ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Richard Preston RIP

Brian Jennings will know immediately because it will have been on his local news, that the death has been reported of Richard Preston, the founder of Prestons of Potto; all those red and yellow lorries one sees pounding the Motorways and which make us look up to see where on earth Potto is. The company, probably as well known for being run by a woman, his wife Anne, as it colour scheme, is one of the last large family run firms in the industry and is extremely well respected locally and nationally. The last couple of years have seen the old school legends dying out with the loss of Jack Richards and Stan Robinson as well.

Re: Richard Preston RIP

Hi Roy - only just picked this up and surprisingly I hadn't heard about it (although I have been slightly out of touch with a severe dose of the lurgy). My daughter Dr Claire tells me there was mention on Facebook. Potto is a tiny hamlet about 8 miles north east of here (Northallerton) and just north of the long escarpment that is the northern edge of the North York Moors National Park. I didn't know Richard but often thought it might have been worth getting in touch as he may have had an interest in our buses - I'm fairly sure he did have a great ex-General horse bus and his fairground organs make regular appearances at local events. There is some mention on the websites of our local evening and weekly newspapers (Northern Echo/Darlington and Stockton Times) and I feel sure there will be a lot more about Richard's life in this Friday's edition of the "D & S". Clearly he was a well-respected man in his local community and will be sadly missed.

My bus number (if any): RML2302

Re: Richard Preston RIP

PS There now a great little video on the web @ http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/family-pays-tribute-amazing-man-8381424

My bus number (if any): RML2302