ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
fleet numbers

Does anyone know the correct height of gold RM fleet numbers? I know it's around 3ins/7.6cms but there seems to be a bit of variation in some old transfers I've found.

My bus number (if any): RM1353/RM875/RM737

Re: fleet numbers

The gold fleet numbers as original are larger than some replica types now found.

The originals, made by Tearns,to strict LT font specifications were varnish fix and very thin giving an almost flush finish.
The gold has a fine black outline of the same weight all round the character. ( A character is a letter or numeral etc.)

The later white numbers ( to go with the solid white roundel) were of a smaller font size and match some very minor alterations to the LT font made in 1973. So minor in fact, that I can't spot the difference even with my trained typographers eye! It was to allow greater use of lower case in text. It's been far more noticeably tweaked several times since and particularly when the font was digitised.

There are a few differences in Characters during the gold era mainly applying to the 'R' and the 'M'.

Depending on the era you are dressing your bus in it is probably worth going to Brooklands next week and taking a good look.

In the meantime I will fish out the dimensions as I don't have them to hand and have forgotten myself.

I note you have RM737 and the last time I saw that bus it had the correct size fleet numbers for it's era of depiction.

Hope this helps a little.

May be of some use to you,

Regards

Rob

https://www.flickr.com/photos/30266527@N02/12820147433/

My bus number (if any): RF12

Thank you both - that's very helpful.

Any tips for applying the varnish fix types? I have a load of them, including gold RM characters (but not the right numbers). They are 79mm high, in line with your pictures Rob. In fact that is a few mm deeper than what I've inherited on 737 but these are fine margins and probably not visible.

hi sam while im sorting out your dustbin lids if you can send me your address ,I have a varnish fix instruction leaflet especially to help as I supply varnish fix transfers and vinyls ,on robs great site he shows a mixture of transfers the no2 with thick outline and numbers 9,8,7,3 with thin outline
the thin outline came in the 1970s when eagle kwik fix came into competion with tearnes like the M was for 1970s RMs like RM1368 and for the DMS,Merlins. Just to confuse you more when the RMs came out they used the RT thick black outline and in pictures the gold was a mis match and then moved onto the thin black outline.on the back of the transfers you will have BP numbers 10759 onwards was gold with thick black outline and BP 14328 was gold with thin black outline ,this is just the beginning
I could go on with this interesting info if u are down sunday I will be at Brooklands with stall/transfers or email me off roof .hope this is of use

My bus number (if any): RCL 2238,RT, RM 1000

You can't get better detail than that from Simon.

Varnish fixing is one of those skills that comes from practice, It does give a better finish and effect than vinyl but is not quite so easy and replaceable

One tip is to purchase if possible, a few seconds or graded V- F transfers and try them on a prepared but scrap panel with the same finish as on the bus, or make a Rally Plaque board or accessory for the bus and try your hand with that first. Or try making up a few signs using the method.

The booklet will help greatly but nothing beats practice. So for a few extra quid, using a few extra transfers will pay dividends.

All very interesting - thanks again.

Now for the ROUTEMASTER gold/black lettering! I've just had some back from a vinyls company. They've been very helpful in making one correction already but the latest batch definitely have a thicker black outline than some of my old transfers - which I suspect are the kind you referred to Simon.

So for RM1353, if I'm being as pedantic as possible, which would you recommend: thinner or thicker outlines?

(Simon: I've emailed Kevin with address for dustbin lids)

hi Sam I would go for thinner but it all depends on what year you are putting 1353 back to and how precise you want it to be but as I always say its your bus you saved it ,worked hard for it to enjoy, as mark says try a few out if the thinner look good to you then that's your answer if the thicker looks better then there is your answer,varnish fix is a skill I am still getting varnish fix made to this day but not on the original duplex paper in other words the originals had two tissue papers on them now they have one.if you need any to try I have some mismatch examples I can send.
I recently supplied RMs 121,1783,1807,2323 in vinyl if you get a chance to see if they are on flicker but don't forget there was two sizes of gold Ms
its never easy

My bus number (if any): RCL 2238,RT, RM 1000