ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gearbox Issues

Have fitted a new gearbox but still no gears... Any ideas as to what it could be??

Re: Gearbox Issues

Give us a clue?

where did the box come from?

Is the air pressure ok, is the air pressure getting to the gearbox EP block?

With the engine stopped and the ignition ON, do you hear any clicking from the EP box or hiss of air when you move the gear selector?

On some types of gear control panel, there is a 2 amp (I think) fuse in the side, that could be blown. If it is, change it. Chances are it will blow again and that means get the control board rebuilt.

Daft I know, but did you connect the prop shaft, is there oil in the flywheel, is the prop shaft turning?

Maybe they've been abducted by alien beings? :)

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Re: Gearbox Issues

Tony, it could even be something as simple as perished gearbox piston seals. When I bought RML2271 almost ten years ago, we successfully managed to drive her to Scotland without any problems. When I took her out on the road the following week however, I found that I had no 1ST OR 4TH gear. Fortunately, I was able to source a suppler who advised me to get ALL the piston seals replaced and once work was undertaken I had no further problems with the gears.

Out of interest, is the Routemaster in question RML2523?

My bus number (if any): RM967 (Driver/Restoration consultant)