ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Transport Manager Required (Part-time 8 hours p.w.)

My client operates a tourist business in central London for which he is recruiting a part-time Transport Manager, holding a current CPC, to be responsible for the professional supervision of three Routemaster buses and the driving team. The role requires a commitment of 8 hours per week, some of which will need to be based within the Holborn offices, but there is a high degree of flexibility as to how these hours are worked. Ideally, you will be a Routemaster enthusiast, and also be able to drive the occasional shift, should you also hold a current PSV licence and Driver CPC.

Please submit your CV to davidc@claritasbcl.co.uk or you can contact David Clark on 01524 847676 for an informal discussion.

Re: Transport Manager Required (Part-time 8 hours p.w.)

David, are your clients aware of the Traffic Commissioner's "guidelines" for a CPC holder? With 3 buses he will need to be employed for something like 16 hours a week; 8 hours for 1 bus. Then if he has to drive as well he will have to be on EU hours and take the requisite rest periods. If he is CPC holder for other operators, that will also need to be taken into account.

Maybe you or your client should read the TC's Guidelines which are more "what the TC EXPECTS and wants to see" rather than guidelines! It's a minefield out there and not as simple as it seems.

My bus number (if any): RML2532,GS67,MLL721,MLL738 and an RT.

Speculative Commercial Advert.

As soon as I saw the words My Client the alarm bells started ringing and they have merely got louder since.

The Agencies have been moving in for some time on the requirement for a CPC holder to act as an External Transport Manager for the burgeoning number of Licence applications, SOME of which are from organisations with little appreciation of their obligations or the realities of a transport business; be that Road Haulage or Passenger Transport. Although I cannot see quite how it would work in relation to an External TM, for anyone who has never heard of Umbrella Companies and the HMRC investigations into their operations, look it up. Beware of the approach to act for additional licence holders.

In addition to the points already raised by Roy, given the unpredictable nature of private hire operations, the capabilities and competence of those full time employees acting under a part time external TM in the business of a multi-vehicle operation, would be a potential concern to him regarding control over the daily operation. In an application for any new-start with the possibility of senior controlling management being from outside the industry, I can see the possibility of the TC insisting on a full time TM; at least until a proven track record has been established.

Below is part of the most pertinent page relating to External TMs taken from the link following it.

ANNEX 1: STARTING POINT FOR ASSESSING THE ABILITY TO
EXERCISE CONTINUOUS AND EFFECTIVE MANAGEMENT
SUBMISSIONS
LEVEL OF AUTHORITY
The suggested amounts of time offer a broad guideline as to what traffic
commissioners might expect in terms of hours worked.
Starting point The guidelines below indicate the starting point in terms of weekly
hours of work to be specified by a transport manager. The level of hours required for
any other employment or activities in which the proposed transport manager is
engaged may restrict his/her ability to devote sufficient time to the duties of a
transport manager on any operator's licence.
Delegated Authority Applications Where the starting point is met and there is no
other relevant adverse information (see Determining Factors below) the decision
may be determined under delegated authority in accordance with existing
delegations. Proposals which do not meet these guidelines must be referred to the
relevant traffic commissioner for a decision.
Motor Vehicles Proposed Hours (per week)
2 or less 8 Hours.
3 to 5 15 Hours.
6 to 10 20 Hours
11 to 14 25 Hours
15 to 29 Full time
30 and above (Full Time) Additional assistance
required
Additional hours may be required for trailers.
In respect of total hours traffic commissioners will be aware that the road transport
working time legislation limits the average working week to 48 hours over a given
reference period with no week within that reference period being over 60 hours. The
horizontal working time legislation (non-EU regulated mobile workers) requires that
adequate rest be undertaken each week.
Other factors the matters set out in the following table might assist the traffic
commissioner in making a decision on whether to go up or down from the starting
points described above.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/245251/3-transport-managers.pdf

Gentlemen,

Firstly, thank you for your interest in our post. If I may respond.

On a point of clarity, I am not an agency, I am doing some work for my client and that includes his HR activities as he is a small organisation with no internal HR resource, hence my involvement. My client will do the actual recruitment of a Transport Manager directly into a staff role.

We are very much aware of the legal requirements and it is based on consultation with the authorities, that is where the current figure of 8 hours per week derives.

Kind regards