ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
More from North`s

Here`s the third and final selection of pictures I took at North`s scrapyard near Leeds on Nov 4 1982 of the batch of fifty or so RM`s that went there for dismantling and parts reclaim having been made surplus to requirements by schedule changes in London two months earlier.

It was a strange experience to find so many intact RM`s lined up and looking so familiar - but a long way from London. Probably the greatest number in one place outside of the capital for the first time.

Those that hadn`t been touched only needed a set of blinds and could have been ready for service.......

But the reality of their being at North`s was apparent with RM 1538 having been stripped of required parts for return to LT.

And all around were the signs of vehicles that had already been destroyed to yield parts. We`ve already had discussions on here regarding what was intended for return to LT - irrespective of if the parts actually did return. But one thing we would all agree on is that a lot of fully complete buses that could have provided so much more were not fully utilised. And wouldn`t we be wiser if the clock could be turned back thirty years........

I don`t know much about trucks but what would this be? Are twin front axles unusual?

Re: More from North`s

That would be a Foden S(something) - probably an eight legger - most tippers and builder's merchants waggons are eight wheelers.

My bus number (if any): RML 2747

I see you show RM 175 Neil, pretty sure that was an AEC engined bus and one we flagged up to Chiswick as possibly being one that should not have gone to Norths, when we did our checks there. It was the NS trainer at the time! but RSE at Chiswick were not bothered.

Although I'd long left Aldenham by 1983, I believe that LT Supplies decided it would recover sufficient "scarce" materials from the buses being scrapped at Aldenham by Berrys in late 1982/early 1983 not to require much from Norths.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RM 1585, RMC 1486 and several RTs

Hi Brian,

Yes was an AEC. I couldn't belive it when I saw it there.

Andy