ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tyre age

Hi. This might be one for Roys.
Re tyre age law?
Do we know if the 10 year rule is going to be on all axles
Or just steering axle.?
I know the law hasn't been passed in parliament yet but where
I keep my Routemaster Vosa were down checking vehicles over
10 years old for tyre dates.
Your thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Thanks
Brian. RML2616

My bus number (if any): RML2616

Re: Tyre age

There is no "tyre law" as such, but VOSA/DVSA/whatever they're called this week "don't like to see" tyres over 10 years old on the steer axles of buses.

I recently changed the tyres on MLL738 which I know have been on that bus since I bought it in 1992. They have good tread on the rears and are of a good make (Continental). One of them was really stubborn to get off as the inner bead had perished to such a degree that it had almost welded itself to the rim! It goes to show that tread and appearance of the sidewall is nothing to go by!

My bus number (if any): RML2532

The proposed 'bus and coach tyre bill' gets it's second reading in Parliament 27th Nov 2014

http://services.parliament.uk/bills/2014-15/tyresbusesandcoaches/stages.html

My bus number (if any): RML2747

Hi thanks for the replies.
Roy we shall just have to wait & see.
Will have to take as new Michelins off front & put on
Rear & put new ones on front if this is passed.
They are date marked 26/05
Many thanks
Brian.

I'd tend to leave the new Michelins on the front. If you're on class 5 VOSA are less fussy so I've heard. If one chose, one could always say the tyres comply with what is in the testers' manual and the law.

the fact that VOSA may not "like" them is immaterial; it's what's in "the book" that counts. Is tyre age a reason for failure? Answer NO.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Hi Roy,
Sorry I should have said earlier mine is on a class 6.
I had heard that class 5 will not come under any new regulations
But we will have to wait & see.
Thanks Roy for your time.
Brian

Bus and Coach tyre age bill second reading in parliament now put back to 27th Feb 2015 !

My bus number (if any): RML2747