ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
RM bulkhead covering

Anyone got a name for and a source for the pimply "rexine" used on the L/S front bulkhead panels and on and around the U/S destination door and fascias?

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RM 1585, RMC 1486 and several RTs

Re: RM bulkhead covering

Good question. I couldn't find anything like it and used ordinary rexine which isn't really tough enough.

My bus number (if any): RMs 238, 471 & 2213. GS17

The only time I have ever seen this material on anything else is and table tennis bat!

There is no known supplier for this material when I asked a similar question about two years ago.

I would be interested to know if the situation has changed.

My bus number (if any): RML2344

There's no known supplier for the material so most preservationists simply use the rexine. The table tennis bat covering is much coarser and doesn't look that good. (I've seen it used on a couple of buses).

I do have a small sample of the original material and would be happy to see if I could find anyone who'd be willing/able to re-produce it. But that would depend upon whether there was sufficient demand to set up a large production run to make it viable.

My bus number (if any): RM1699, Eastbourne Regent V KHC369, and Regent III AHC442

I can't remember what it's called either, and it's not been available for years. I'll ask Tim the Trim at Faversham next time I'm in there. The last roll of that stuff I had was for RF136's roof racks.

My bus number (if any): RML2532

This stuff was used by British Railways as well.

Is it not also the same or similar to the original coverings on the luggage rack areas of RMC and RCL types albeit with a different texture?

A generic name for it would be useful. Did it also carry an LT part number? That may also trace it's origin?

It was the same pattern as used on RMC/RCL/RF luggage racks, though they were white.

My bus number (if any): RML2532,GS67,MLL721,MLL738 and an RT.