ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New RM Fuel Tanks

Hi Folks

If there is the interest, I am looking to have a batch of new RM fuel tanks made. A minimum batch number of 10 units is required.

The tanks will be 100% new with new nut rings made, therefore no old parts are required by anyone to have this batch made. The manufacturer has an original tank to take a pattern from for sizing/dimensions/alignment and to ensure positioning of nut rings/holes etc. However these tanks like some that have been made in recent years and will have some slight differences/modifications

• Only two inspection/access holes on top of tank instead of three.
• No sump, so flat bottom to tanks
• Designed to be a universal tank, so can be used with RMC/RCL/RMA extra range tanks. These holes to connect to the extra tank these buses have will be fitted with blanks.

The total cost of each tank will cost £392 total + any costs like transportation.

This is not a RMOOA project. I am looking to organise this outside the association umbrella, if there is demand for this. Therefore if you are interested please email me direct at mitch@amphysio.co.uk . If I get enough response, I will then email back those people interested with firm details of the order.

I hope this is of help to some owners.

If you have any questions please feel free to email me, please don’t put any question you have specifically for me on the forum, as a general rule I only review the forums every blue moon or so! Which means I am unlikely to see them.

Talk to you soon.

Thanks Mitch

My bus number (if any): RMC1462

Re: New RM Fuel Tanks

I suppose this is more general than specific, but this is a fine initiative and given the cost of new tanks for some of our trucks a really excellent price. Some common classic car tanks are close to that cost.

However I wonder if there is an opportunity here that would be of benefit to non PSV RM users.

If a common fuel sender and location could be agreed, it could be incorporated into the manufacture and blanked in a similar way as described for linking tanks etc.

A standard and common 24v sender and gauge could be selected and made available to fit to a standard design.

In other words, picking up where LT left off and adding a mod that is of standard common design and fit.

Most HGV tank sender mounts are a standard fitting.

Would have thought that this would be a godsend for buses that are not depot based service buses.

Only a thought given the opportunity remanufacture can create.

I've been told that tanks are still available to special order from Graysons if ever you can find someone there who knows what they're on about.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

Hi Folks

Update on – New RM Fuel Tanks.

Just a couple of additions to my post from recent days.

• Just to make sure everyone knows this proposal is for new main fuel tanks, not the extra tanks that RMC/RCL/RMA’s had fitted. Just to make sure there is no confusion on this.
• Also if anyone out there does want a new tank on this order batch and they have a knackered old tank with nut rings, if you can supply the two nut rings for your tank, the overall price for your tank would reduce by £25 from what it has been advertised in the 1st posting.
• To give an idea of costing to get a one of new tank done at Graysons, they are at present coming out at around £400 + vat and you must supply the nut rings. So hopefully shows what a good price this is for the batch proposed above, if there is the demand for it.

I will be putting another separate post out latter, with the contact details of this manufacture and all the other areas they cover in another post, for everyone’s information and clarity.

I hope this feedback is helpful.

Thanks Mitch

Sorry folks, I had made an error in my original post re price of the tanks.

The total cost per tank (inc vat)is £374 in a batch of 10 units. NOT the £392 as I out in the original post. Sorry for the confussion.

Plus as said in the last post if you have the nut rings for your tank, the price comes down by £25 to £349.

I hope that makes sense and I have got it correct now.

Thanks Mitch