ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bus advertising

Following on from the discussion in the Neil G's Snow scene I've opened a new topic on Bus advertising

This is one of my favourites.

My bus number (if any): RMs 238, 471 & 2213. GS17

Re: Bus advertising

Can`t believe you`ve found that one Chris. It`s me in the cab!
I`m now trying to recall when that was done. I think we did it on the forecourt of Stamford Brook.
Are you able to make the picture any bigger please - or could you email one to me?

Amazing!

I don't have a copy of the picture (which is copyright) but I posted a link to the picture which is on the website of Alan Fletcher, the graphic designer responsible for the Pirelli slippers advert.

http://www.alanfletcherarchive.com/archive/london-bus-advert-pirelli-slippers

Cheers, Chris

My bus number (if any): RMs 238, 471 & 2213. GS17

Something odd about that picture.

Was it that Pirelli advert on the side when shot? Can you remember Neil?

According to the website it is a 1962 advert but that is a 1982 bus livery.

But...somewhere I have the exact same photograph but with a different advert.
I've had it for many years and I think it's an a copy of Creative review. I'll have to have a rummage to try and locate it.

I have a feeling this image was supplied by LTAdvertising as a template for creative departments to use for client presentations.

I've got one of the Pam Am ads that came out with the introduction of the 747s (jumbo jet variety) forget the 8.08.....catch the 747....PanAm.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

I wish I could supply a bit more info but I did so many static and on the move shots for various people that I really can`t recall some of them. This one was, I`m sure, taken on the forecourt at Stamford Brook and that`s my old mate and conductor Hughie on the platform. But it is a template that`s been adapted - as was often the case.

Who can remember the 1983 poster `Come in number 9, your time is up` which was made to draw attention to the possible service reductions and rapid spread of one person operated buses if the GLC was abolished? It used RM 1152 with me in the cab and my conductress Joan (who I referred to recently) and the finished thing was heavily edited from how it was filmed. We did have real passengers though (agency people) and the shooting was done in a quiet road in Chiswick close to where the E3`s terminated. The bus stop in the poster was actually photographed separately from the bus and then added in. Put a magnifying glass over the bus stop timetable and it can be seen to be for the E3 route! I did actually manage to get a good quality, large, photo from the production people. I always asked for a souvenir from any such job but rarely ever got one. But on this occasion they were as good as their word and a week later the picture arrived at Stamford Brook. I now have it framed and it`s on my living room wall! Yes, I know, sad git etc...

Whilst on the subject, would anyone know if footage or pictures exists of RM 125 being driven along Chiswick High Road dressed as a 36b? Joan and I did that one too and the production people wouldn`t tell us what it was for and we never found out. Also, we spent three cold hours driving round and round the block that forms the front and back roads of The Royal Albert Hall in RM 6 for a British Airways contract that we never saw the result of. The production people wanted to film an iconic landmark and bus by day and after dark. Also wanted it dressed as a 9 - in the evening rush hour! We just couldn`t get through to them that people would come running for what looked like the stuff of passengers dreams - an empty bus in the rush hour! Every time I stopped at traffic lights Joan had a tough time keeping people off the platform. Not that the film crew could see any of this as they set up the other side of The Albert Memorial and thus couldn`t see what was happening on the platform of the bus as we were on the opposite side of the road!

I often wondered if the 'passengers' on the Nine Road were actors or a mix of real people and thespians and just by chance I was watching an old episode of Lovejoy and 'Anna', the attractive girl who is going to meet her boyfriend to go to the pictures, turned up as a professor in charge of a Roman dig.

My bus number (if any): RM 912

Re: Bus advertising RM664

On the subject of adverts, has anyone got a picture of unpainted RM664 carrying adverts for the 'Sunday Express'

Beaverbrook Newspapers had this bus exclusively for it's advertising for most of it's unpainted time but for a short time, just a month I believe it carried posters for the Sunday Express rather than the Daily Express.

I've seen just one not very good B&W image of the rear and two front ones but not the full sides.

I'm not too sure of the tie up between Lord Beaverbrook and LT at the time.
The Express Titles though, sponsored a lot of events in those days particularly Motorsport, Horticulture,Golf etc. and liked to promote British innovation. The last being the sponsorship of the first London Air Ambulance G-HEMS .

They would not sponsor a three legged race nowadays, but that's another story!!