ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
RML 2714

There are many schools that use contracted buses and coaches to get pupils to swimming and other sports facilities some distance away but here`s something unusual - and possibly unique for a Routemaster.

RML 2714 is used at Stowe School near Buckingham for internal transport from the main buildings to various sports pitches that are up to a mile away whilst still on the overall site.

I was there with a group a couple of days ago for a guided tour of several of the State Rooms of the large house that became an exclusive school in the 1920`s. Anyone who can appreciate craftsmanship on a grand scale would find some of the carved plaster ceilings truly amazing - the Marble Hall especially. But equally amazing was the reaction of several of my group on coming out of the main building into heavy rain and finding an instantly recognisable red Routemaster parked by our coach. Whilst some made a run for the shelter of the coach, others stood in the rain fumbling in bags for a camera to get a picture of an iconic bus by an iconic building. It could only happen with a Routemaster!

At certain times of the day the bus is kept busy ferrying pupils to and from the various facilities and did several trips in the space of half an hour usually with full loads. With the fairly flat and open nature of the site, the bus can be seen on the move from some distance which makes for some bizarre viewing in such an unlikely location. But it`s good to see it being used - even if it did have rather a lot of muddy boots and kit bags on board!

My thanks to Stowe School for permission to put the pictures onto this forum having approved them.

Re: RML 2714

Nice to see it being used for its real purpose and not stuck in a barn!

I used to use my fleet of RMs on school contracts in the Streatham area in the 1990's.

My bus number (if any): GS67 RML2532

I believe David Cooper ( a route 2 hire) drives this around for the school quite a bit and probably organises maintainance etc . I'm sure he would provide more info about the use of the bus

mark

My bus number (if any): RML2391

Hi all , I had the pleasure of driving this bus when London Heritage Travel of Essex owned it , I did a PH to the Excel centre in East London . It was a very good bus to drive when driven through the gears as aposed to in auto

My bus number (if any): None yet!!!!!