ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
RCL 2229 inside and out

I recently put a couple of these pictures on the forum to assist an RCL owner with a problem. But in case it helps to have a pictorial record of what an RCL looked like on withdrawal from service in red livery, here are other pictures I took on Aug 9 1984. The chalk scrawl on the lower windscreen reads `inspected 5/6/84` which would have been fairly soon after withdrawal. All inspections of withdrawn Routemasters (that were capable of running under their own power) were done at the old Turnham Green Garage which, after closure as an operational garage, became the bus inspection base for withdrawn stock. Thereafter, and usually within a few days, buses were driven to the Bus Sales at the old AEC site - where these pictures were taken.

It was after withdrawals of RCL`s commenced that the LT Museum got the go ahead (funding) to add one to their collection with the intention of restoring it to Green Line condition. With several buses to choose from and no more to arrive subsequently, RCL 2229 was the one with the least items of concern on its inspection sheet. As I recall it also had a fairly recently overhauled engine and other parts were `better than average` making it the best of the RCL`s available. So it was moved under cover and then spent a long time awaiting its turn in the restoration queue.

Re: RCL 2229 inside and out

Still has a full set of RMC/RCL seat frames with the higher backs to accommodate the height of thicker cushions used on Green Line RMs. Unfortunately my RMC has lost these and has standard RM seat frames upstairs, possibly fitted along with an awful horizontal steel tune in he L/S when it was converted for the X15.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RMC 1458, RM 1585 and many RTs

I can`t imagine an RMC with ordinary RM seats in it!
Those of us lucky enough to have experienced the luxury of those superior seats in Green Line Routemasters would know just how different they were. Which of course was exactly the thinking behind the idea that the longer distances that passengers on Green Line services would be likely to travel justified a higher level of comfort.
Plus, with doors and attaining higher speeds between less frequent stops, the heating system always seemed to be good. I used to travel on RMC`s a lot in LT and early LCBS days and still recall them being the best examples of the Routemaster design.

The only trouble with RMC / RCL seats is you don't really want to get up and leave them!

They are really comfortable on long trips.

When one reads about the "superior comfort" of seats on the New Routemaster, one just has to smile in bemusement!

It's a shame these seat frames are so rare as they would be the ultimate enhancement for the private hire RMLs to give them that extra edge in comfort and quality, especially on the top deck.

I think the RCL is still the most comfortable bus I've ever ridden on. Those seats were so comfortable.

Never liked that blue moquette though.
It only ever looked good new and dulled down very quickly. I always thought that the TitanMetrobus/District line moquette would have been a better choice for them when refinished at Aldenham but I suppose the blue was surplus from outgoing SM,MD and DMS types fast exiting and thus avoiding overhauls.

Great pics as ever Neil,seem to remember us spending a Saturday at Aldenham stripping RMC 1470 for parts for RCL 2229.