ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Another one saved!

The total of Routemasters in the UK has increased by one this weekend with the repatriation of RML 2485 from France.

I was made aware of the bus being seemingly `abandoned` in Cherbourg via a friend who found it by chance in the summer of 2012. On making his next hypermarket visit in May 2013, pictures were taken and given to me with the opinion that the bus hadn`t moved since he`d seen it previously. Then in August this year, a different friend (who speaks fluent French) had an opportunity to find the bus. The pictures taken then - and compared to those of a year earlier - confirmed that the bus hadn`t moved so enquiries were made to Cherbourg Football Club who have owned the bus since 2004. Within twenty four hours a reply came back that they had no further use for the bus and might consider selling it. So, on October 26th a trip over there revealed the following:

it seems that the bus was used to promote the local football team and was driven the short distance into town on match days as a ticket sales point - hence the makeshift `table tops` in the lower deck. Otherwise, internally, it hasn`t changed much since leaving London. Outside storage has obviously changed the exterior appearance - and revealed that this was once a green bus with body 2443. A few bits are missing and there is some body damage but nothing too serious. Mechanically it appears complete and having been put on charge prior to our visit, the bus started first time and was capable of moving.

With a sale agreed, the bus was driven to the docks yesterday (Nov 15) to be handed over for the ferry crossing to Poole.

Arrival into Poole last night around 2230

And in pouring rain at first light this morning (16 Nov) the preparation to leave the docks;

Almost immediately on leaving the port we got stopped at the lifting bridge

Finally, a few miles on near Ferndown

The bus is going into storage pending a decision on its future. Nothing has been decided. The opportunity to bring it back to the UK was strengthened by having the extraordinary facility of significant assistance of a fluent French speaker who works in the freight department of the ferry company and understands legal documentation and procedures for vehicle shipment. It is unlikely that few preservationist could ever have a potentially daunting process made so easy - irresistibly so with all language barriers between seller and purchaser overcome plus the transit arrangements being taken care of.
Maybe in due course there could be more to report but for now it`s another one saved with enough potential to be of use somewhere, sometime.

Re: Another one saved!

According to Ian Smith's RML Bus Stop page, 2485 was fitted with a Cummins C engine in 1993, but that very much looks like an Iveco lump under the bonnet Neil? It also has Country Body 2443.

My bus number (if any): RM967 (Driver/Restoration consultant)

It`s just about possible to make out the shape of a blue C for Cummins if you look above the injector pipes.

I had already written into the text that it has body 2443.

You did very well to get that back and save it from being converted to a "food truck" as so many have been Neil, bonus having the seats in place!" And handy is was at Cherbourg, although French registered you could have driven it if it was registered as a "collection" bus (over 30 years old needs no CT (MOT).

RMLs fetch silly money in France, We got a CT for RML 2608 prior to sale, it needed all 4 brake drums changed and that fetched over £35 000. One RML "food truck" is currently for sale for 65 000€ although it is expensively kitted out. Topping that though, there is a 1957 Leyland Titan going for 80 000!

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458, RM 1585 and loads of RTs

Now that I`ve read that Brian, I think we did do very well!
Had it been any further into France and not capable of running it would have been a different proposition.
I doubt there will ever be another example of an abandoned Routemaster being found outside the UK but within two miles of a scheduled regular freight carrying ferry to get it home - and with such invaluable assistance at hand to make the task so easy to follow through.

I believe the other RMC to my 1458 is still sitting outside the Bowling Alley in Vannes.No idea if they still want it though. Must pop in one day!

My bus number (if any): RTL 960 RMC 1458, RM 1585 and loads of RTs

A good find indeed! An RT changed hands in Germany 2 years ago for euro65k; it drove from south of Stuttgart to Geldern near the Dutch border and the gearbox seized solid. It now has an engine about to fall apart, so not really a bargain.

I was offered one of the ex Bus Profils RMs from the south of France that had had a partial burn-out; it was driveable but may not have been solid enough to stand the journey back to the UK either under power or being towed. The cost of towing and dismantling made it an uneconomic proposition.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Nice to c it back ex london sovereign bus for a month in jan 2004 I hope you sort the bounce out because when it was on the 13 it bounced down the roads lap keep it in London utd condition cos we don't have any

I understand the bus is being stored in Ferndown where I live. Is there any chance of me having a look at her. Thanks.

My bus number (if any): RM2116

No it`s not!
On leaving Poole a short stop was made in a lay-by near Ferndown so that the person who first alerted me to the bus being out of use in Cherbourg could have a quick look at it and take some pictures. After all, if it hadn`t been for him the whole adventure to bring the bus back to the UK wouldn`t have happened. The bus then went on a very long way from there to storage.

Thanks for your reply - much appreciated.

My bus number (if any): RM2116

That's a bit rude to Pete wasn't it Pete only asked you nicely and you spoke to him with rudeness. If I spoke to someone like that on here I get moaned at so apologise to Pete now