ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mystery Routemasters

Driving South on the A1 near Boroughbridge this evening at about 6.30 I was surprised to see two Routemasters travelling together in the opposite direction. As I was driving I didn't get the numbers but I think they were RMs apparently in nice condition, LT livery with posters but no blinds and both on trade plates. Anyone any idea of their identities?!

My bus number (if any): RML2302

Re: Mystery Routemasters

That was RM1204 and 1218 and I know because I was driving one of them!

My bus number (if any): RML2551

Two of the Dartmasters from the 9's sold on already then ?

My bus number (if any): RML 2747

7 actually

Where have gone and to who

Hi Steve - sorry, I would have waved had I known !!! (although you probably wouldn't have seen me of course...) They seemed to be going pretty fast - being Dartmasters would explain that. Are you allowed to tell us any more?

steve griffin
That was RM1204 and 1218 and I know because I was driving one of them!

Hope you had your earplugs with you Steve, having driven Dartmastered RMLs2432, 2600 & 2697, I know how noisy they can be.

My bus number (if any): RM967 (Driver/Restoration consultant)

Can't say too much about who bought them and why, no doubt it will come out in the fullness of time. What i can tell you is that Tfl offered 7 for sale by sealed bids and the rest are to be retained . Unfortunately i didn't take all of their numbers but they retain their registrations and were CLT, DYE and one ALD.
It's the first time I've driven a dartmaster any distance and although terrible around town with their constant revving and getting nowhere, on the open road in top gear they go very well capable of doing 50 all day up hill and down hill.Top gear on an Allison box must be some kind of overdrive.Affer 7 hours on the road I didn't feel particularly tired and found it a comfortable drive and not too noisy. The worst ones to drive any distance I've found to be IVECO engined RM's with their particularly tinny engine note.

Thanks for the extra info Steve - sounds like an enjoyable trip!

Sounds like they all went ex 9 ones rm1204/18 1562 1640 1735/76 and 1913 went so my bus has gone to someone

Thanks for the info Steve mate all us rm fans appreciate it

It looks like the mystery has been answered - see http://focustransport2011.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/tfl-sell-off-surplus-rms-but-real.html

My bus number (if any): RM1368

Thanks for that, Andrew. All very interesting. The Cooper fleet have their work cut out updating all of them.

I understand that the MD of Tower Transit has bought two of the redundant Heritage RM's formerly in the First fleet.

My bus number (if any): RM 912

Yep rm1627 and 1650

Let's hope he retains the 627/650 DYE registrations on them.

My bus number (if any): RM967 (Driver/Restoration consultant)