ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
MOT classification

Hello all,
This is directed at those of us who have converted our buses to catering units or bar buses. When I bought my bus it had a Class V MOT but the MOT inspector said I needed to change it to HGV as it was no longer a passenger carrying vehicle (apparently, buses were originally classed as HGV from the manufacturer and later PSV once in service). DVSA confirmed that 'Historic Vehicle' taxation would still apply - even as a catering unit.
I'd be interested to hear from other caterting/bar bus owners of their MOT experiences and the implications of HGV testing.
Thanks. Alan - RED BUS fish & Chips

My bus number (if any): RML 2672

Re: MOT classification

Assuming it does not have a minimum of 13 seats then it is no longer a large (over 5 tonnes) private bus ie class V. So from memory, to meet HGV test requirements it will need to be fitted with rear marker boards (chevrons), side reflectors and since it weighs more than 7.5 tonnes and cannot qualify for any exemptions; a calibrated tachograph.Also it will need to be fitted with a VTG6 holder to hold the 'Plate' which displays the allocated axle and gross vehicle weights. The previous inspections of the emergency exit, much of the interior and the requirement for safety glass in certain positions will no longer be carried out. While you can often get away with screw or bolt heads protruding to the outside of the wooden lifeguards, for HGV these fixings must be dome headed.
Since the vehicle is not fitted with a Manufacturer's Plate, you will need advice from your local VoSA testing station because this will in effect be a 'First Test' appointment when a the Plating Certificate will be issued based upon the information that would be on the missing Manufacturer's Plate.

Enjoy.

The vegan restaurant RML is currently tested as a mobile home as it has cooking facilities and a seating area. It does not carry goods per se; the food that is cooked on the bus is delivered to the bus when it reaches the venue.

As for tacho requirements, I'd recommend my learned friend refers to the Lindstrom/EU Court case which I believe I may have referred to elsewhere in these pages.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Should have read Lundstrom case, linky here from a solicitor's website which gives an outline of the case, but applies only to <7.5t gvw. http://www.christabelhallas.co.uk/topic/european_court_gives_ruling_on_sponsorship_and_the_use_of_a_tachograph/

Our tree-lopper here at Southern Vectis is a converted Leyland Olympian. It is tested and taxed as an HGV, is fitted with a tacho and has to be driven by someone with a Class Two HGV, (LGV), licence.

My bus number (if any): RM 912

The vehicle is not old enough to qualify for HGV driving licence exemption, nor is it a mobile project vehicle, so as Chris has pointed out a cat C licence is required.

Perhaps the best bit is that it isn't a suitable vehicle in which to take an HGV (Cat C) driving test either.

I'd suggest that Alan has his information wrong in the first post. I don't see that buses have been classed as HGV prior to entering service; they are generally built as buses and have to undergo a Certificate of Initial Fitness before they can be used as a bus.

It may be worth trying the caravan/class 4 test as my French colleagues have done with the Vegan diner bus. I'd suggest it depends whether or not goods are being carried in connection with the trade or business. Fixed kitchen/bar equipment is not goods, it's part of the vehicle. There's also quite a few coaches converted to racing car transporters that are usually classed as caravans or dual-purpose vehicles, but that category seems to have vanished from the statute books.

Thank you all for your help. I fear I was given wrong information by the MOT inspector last year and rushed into applying for HGV classification unnessecarily and have dug myself into a hole!
I have been in contact with several other catering/bar buses and none of them are HGV, rather Class V.
I have emailed VOSA describing my unit and now waiting to see what they say -so fingers crossed as I don't want to go down the HGV road.
Alan Pell

My bus number (if any): RML 2672

Fewer than 13 seats, no sleeping and living accommodation, goods ie potatoes, fish, wrapping and drink all of which are for sale being carried, then it is what the man in the street would call a mobile shop; which is a goods vehicle. If weighs more than 3.5 tonnes then it is a heavy goods vehicle for MOT purposes and as such has an annual test(not an MOT but a Plating and Testing Examination). Since it is over 3.5 tonnes GCW it requires a tachograph to be fitted and since it is over 7.5 tonnes GVW it will require a Cat C HGV licence to drive it.

I have looked after a number of vehicles converted for alternative use. Two ex LT DM's, converted by ensign for Phillips and then purchased by Vodka Kicks owners had HGV classification but that was soon changed to some form of leisure vehicle classification. An imported Peterbilt with an on paper weight of 7.5 ton (i doubt it was that low) also ran as a leisure vehicle with no MOT, Tacho or special licence requirement. We then had built for them a brand new Volvo/East Lancs "bus" with 4 seats, four bunks, kitchen, bathroom, upper lounge and open dance/viewing area. Again no MOT etc required. Apparently VK's legal department had long discussions with VOSA, DVLA etc about what they could and couldn't do and each driver carried documentation to show the authorities as, given the nature of their use (loud music and half dressed young ladies) they were regularly pulled over and yet as far as I am aware not a single problem arose. That said a good deal of the running costs were perhaps more regular than needed checks to ensure everything was correct and safe and a paper trail existed in case a problem occurred.
I was told that carrying items for sale was wrong but for items being given away it was okay.

My bus number (if any): M1001, RML2276, T806

There used to be an "exhibition and display" vehicle exemption that covered most things like that. It might be worth asking South Eastern Coach works as they do a lot of conversions.

To go back to the o p, it would depend a lot on what the conversion actually is and what "may" be carried.

All seems a bit of a grey area and depends on who you talk to at VOSA to get the converted vehicle classified. We had a Metrobus converted to a party bus which had an HGV classification on a class V MOT, whereas similar conversions were classed as educational facilities with an MOT exemption ? - We have coaches coming in converted into touring band buses with a class IV MOT classification - no consistent rules seem to apply.

My bus number (if any): RML2747

Sounds about right.

Tachograph, excise duty/taxation class, driving licence, MOT and even the Congestion Charge each come under separate regulations all of which have criteria and exceptions. However if you take enough seats out you cannot continue to claim that it is a bus.

Put a playpen in and it becomes a playbus, MoT/hgv/tacho exempt.