ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Speedo head and sender wiring

I was wondering can offer some advise on the following.

My speed sender and speedo head both had their wires cut since before I owned her!
There are 3 wires taped together in the dash labelled speedo but not labelled individually
These have been traced to the cut connection to the speed sender with an addition red (poss +) and a green (poss -)

The speedo head is a VDO (possible refurb one) with 3 connections + - and W (G has no pin)
The speed sender is a smiths not sure what age and has + - 1 2 3

I presume the 3 connections on the head are 1 2 3

Does any one know if these unit are compatible (wouldn't be surprised if they are not with things I've found on my bus)
If they are does anyone know which order to wire the connections. I have my theories but wondered if anyone else has any knowledge on this

All units are removed so I can bench test

Much appreciated in advanced

My bus number (if any): RMF2771 (RCN701)

Re: Speedo head and sender wiring

I'm not an electrical expert but would suggest the 2 are not compatible. It appears the VDO head needs one pulse wire, the smiths sender gives 3 pulse wires with switched + and -. You may need to find a Smiths head to fit it. I may have one on the shelf as I remember buying one in for a customer who never collected or paid for it.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

As Roys says not compatible

The speedo head will have just 3 terminals marked 1 2 and 3 and will also have an odometer ie mileage reading as part of the clock. These wire to the corresponding 1 2 and 3 on the generator unit

Will the generator unit you have actually fit to the gearbox?

HTH

Mark

My bus number (if any): RM1414 sort of

the sender came off of my bus! so did the head! i'm just trying to work out what is happening and getting her working as she should!

right soo after having the sender unit apart i have discovered why the wires were cut (and i don't think i mentioned before, the connecting shaft to the drive shaft removed)

the two parts are clearly not compatible and i think a past owner connecting them up caused a short circuit resulting in the following damage.

is anyone able to recommend a sender and connecting parts to work with my speedo head or a complete new system?

i do not want/need a tachograph as she will never be used for hire or reward

My bus number (if any): RMF2771 (RCN701)

Speak to Dave at Airlec, Rye 01797 224466 he may be able to help.

My bus number (if any): RML2532