ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Not really an RM but...

After being "retired" since about 1980, BEA 4RF4 MLL738 completed a couple of test runs today, first from New Romney via Lydd and the coast road back to New Romney, then a trip to Hythe and back. Almost no leaks (Friday's test trip to the brake test facility had problems), the only thing now is a very minor fuel weep at the pump.

See the bus at Detling Showground South East Bus Festival on 28th March 2015.

If I knew how to add a photo here, I'd post one!

My bus number (if any): RML2532,GS67,MLL721,MLL738 and an RT.

Re: Not really an RM but...

Well, road testing of MLL738 continues...one of the 2" water pipes leaked after I found water travelling through the "heritage insulation material" (there was no metal pipe left inside it). My local exhaust company in Ashford made a stainless steel replacement while-I-waited. Another road teast showed the wiggly pipe over the engine had a pin hole, a defect in the raw pipe, so that has to go back!

The diff gland is leaking, but I've got a couple in stock, that might get changed before Detling, depends on the time available. Otherwise she runs remarkably well.

I'm pleased to say that MLL738 was indeed ready and went to Detling show today. The diff gland got replaced on Thursday along with a bit of help from roy.

The coach handled well with the brakes getting better as they bedded in. No overheating, no visible water leaks and the saloon heater works!!

Nice to see Matt Hart under his bus at the end of the show fixing the loose alternator. Good luck on your journey Matt.

Well done Roy, no doubt there'll be some photos of it on Flickr soon.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RM 1585, RMC 1486 and several RTs

Hi Roy I saw matt whizzing down M2 early this morning ,matt nice to see a RMF on the roads a rare sight these days compared to the RMs hope all went well

My bus number (if any): RCL 2238,RT, RM 1000

Haha Roy,

Yeah, i'll accept the the full blame on that one! I clearly didn't do the bolts tight enough, and didn't do the retaining nut up on tensioner bolt on the craddle the day before when it was fitted.

Barely 5 minutes to fix it and all the belts and bolts are now the right tension and producing electric :)

My bus number (if any): RMF2771 (RCN 701)

Many years ago a coach operator I worked for in Northampton asked me what is the most important nut on a bus. this set me thinking...the driver...the wheel nut...the one that holds the steering wheel on...

The answer was "the loose one". something I've never forgotten.

I was told the loose nut line as well.
Sometimes those little ditties really do leave a lasting effect.

Simple practice we use.
Each nut/bolt is marked with a paint pen AFTER it is tightenedand or torqued up.
Then a visual check and or tension check on everything that was loosened/refitted.
We also change the colour over a rota cycle.

Always a light visible colour. Simple but effective.

2 lots of good news yesterday, David Cooper tells me the seat moquette is going to "the weave" next week, and Williamsons Paint have managed to match the original grey for the exterior and the dark red for interior.

So, new seats and the right paint on the way! It's the first time that moquette has been made for 63 years.

Which Moquette Roy?

BEA seat moquette :). Like Green Line RF, but biscuit colour, not green. Lots to spare if anyone wants any. (not modernised RF/RMC silver/red stuff)

Just seen an article in the May issue of Bus and Coach Preservation Magazine about the vehicles you are involved with, Roy. Very impressive. Don't know how you find the time to be a Professional Restorer, as well as a Recreational one !!!

With difficulty! Thanks for the comments.

Really interesting article, Roy.

And if a little bit of relevance is needed regarding the 4RF4 airport coaches appearing on a Routemaster site, it`s this....

LT kept four of them to be converted into uniform issue vehicles. Based at Chiswick, they travelled around the fleet on weekdays all year round to every garage on a publicised rota system so that staff knew when to expect them. Once at a garage to stay usually for three or four days they were plugged in to an electrical supply to provide internal lighting. I can well remember getting a uniform issue from one of these at Tottenham Garage and can still picture it surrounded by RM`s and with a cable running from it to a power source. Every staff member working on RM`s in the 1970`s would have known, and been on, these buses. I think they were numbered 1464 - 7 in the Service Vehicle fleet but don`t know (off-hand) the reg numbers concerned.

I was astonished to see one of the 4RF4`s about twelve to fifteen years ago in Wales. We met it on a bend near Carmarthen - at speed - so I didn`t get the number.

The Welsh one was probably one of those with "travellers". Geoff singer put a picture on bookface a while ago of 3 together in that area, but since then 2 of those have been burnt out.

There's only about 8 left now, and only 4 I know of complete with seat frames and luggage racks!
MLL721 is with me as is MLL738, both complete;
MLL740 at Brooklands/LBPT/Almey family
NLP648 at Broughton, Science Museum.
there's 2 formerly with Ensign, now reportedly with Roger Wright, one of those is ex uniform store, the other MLL722 ex travellers, minus seats but with luggage racks.
Another in a museum in Berlin minus fittings, and maybe another with travellers.
I saw the roof of one many years ago on a horse box conversion!

MLL721 has the rear roof and parts from MLL720 following an arson attack in 1972. 720 was taken for dismantling to a place in Northolt in 1972.

In this month's "London Buses of the 1950's" there's a pic of 3 of them at Pioneer Coaches in Richmond, 720 and 648 nose to nose with probably 747 in the background.

I was at junior school in Twickenham in the late 60s/early 70s. We would be taken each week to the swimming baths in Richmond, transport provided by Continental Pioneer. Usually this was an RT or similar, but I do remember the occasional ride on a 4RF4. It was a very unusual design to someone used to standard double deckers.

Phil.

Can someone explain the suffix 4RF4, as in this particular vehicle ? Thanks

4RF is the chassis type, RF4 is the body type, hence vehicle is 4RF4.

Neil, numbers were MLL 725, 727, 729 and 735 = 1465 - 1468W inc.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RM 1585, RMC 1486 and several RTs

Continental Pioneer had 3 or 4 4RF4s that I remember, also a couple of the Manchester versions with Leyland chassis. I forget who done the bodies for them but nowhere near as good to look at as the London ones. Has anyone evr done a fleet list for Continental Pioneer?