ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Horizontal play in spring-loaded steering rod end

This spring-loaded gap opens up to about 5mm on the N/S but does not open on the O/S. It occurs when he steering is rocked with the engine running - power assisted, but not when it is off.

The New Routemaster manual says this horizontal play in the spring-loading should not be confused with horizontal play in the joint. I am worried though as it is not happening on the O/S.

It looks like there might be an adjustment to the spring loading. Is this the head of a screw that can be turned a quarter of a turn at a time and locked with the nut and bolt?

Any advice would be appreciated. Apologies if I have named the parts incorrectly. They didn't teach me any of this terminology at medical school.

My bus number (if any): RMs 238, 471. 2213 & GS17

Re: Horizontal play in spring-loaded steering rod end

First make sure the patient has nil by mouth for at least 8 hours before the operation...
you're right, remove the thin nut and bolt and you MAY be able to turn the screw to eliminate the play. However, the screws are usually seized up and you'll have to remove the entire rod and do the job on the work bench.

The threads are left or right hand threaded, so beware.

To remove the joints you'll need a heavy duty ball joint splitter. With the rod removed, you'll probably hsve to heat the errant end with either a gax axe or heavy duty blow lamp to free the rust off the inside. You'll need a bit of flat bar that fits the slot in the screw head and a large adkustable spanner to fit that. With the joint hot and gentle movement side to side, the screw may eventually move. Then you'll find which hand thread it has!

I usually remove the whole gubbins, clean everything, check for wear and re-assemble using clean grease. You need to tighten the screw until there is virtually no movement, but there should be very slight movement.

Goog luck!

My bus number (if any): RML2532