ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Front Cross Brace

As not everyone looks at the other side, Thought I would bring up a query on here being discussed there.

This is the Front Cross Brace according to the BEMS book.

The brace itself is RM 173 N1, It is a part of the overall assembly RM 172 N1 which includes the fitments (bonnet bumpers, brackets etc).

It was reported these were made of steel box section using an imperial size that isn't available or is in 6m lengths, expensive etc. Mine is a folded sheet steel channel measuring approximately 1 15/32" x 1 5/16" with a material thickness of 1/8" There are welded plates at the points that fitments are placed. The entire assembly appears to be straight.
I thought all Routemasters were like this as I remember using the channel as a conduit for double dip headlight mods on sales buses at Stamford Brook.

Now I can cut, punch, fold and weld this quite easily. We don't usually have 1/8" (or 3mm) steel in stock and a single sheet delivery is ridiculously priced but can add a sheet to our next steel order. On the face of it I think we could supply this, primed ready for the finishing colour of your choice with holes accurately positioned ready for fitments you already have for around £22.00 or even less if we could to make a batch of 24 (one sheets worth). If the old one is sent to us we could refit the components as well.

Questions are:

Are they supposed to be a channel or as suggested box steel section? Perhaps they were originally box section and Aldenham changed it to channel when they were replaced on overhaul or damage.
Do people actually need these replacement parts? I am happy to make some if needed and stock a small balance.
And additionally are the Metalastik 15/722 bonnet buffers readily available and if so from where?

David

My bus number (if any): M1001, RML2276, T806

Re: Front Cross Brace

The front cross brace RM 173 N1 is an assembly. It is as "reported" a rectangular steel box section with the ends capped with RM 048 N1 end section assemblies, with the ferruled holes in for the bolts to pass through for attachment to the wings.
If you remove the bonnet bumpers you can see what it is and its dimensions through the elongated holes. 1/8" sounds a little thin to me, but without a drawing, don't know for sure, they are quite heavy.

I never saw one repaired at Aldenham, they are very tough and badly bent or broken ones were just stripped and the bar thrown away, and the old fittings put onto a new bar.

Whether there were some made at Aldenham David as you describe I don't know, Aldenham had a Press Shop and could easily cut steel box to length, it's more likely the Districts or Private bus companies had these dome after Aldenham ceased to exist.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RM 1585, RMC 1486 and several RTs