ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mystery Part

I have come across a RM part that I can't recognise, its an Ali disc 18swg, 4 7/8"dia.
with a hole in the centre, it has a partNo. of RM 032 D7 .

Cant seem to add a photo, but here is the link

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30266527@N02/16599200891/

Anyone with a parts book can tell me what it is.

Many Thanks

Rob

My bus number (if any): RM7

Re: Mystery Part

I thought straight away the inspection plate on ceiling upstairs where the aerial is on roof. But there appears to be trace of red paint. So must be a exterior panel? But the keyhole shape hole..

My bus number (if any): rm158

Hi Rob in the UK at the moment, back home tomorrow night, I'll look it up. Could be a corroded cover plate that was put over the canopy panel inspection light socket on the early RMs, but I'll check on Monday.

Blanking plate for removed tungsten lighting drilled to allow wire to pass through for short early 90s style replacement florescent lamp?

My bus number (if any): RM531

I`ve been thinking about this for hours now! Still non the wiser.........

The lack of symmetry with the screw holes and the very `off centre` main hole make it even more of a mystery.

The suggestion from Steve sounds possible but were RM part numbers applied to stuff of the early 90`s once decentralisation of stores had gone?

From the size of the metal piece could it be the backing plate of the upper deck buzzer?

It`s also about the size of the emergency door release of an RMA but it wouldn`t be the outside part as the push knob sits centrally. Could it be the inner part of the socket where the electrical connection goes?

I've seen this part before or something similar and likewise can't now remember where I found it.

There are though, a couple of clues.

1. RM parts numbers follow a logical system particularly with body parts, so related parts will have a similar number.
I don't have a list of RM part nos but RM drawings usually carry them. I've none to hand right now.

2. In Robs photo, there is pitting around the centre hole. This indicates that something ie a budget key or some sort of tool is passed through it.

So It might be a blanking plate for air suspension , an isolating switch cover, a cable securing plate,
but the diameter seems to suggest a bell push or light fitting reinforcer.

As Neil mentioned, Stamped Part Numbers became a thing of the past before the first RML refurbs more or less at the time of Aldenhams demise. It may though, be a mod part. Possibly for reinforcing something that gets heavy wear.

I think the answer is going to come from the part numbers on the drawings.

Seems the edit facility has been removed
so a bit more as I had not finished.

The picture also shows traces of Red paint in the number stamping.

and for clarity, the part number is RM 032 D7

Would be good if the part numbers could be a PDF online at some stage. Would be a useful resource.

Hi Rob

I have looked through the parts manual and I cannot see the part number anywhere! I thought it might be the adapter plate for the newer type indicator switch but it differs to mine so perhaps not.
Usually that kind of key hole is for something to push through and lock in place. I would be surprised if it is a cable hole as it isn't suitable for a grommet to be fitted.

My bus number (if any): M1001, RML2276, T806

D7 indicates that it is in the cab area. I think it's the plate that goes on the engine side of the cab firewall on earlier bodies where the Arens cable passes through the bulkhead. For some reason the hole has been elongated.

My bus number (if any): RM 912

Thought it may have been this cover plate, it's below the large ticket box on RM 113. Early RM's had them not sure what it's for, air suspension access point maybe??

RM 113 photo IMG_0124_zpsd771iuxk.jpg

Think Chris may have hit the nail on the head regarding it being a bulkhead arens cable panel.

Paul.

Hi dean. I looked at the arens cable hole (mines missing) and it looked like the right layout but couldn't think of a use there! Perhaps it supported the rear of the switch. I cannot remember ever changing one. It would make sense if the rear section went through and then clipped into place.
You mention D7's being in the cab. Is that from memory or from a part no guide? I'm compiling a list of part no's from the RM parts manual and BEMS book. If you have knowledge of how the numbering was done it would be very useful if I could have some details please. Started it just before Christmas but it is a long job. Only 400 pages to go!

My bus number (if any): M1001 RML2276 T806

Chris Sullivan
D7 indicates that it is in the cab area. I think it's the plate that goes on the engine side of the cab firewall on earlier bodies where the Arens cable passes through the bulkhead. For some reason the hole has been elongated.

I agree with Chris. Aarons cable hole cover plate on the engine shield, (engine side).
The D indicates it's driver's cab and although there is no RM 032 D1 assembly listed in the parts lists it was (I think) the old reference number of the complete engine shield, i.e. it was a theoretical number embracing all parts RM 032 D which made up the assembly RM 032 D1 and were shown on drawing RM 032 D!

If you ordered one of these it would came, in theory complete, with all parts attached and painted, then to fit it you'd have to take off a number of parts, so it was never stocked in that condition.

The actual part that was ordered and come out of the stores RM 062 D1 is what we called at Aldenham a maintenance part number i.e. the part held in the stores in a condition to easily fit to the bus, probably without these cover plates, which you took off the old one.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RM 1585, RMC 1486 and several RTs

Picking up on Brian's earlier thread: The disc which covers the inspection socket under the canopy on early bodies, up to I believe B 105, is an RT part number and is the same disc used for the same purpose on Park Royal bodied RT's. After the deletion of the socket a number of panels made with the hole for the socket assembly were covered with the same disc used on Weymann bodied RT's. The changeover came somewhere between B 105 and B 109 and is known as Mod 67. The socket and it's mounting plate was also an RT part.

So anyone does know what the panel below the ticket box is for ?

No idea but can you take a picture showing more of the area?

The same cover plate over the electrical socket on the RT N/S canopy panel was fitted on all RT types, including the Leyland, Saunders and MCCW bodied buses.

The need for a covering plate for the light socket ended after 1970 when the new panels that incorporated a second door for access to the saloon heater pipes were largely made new and the electrical socket hole discontinued. It was as stated phased out on RMs at an early stage.

David Colin
...If you have knowledge of how the numbering was done it would be very useful if I could have some details please. Started it just before Christmas but it is a long job. Only 400 pages to go!

Sent you an E mail David.

That photo from Paul doesn't look like the bulkhead panel below the ticket box as that is red. Sure this isn't from an RMC?

Definitely an RM, RM 113 to be precise & have seem them on other early RM bodies. Will post more pictures when I get home, on a bus collection from Edinburgh at the moment.

Thanks for all the info
One thing with bus preservation, especially Routemasters your always learning.

One of my buses that has Body No. 487 should have that plate fitted on the fire wall, the other shot I have taken is of a later body, which does not use the plate.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30266527@N02/16439804117/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30266527@N02/16027196653/in/photostream/

Regards

Rob

The one on 487 is right Rob, that is how the drawing shows it, a large hole in the engine shield with the Arens cable knob assembly on the interior and the cover plate on the engine side.
These engine shields were not changed that often usually only due to an accident, it's possible that a modified version was produced after the engine fitment programmes to replace the AEC engines was implemented which did away with the need for the Arens Cable and the large hole.

Viewed from further away.

113 photo IMG_0123_zpsyq2pxiwk.jpg

Is it solid riveted Paul? If so, it's a blanking plate, not a cover plate. There is a hole in the position on the O/S of the riser panel, perhaps on earlier bodies the panels were made to fit both ways round. Certainly not a mod that was done when air suspension was taken out, behind that would be the bag wouldn't it?

Yes solid riveted Brian, I guess the access on the offside would be for the main battery cables. So it could be that riser was made reversible.

That round plate is not on any of my buses, it is a mystery
What's with the strange Hand Rail?

Rob

It's part of a barrier for operating on the wrong side of the road ( Canada)

Having been upstairs on 2532 today, the mystery part seems to be the blanking plate fitted on the refurb buses over the removed tungsten bulb holders.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

No it's not Roy, it's a cab part and is almost certainly the Arens cable cover on the engine shield. Might have been used something similar on the front pair of bulbs beyond the Transmatic's but not what is was made for as it has a hole for the cable.

The part carries an LT standard RM part number. As mentioned its a cab forward area part in the standard RM sequence.

Refurb parts do not carry LT part numbers and the 1992 refurbs were not included in the parts numbering system, nor were the Marshall refurbs.

So It must be a plate for the arens switch mount possible for Leyland engined vehicles to alter the angle a little on the cable.

We finally have the answer !!!!

I`ve zoomed in on the picture (below) of the Leyland engine in 1563 and can see that the same part that we`ve been deliberating over is indeed the arens cable exit from the bulkhead. The irregularly spaced screw arrangement and off centre hole are plainly there. I don`t have a picture of the arens arrangement of an AEC so can`t say if it would be different but the Leyland suggestion from Jack seems to have solved the mystery.

Thanks Neil,for the confirmation of what Chris Sullivan and I thought. It's the same fitment on the engine shield for an AEC engine as the Arens cable is no different. Don't ever remember taking one of these off, the cable was left in place on overhaul tied up round the bonnet springs.

Picture here :https://www.flickr.com/photos/41382816@N07/13692593814/in/pool-1921981@N24/

Thanks to all, yes that was the cover for the Arens cable.

I have also now found the disc that covers the inspection socket on early RM bodies
as Chris stated, it has an RT part No.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30266527@N02/16756027145/

Thanks

Rob

Don't think there's any difference between the plates if the bus is AEC or Leyland powered. Took these pictures yesterday.

photo 9ba41c6a-57e2-46e5-aa0f-3422a7dd8d27_zpscgr9pnew.jpg

AEC. RMC 1513

photo 222924f6-1bc3-4780-8d4d-eaebba12c07d_zpsn5t76fct.jpg

Leyland. RM 1843

With regard to the other mystery panel/plate below the ticket box I found the photo below on the excellent Park Royal Vehicles site http://www.home.hbh.org.uk/. It shows the rear platform bulkhead assembly in a jig & clearly shows a hole on the offside for the battery cables. Compared with the photo of the plate on RM 113 it looks to be in in the same position on the nearside. So I guess the panel was made reversible on early RM's. Wonder how many had it.

photo Panel_zpsraqaqn2h.jpg

nothing on mine Paul, carries a slightly later body B423 though..

My bus number (if any): rm158