ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Thread sizes

Hi guys, I have RM597's indicator ears broken down into a million bits in my garage & we're progressing nicely, HOWEVER, we have two of the top cap/cover screws (1 in each body) that have sheared off in the hole (wasn't me I promise)!! Dispite my best efforts drilling & eazy outs are not doing the trick!! Looks like I'm gonna have to drill & tap, before I waste a nice sunny day trying to measure (apparently I'm supposed to be cutting the grass) does anyone one know the thread size??

Whilst on the subject, once I get them re-painted & re-assembled does anyone know the thread size of the rev nuts in the body to hold the whole indicator assy on?? They are just sitting there under the HORRIBLE modern things that we currently have fitted - hopefully threads will be ok...

My bus number (if any): RM597

Re: Thread sizes

Hi Stuart, would have thought the thread would be 2BA or 4BA.

Paul.

Hi Paul

Many thanks for that, makes sense loads of the electrical stuff was BA, I've a collection of BA tools that haven't seen the light of day since I left Chiswick works in the 1980's, I also have a few brass set screws that fit but was srruggling with the thread gauges to id what taps to run down the holes.....

Having said that not sure I have ANY BA taps!!!!! EBAY here I come...

Gently warm the area round the broken screws with a blow lamp before you try the easy-outs. You'll find the heat will usually break down the corrosion.

I have a few 2ba and 4ba cheeses head screws in stock if that's any help.

My bus number (if any): RML2532,GS67,MLL721,MLL738 and an RT.

If no blow lamp you can hold the piece with the seized thread with mole grips over the gas burner on the cooker to warm it up - (advise doing it when the Missus is out at bingo !)

My bus number (if any): RML 2747

Cheers Roy, I did try applying heat but I was only using a gas soldering iron, I might have another go with something a little larger before I resort to re-tapping, I'm ok for the replacement screws I found half a dozen or so in my odds & sods box from years of buses & landrovers.

Finding the UNF? bolts? to re-fit the ears to the body might be another story but that's a while off yet.

Do you have any info on the cab front window mechanisms? I've freed off the lower one but that's just a simple screw thread, I'm struggling with the upper one - could do with understanding it so I can sort it..

Also we have weep from the plug @ the bottom of the steering pump, it's 26 years since I was in the hydraulics & pressure bakes section @ Chiswick, I think it's just a plug with an O ring sealing the end of the pressure relief gallery but can't really remember...

I'm getting old!! But I'll never be as old as the bus..

1/4 unf for the bolts through the indicator ears, I've got loads in stock. A decent gas blow lamp is good fun for freeing things. Dunno about the steering pump, but then thinking about it, yes, an O ring round the plug, imperial size.

My bus number (if any): RML2532,GS67,MLL721,MLL738 and an RT.

Are you the same Stuart Mulberry of bendi-bus fame who helped me out at Southern Vectis?

My bus number (if any): RM 912

Hi Chris, yes it is I.

We've only got 25 bendies left out of the original 110+ that we had in London (although that still leaves over 40 on the fleet) I think it was noticed that I may have had some time on my hands - so we bought a Routemaster....

RM597 is completely original (AEC590/D182 box etc) & the few bits that arn't will be when we've finished, none of this show bus stuff (chrome headlight & side light surounds etc) for us, we are going for the 1960's as new/just out of Aldenham look. Just wish I paid more attention when I worked @ Aldenham...

The upper screen mechanism is also a chain, but on both sides of the screen, the top screens are usually less hard to open than the lower one, see if you can get some plus gaz or similar into the chain cover at the screen end and at the back of the winding handle, leave it for a while and then try winding it out.

If successful clean the chains and apply plenty of grease! An expression you'd have heard often at Aldenham!

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RM 1585, RMC 1486 and several RTs

Cheers Brian, lower one was easy just a simple worm drive, top one is solid, I thought chains & soaked them by no joy, I've had the top cover of the chain drive open & all looks ok (no rust LOADS of grease). Have found the shaft to be solid in the front panel mount & can't free it, release front mount from the panel (so now shaft & mount can rotate) but still only getting about 2.5 revolutions & then solid again - so back to chains I GUESS?

I've now released the chains from the window & am trying to workout how I get into it all, if they used to do it before I can do it now - I hope, I never did any of this body stuff @ Aldenham I was mechanical on final assy until I moved back to Chiswick in about 83 (I think)...

If you have got the screen off and can wind it out a bit try and penetrating oil down the tubes Stuart, and leave it for 24 hours, try not to take it apart! They are not easy to get back together. Then try gently winding it in and out and it should free itself.
It's usually the bottom screen gear that is seized, which is why LT blocked the lower screens off.

I left the body accident shop in 1973, briefly returning as Work Study Manager in 1975 before I too escaped to Chiswick and Garage Plant!

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RM 1585, RMC 1486 and several RTs

Ok cheers Brian, I'll take your advise I'll persevere - just assumed that if I got the assy out I might be able to free off the links..

The lower mech' once I'd got the screw turning it wound out a link or two but the chain joints were seized, I ended up lub'ing each joint & tapping it with a tapping stick & freeing them up link by link. Works a dream now.

We'll get there in the end, similar problem with the heater matrix blind - solid!!! Couldn't do anything with it in situ, bit of a struggle to get it out & it's still not sorted but have first signs of life/movement!!!!