ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Going for gold

It would have been a very small window of opportunity to get this picture of RM 1983 between paint spray and baking oven. Can`t recall why I was at Aldenham on April 12th 1983 but this lucky chance just had to be captured on film!

To celebrate the golden jubilee of London Transport in 1983, RM 1983 ran for six months in this `gold` livery - though depending on the light conditions it didn`t always look as gold should. Each of the bus districts operated the bus for a few weeks so that it was seen all over London and suburbs. But buses that were known to be constantly on the move often suffered from less than satisfactory attention in garages that knew they wouldn`t be keeping the bus for long. As I recall, it was a good enough bus to drive by the time it arrived at Stamford Brook to be used on the 27`s. I managed to take it for a run on the 237`s too!

Re: Going for gold

We had it at Edmonton for a couple of weeks & I remember it spending most of that time parked against the rear wall with a serious engine fault. It only ventured out two or three times before moving on & I only got one photo on Sunday service 279A. The engineers were glad to see the back of it!

My bus number (if any): Formerly RML2613

I forgot to mention that RM 1983 `s arrival at Stamford Brook was timed to begin with the Open Day there. But as if to emphasise what I (and Tony) said about the downside of a bus known to be moving from garage to garage, it arrived looking very grubby and uncared for - even after what had been a fairly short spell of use. So Paul Almeroth and I spent several hours trying to clean it - which we did in Mortlake Garage as seen here on 29 May 1983.

Some may recall that I`ve put this picture on this site previously.........

Neil, you just jogged my memory. RM1983 was also allocated to Edmonton so it was timed with the open day but as it wouldn't drive, it was towed in to position by the Lister garage floor cleaner!

nice pics shame we cant get her home and restore her

Tony
Neil, you just jogged my memory. RM1983 was also allocated to Edmonton so it was timed with the open day but as it wouldn't drive, it was towed in to position by the Lister garage floor cleaner!
RM 1983 was allocated to in order, TC, V (Stamford Brook) EM , AR back to New Cross where it came from, SP, T, AP, SW, AC, AG then CA before back to Aldenham to be repainted red.

Not aware that it's gone abroad.

My bus number (if any): RMC 1458, RM 1585, RTL 960 and several RTs

Brian, it's been in Poland for a number of years. The company who bought her was called J.D.J & from memory was an English language school (I could be wrong). The last picture I saw of her looked a bit run down & it seems to have not been used for quite a while.

Thanks Tony, Wasn't there one coming back from Poland recently or was that the RMC?

I know that Martin from redroutemaster brought back RM1086 from somewhere in Europe but I'm not sure from where.

Brian, it was RML883

No that came from Czechoslovakia Andy, I believe it was something to do with Derek Griffiths, the man who facilitated the sale of RTL 988 from the UK.

RM 1086 came from Denmark.

There was an RMC for sale in Poland a while back which was identified as RM 1492.