ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Corrosion protection

It's 16 years since I completed a full restoration of one of my cars.

This week at the MOT stn I was given a the use of the ramp during lunch to do a full check, grease & tweek a few things.

The product I used, Rubbercote has stood up really well and looks as good as the day it was applied. No sign of any corrosion.

They do a flame retardant version which is used in motorsport and this also has the benefit of sound insulating as well.

It's ideal for vehicles stored in dampish conditions. and as an alternative to sealing hidden joints.

Anyway at long last this product now has a website and the link is here.

http://www.hexaflex.co.uk/rubber-cote.html

Re: Corrosion protection

The website shows it has good resistance to Sulphuric acid so the fire proof version could be used to protect the battery crate and enclosure from corrosion from battery fumes - provided it can stand batteries being slid over it ? - I used a plasticote version after rebuilding my rotten crate.

My bus number (if any): RML 2747

From what I've seen of corroded battery crates it does seem that the corrosion often found is where the metal has been exposed from getting scraped and scratched by battery movement and the inevitable bashing about.

Similarly the same problem existed on one of my Morris !000s. But the other one, a GPO van, did not share the same problem. At first, I thought it might have something to do with one being Positive earth and the other Negative.

But other neg earth cars suffered the same corrosion.

The GPO fitted a simple solution. A sulphuric acid resistant plastic container . It works perfectly. and 45 years later, this part is now available for all Morris Minors!!

So for an RM it could be that a shallow tray to stand the batteries in would be an additional protection for the crate.

The battery box has a small drain hole which allows drainage clear of the superstructure.

Just a thought, not something I've seen tried.

Thanks Mark for reminding me what this product was called.

Some years ago I saw this product at a trade show and ordered a 5l can. I used it on a few metal items that are out of the way but vulnerable to stone chips and thus creeping spider rust.

It is really rather good. Developed for the oil rig industry, I've never understood why it is not more widely available.
It's been so hard to obtain that I've not bothered mentioning it before.

It actually cures in damp atmosphere so ideal for the UK and is very easy to apply by brush and get a smooth rubberlike finish. Has a really good sound reducing quality as well.

Highly recommended for petrol/diesel tanks, joints, wheel arches and the fireproof version is ideal for inner wings, bonnet insides and inner panels.

I'm sure it can also be painted over once fully cured although it does discolour initial coats.

Glad to see at long last is still available via the web.