ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
RM front hub bearings

Hello,

My front nearside wheel bearing will need replacing soon. I'm not certain if it's inner or outer. Outer hopefully! Is there any way of telling? I expect the only way is to strip it and find out.

Does anyone know part numbers? I phoned BRT bearings in Slough who can help, they just need a part number. Would I find it somewhere on the bearing?

Also, is there anything I need to know in replacing this item? I've had some tips from Tim Barrington.

Many thanks,

Adam.

My bus number (if any): RM2208

Re: RM front hub bearings

Hello,

Just an update to my previous post. The front bearing numbers are:

6379/6320 Imperial taper roller bearing cup and cone set (outer bearing)

615/612 Imperial taper roller bearing cup and cone set 9inner bearing)

After considerable effort, both bearings on the nearside of my bus have been replaced. There are several manufacturers but I went for 'like for like' Timken bearings. The ones I replaced were shot. There were score marks in the outer cone where it had sat around and the case hardening has begun to fail on both. It's possible that water may have got in? Also, who ever fitted the originals had used too much force as there were marks all over the roller cages. It required an awful lot of heat to remove everything.

Anyway, all done now and all the better for it.

It has to be said though that although the rumble in the wheel was also indiscernible prior to replacement, the damage internally was considerable.

Simply Bearings & BRT Bearings can supply within the week.

My bus number (if any): RM2208

Re: RM front hub bearings

Hello Adam Conner.

My apologies for picking up on your post after a 2year lapse, did you prepack these front bearings and the hub housing with grease before assembly and fitment.

My bus number (if any): Ex LTE Bus Engineering