ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bucket List

I have just read about a little boy of 20 months of age who is suffering from an incurable illness that will rob him of his sight,hearing and the ability to speak before killing him before he reaches the age of 4.
This little chap has a bucket list and on it he has put that he wants to ride on a London Red Bus.
Now I would love to make one of his dreams come true but he is in County Durham which is the other end of the country to me so is there anyone up in that neck of the woods who could take this on?
His story and contact details are on Yahoo news tonight[5/3/15]

My bus number (if any): RML 2478

Re: Bucket List

Yes I'll be happy to oblige.My bus is kept in Durham so if you e'mail me the details I'll take it from there.Busy doing kingpins and brake pipes on it at the moment but it should be all back together again next week sometime.
Steve G

My bus number (if any): RML2551

This isn't quite what it seems unfortunately - I've emailed Steve...

My bus number (if any): RML2302

Brian Jennings

Seems genuine enough to many including ITV News, although may be what parents want for the lad.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/A-Promise-for-Zach/1537376783196446

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RM 1585, RMC 1486 and several RTs

Hello Brian J
Would you please e mail me to put me in the picture as to what is the problem with this request for help for this little boy.
It all seemed O.K to me when I saw it on the TV and read about it in the news.
It surely can't be that his parents have obviously made up the list of things they want him to experience in the time he has left.

Regards
Graham Smith

My bus number (if any): RML 2478

Brian Jennings

It seems genuine enough to me as well. One of things I do in my day job is to perform risk assessments on scams and hoaxes. This does not carry any of the trademarks of either and in my opinion is a simple well-meaning campaign. I hope that Steve G does fulfil this wish of his parents and that the opportunity is used to promote the cause so that more wishes are granted.

Steve G - if it materializes, please can you either post an update or let me know personally?

My bus number (if any): RT3316

Sorry if anyone thought my response to this was inappropriate or uncaring. A work colleague who knows the family emailed round the office with the bucket list and I went to see her straightaway offering my bus (they only live about 20 miles away). She was delighted and said she would pass on my contact details. However, a few days later she told me that the parents had declined my offer because what they were actually looking for was donations so that family could go to London to ride on a London bus there.. Oddly however another friend contacted me last week to say he'd been approached by the family and as he wasn't available could I drive HIS bus for them! As it happened I got the message too late.. I understand he is still intending to give them a ride.

Bemused Brian

Brian,

I think the brevity of your comment may have left the mistaken impression that this was a scam. Thanks for returning to clear that up.

I personally can understand their desire to make this particular wish a special one. They've probably set out with an idea from something they have experienced themselves - going to London and riding on an old London bus. Once they start from that point, just going to London or just riding on an old London bus falls short and given the circumstances, falling short is failing in their quest completely. I'm sure the little boy would be over the moon, but it's a thing for him and his family, a really special moment they get to enjoy together with the limited time they have.

Whilst it may perhaps appear as them being ungrateful, it shouldn't be taken that way in my opinion. I think that it is great that the call went out and was answered, even if it wasn't the right answer.

I think that it would also be great if an old London bus owner in London could step forward and offer the use of their vehicle for a private tour, as that sounds like it is more in tune with what they are trying to do. It would just be a small part of a bigger thing, but with the right help and organising they could find themselves pulling up at the front door of Buckingham Palace in a Routemaster...

Unfortunately my bus is far from fit to offer up!

My bus number (if any): RT3316

Thanks Steve - I didn't mean to imply it was a scam, just all a bit confusing!
Probably best for whoever can help to contact the parents direct.

Its one of those heart rending stories. There but for the grace of god go you and I, and if we were in that situation we would do the same. Some kids want Disneyland, others have far simpler dreams. How nice it would be if perhaps the good chaps at Ensign were made aware, perhaps they could help?

For as long as I live I will never forget a similar case I was involved with. A young boy with terminal cancer had a desire to see cars being made. I think the "Make a wish foundation" did the groundwork. Anyway he came with his brother and mum and dad, his bald little head covered in a baseball cap. We got a golf buggy in to run him round the plant, everyone knew of the visit in advance, the lads in various areas had had collections, bought remote control cars, showered him with gifts and kindness. It was a very very emotional day and few had dry eyes. Kids normally have simple dreams, its adults that complicate them. I hope this small dream can be realised.

My bus number (if any): RM531