ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
MD 60 and the Ensignbus running day

After missing the last couple of events for various reasons I managed to make it yesterday. As usual it set the standard for these occasions so congratulations all round, but especially for MD60 and to Paul Almeroth without whom this magnificent vehicle would never have seen the light of day again. I think it is something like 8 years since he first set out upon the mission of rescuing it and sinking a fortune into a very fraught restoration, which required the sale of his AV760 powered RMC to kick off the bank account. Thank you also to the Newman family for stepping in to ensure that the project was completed after some Northern shenanigans.

The result is that a vehicle which would otherwise have been dismissed as unworthy has risen from a pile of rust into a Swan, "and a very fine Swan indeed". I had one rounder on it, but I gather that it was virtually packed all day, it was certainly a hit with a group of very well behaved teenage bus enthusiasts. I was advised that a back seat was recommended to savour the full auditory experience, which was exactly right - the Scania 11 litre engine sans-turbo makes an impressive and pleasant noise along with considerable amounts of GO.

On topic Paul was explaining the intricacies of the interior heating system and LT's modifications to the the MCW control installation. Clearly a lot of thought and research had been undertaken into providing a warm bus. It worked well.

It was great to see a bus forever associated with largely forgotten sarf east Lunnun take centre stage, hopefully there will in future be permission for it to enter the LEZ FOC for a reunion at Plumstead garage.

Re: MD 60 and the Ensignbus running day

I had a fab too did what I wanted to do missed out I riding the md but did rm1943 and rcl2226 two mor rms I can cross off and say i did not many for me to do now. Also md60 is a ex Peckham bus not plumstead

Credit to the newmans and all the bus fans who came out.

You are correct Roy, MD 60 was at both Plumstead garages from 2/80 to withdrawal 12/82.
This is a tremendous achievement by Paul considering what utter rust buckets the MDs were. Full credit to Ensigns for getting this and RTW 335 finished after failings by the original restoring company.

My bus number (if any): RMC 1458, RM 1585, RTL 960 and several RTs

Thanks for the kind words Roy. Yes quite a lot of time, effort and money went in to MD 60. I hope those that travelled on it enjoyed it as much I did driving it, MD 60 really is a dream come true for me.
Paul.

Paul i got to say top marks to you sir