ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Windows.

I spent the weekend polishing the old girl and she looks a treat but I just cant get the windows to look good.
Some windows appear to be glass and some "Perspex" but all seem to have a Haze about them that I just can't polish out,does anyone have any suggestions or is it a case that they will have to be replaced if so what sort of cost are we looking at.

My bus number (if any): RML2478

Re: Windows.

You might have a mixture of coated anti etching glass and old glass. Not sure if the coating can be removed successfully or not, but the hazing cannot if it's not coated.
Only perspex should be in the destination frames or doors and that can be easily replaced if marked.

Only real solution is the replace the glass. Plain windows are relatively easy to get and not that expensive, check out the "glass in your bus" topic on the ROOF website.
PSV Glass who I can thoroughly recommend have a base at High Wycombe and another north of Manchester, but for bulk items they also deliver. They order in if they don't have stock. Hope not too many drop light glasses need replacing!

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458, RM 1585 and loads of RTs

Best order some window rubber as well, you'll have immense difficulty re-using the old stuff as it's about 40 years old!

My bus number (if any): RML2532

It may seem incredible, but glass, as every chemistry teacher will tell you, is a liquid.

I've never quite got my head around that one. One facet of this, is that glass, as it ages, can change it's form.

It's most noticeable when looking at very old stained glass windows where the glass has streaked and the colour is lighter at top. It is often also thinner at the top and thicker at the bottom.

This takes hundreds of years to occur.

But mass produced glass products of more recent times also show ageing in a few ways.

Camera lenses - even much revered Leica lenses can 'bloom' over time. Moisture and temperature extremes can do this.
The glass becomes slight opaque or 'milky'. The lens element can be repolished but it is rarely successful. Modern coatings now seem to have arrested the problem over the last 25-30 years.

Toughened glass also seems to suffer this problem and the glass starts to go a bit grey and dull not just on the exterior surface but in the depth of the glass.

With laminated glass, moisture attacks the plastic laminate and it starts to delaminate with white clouding forming around the outer edges of the laminate.

Other effects are from cleaning and pollutants. Even washing detergents and the like can be mildly corrosive which over time etch the glass. Just like glasses in a domestic dishwasher.

Some glass ( toughened flat glass in particular can be repolished industrially. It can make a huge difference but not if the problem is within the glass rather than on the surface.

It's probably cheaper and quicker to replace the glass than try to clean it. Like the Rolls Royce, get a new one when the ahs tray's full!

Hi Graham - if your problem is scratches you might be interested in an item in the Forum reference section ("Glass for your bus") which I sent in about using cerium oxide. I haven't tried it but you may think it's worth a go...

Brian

My bus number (if any): RML2302

The problem I have with my GS windows is that they are stained with aviation spirit from being parked in west London for years under the flight path to LHR!It seems nothing on earth will get rid of it.

I have the almost obligatory scratches on the top deck windows[ one guy at Finsbury Park even bragged to me that he thought he was responsible for some of them!]
The glass seems to have a haze actually in the glass not on the glass if that makes sense.I am going to try cerium oxide which sounds suspiciously like a substance i was instructed to use back in the last century when I was an apprentice fitter,that was called Jewelers rouge it didn't work but it kept me quiet for hours as I tried to impress the foreman by doing a good job.

My bus number (if any): RML2478