Greenwood's RML Bus Bar

We are also asking for CRL4

and, of course, good evening weather on the day for photography on the Brompton forecourt.

We can accommodate at least up to 20 vehicles in what will be an almost certainly never-to-be-repeated occasion, given the imminent demise of the Exhibition Centre - demolition is due to start in December.

We hope to have about 300 visitors on site, but there may be more given the line-up, the occasion, the location and (hopefully) free trips around the area.

We continue to have success in securing discount meal vouchers for crews in local eateries and we are trying to establish a pool of money for contributions to fuel costs.

Given the above, could I ask you if you would please encourage your members again to come, especially those who would not have too far to travel?

If they would like to come, could they contact both me and my colleague Nick Woollven (see above)?

We look forward to hearing from them.

With many thanks for your help and assistance so far

Kind regards

Mark Balaam
Chairman
Highways, Traffic and Transport Sub-Group
Earl's Court Society
020 8650 0667
07843 234002
email: markb521@hotmail.com

My bus number (if any): RM548 and RM765

Re: Earls Court Event - UPDATE

Very nice to try and recreate a period scene at such a landmark building.

I do hope though that someone will ensure that if it is to be a good photographic opportunity, that it is going to be devoid ( at least for a short time ) of Hi Viz jackets, which defeats the object in one fell swoop.

Plenty of people in period attire, be it uniforms, hats or overcoats would be something to add to the scene.

Brilliant event saw the road run saw the line at front of earls court well done all pics on Facebook and Flickr

The event whilst a milestone lacked people.

Seems to have been arranged for the old school club to take photos.

It's a ashame as it damages sponsorship for future type events.

To be honest we as RedRoutemaster are quite embarssed to have been present.

Adam

Totally agree with you Adam same old club and cliques again even the photographers where moaning about this take that sign out of the window and move this bus here and get out of the way to
People so I am fed up with the same old thing that's why I might not do events again.

At least Adam you provide a unique fleet sir far different from the norm

Is there more than one James B posting here? Reading the posts above, I'm confused.
"Brilliant event saw the road run, saw the line at front of earls court well done"

Now it was a pile of shite, make up your mind!!

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458, RM 1585 and loads of RTs

Gents

Thanks for your feedback on this event (both on this forum and privately) yes there was a lack of publicity on behalf of the organisers, but I think they were trying to create something a little different and unique compared to some of the previous garage open days and bus rallies that we have all attended this year.

Different in that it was held on a weekday evening and unique in that Earls Court is being knocked down in a matter of weeks, so this was going to be the last chance to get a photo of RM1 (with other Routemasters) at the place she was unveiled in 1954.

To give you a bit of background to this event, the organiser contacted me earlier this year, he wanted to hold this on the Friday of Routemaster 60, but after discussing the idea with the other RMOOA committee members, we decided we did not want to take any attraction away from Finsbury Park, so I suggested to the organiser that he holds the event closer to the actual anniversary of the 1954 Motor Show.

It was never going to be a big public event (for the reasons I have already mentioned) but more of a selective gathering/photo opportunity for enthusiasts; after all do the general public care much that RM1 was unveiled at Earls Court in 1954? Probably not, I would suggest only us Routemaster enthusiasts appreciate the historical connection that the venue holds with our buses.

I spoke to the organiser after the event and he was very happy with the turnout, he asked me to thank Association members who made the effort to turn up with their bus, indeed those who contacted him direct would have probably been copied into the "thank you" email he sent himself.

As the Events officer for the Association it is very difficult to pre-judge how good or bad an event will be (especially when we have no control over the organisation) we do get asked to attend many events throughout the year, so I have to make a judgement on which ones are worth promoting, I fully appreciate the effort (and cost) involved in members getting their buses to events and on this occasion I did feel that with the historic connection that this event was worth promoting; although it turned out not to be the crowd puller/commercial success some had been hoping for, I think it will be remembered for all the right reasons in the years to come.

David Lee
Events Officer
Routemaster Association

My bus number (if any): RM548 and RM765

Right let me put the post right the first one was saying about the road one and having the ones at the front

The second one was referring what Adam was saying regarding the lack of ppl and the same old club also the photographers at front some were embarrassing telling crews with rudeness to move get out of the way take that sign down.

Also there's no need for swearing on here as well

A point well made,David. You can't please everyone and,indeed why should you ? Well done to those involved.....

David comment's from the association is much appreciated.

Having also received feedback, I would say something that needs to be address with event organisers is making everyone feel welcome. The event had a very funny atmosphere and it didn't feel like we should've been at it.

I'll had that from a few, including people I invited and took.

Adam

I went wearing my professional hat and was very surprised to find no other media coverage.
Given it was a weekday, in Central London, and quite poignant as it marked a landmark for London's most foremost international icon and the beginning of the end for one of West London's international landmarks.
It should have been a media nugget.

Earl's Court, from a photographic and bystanders point of view, turned out to be rather good and spectacular location.
Both the front and back of Earl's Court are quite good and the buses fitted the location really well.
The evening was blessed with really good light so was good for anyone from serious photographers to smartphone cameras.

In this respect it was well organised to a point. Thought had clearly been given to keeping the dreaded hi-viz clad officials clear of the vehicles, as well as the set ups and consequently it was good for pictures.

But a few things were a bit of a let down.
From a media point of view, the picture of the day should have been RM 1 outside the Main entrance at dusk with the famous Earl's Court neon signs lit. That really should have been thought of and arranged as it would have also attracted passers by as dusk fell.
Some simple lighting on the key exhibit would have also made a spectacular sight.

But in spite of several people doing their utmost to help,Getting RM 1 back to the front of the place for just 10 mins simply did not happen.
Organisers simply could not be found by anyone, and there was nobody to support them.

Instead, two exemplary other buses stood in followed up by a series of other Routemasters and it made some decent pictures, but not the picture that tells the story of the day.

Many thanks to all those owners and drivers who took the trouble

The real shame was the lack of visitors, Earl's Court is located between 2 busy stations, it is much loved by locals and West Londoners and the Routemaster is in most tourists top 5 of 'must see' things in London and despite what TfL might spin, is still the London bus.

But it had the look and feel of a private, invitation only, event, pretty much vindicated by the large amount of passers by gathering at both gates. No one really bothered to welcome or entice them in.

It could have been a really successful venture if the publicity had been sufficient.

Since then, publications in 23 countries have requested pictures from the event and Broadcast quality video footage has been requested. Most overseas broadcasters are aghast that there was no coverage by the BBC or other TV news gatherers, but they simply did not know. None of them did.
An opportunity missed. A press pre-event photocall would have been quite popular.

As a bus folk's jolly it was fine, but it could have been a great general visitor spectacle, especially with the decent weather.

Just a note to say how good the pictures I saw on the Express website were and really appreciate you sending me a set of the uncropped pictures. Really super.

Many thanks to you Mark.

Jack