ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What's a Routemaster worth?

Some of you will already have seen a Routie for sale on that auction site and I'm guessing the rest will now have a quick look.
My question has to be what is a Routie worth and what is the cut off figure at which it becomes a non viable project?
The Ad states that it needs an engine /gearbox and looking at the picture it might have a half shaft missing.

Graham

My bus number (if any): RML2478

Re: What's a Routemaster worth?

Worth in the context you wish to apply can be no greater than a hypothetical assumption; i.e.a supposition made only as a basis for reasoning, no more than a groundless asumption unless assumed from known facts,and even then not more than an aproximation; therefore there cannot be a "worth" until the split second at which the cash drops into the till. Best wishes....Ian.

My bus number (if any): rm446

Well the two I just saw on that site are vastly opportunist in the asking prices. One and ex playbus devoid of most of its parts, the other looks like it has been robbed of it's expensive and not so easily replaced parts.

But there will always be someone out there daft enough to pay such a silly price, particularly media production companies for either destroying in a movie or for some sort of promotional conversion.

Neither are worth a fraction of that price for what remains of them. That's why they are stuck with them.

Current value of scrap metal is around £40 a ton according to the local pikeys, so a bus without bits is say 6 tons, £240! (cue evil grin).

However, a bus that has been robbed of bits is probably only worth getting for dismantling for the rest of the bits, but then there's the labour cost of dismantling, storage of bits etc.

Then a decent running bus with class 6 ticket is worth what someone is prepared to pay for it. As I've mentioned before exe London buses in Europe fetch far higher prices than in the UK, an RT converted to a bar 60,000euro, and that was with a gearbox devoid of oil (£3500 to fix) and a knackered engine. It's still off the road. then there was the RM at Sothebys that went for about £120k including commission and vat. Keep dreaming.

They are all worth what someone will pay on the day.

My bus number (if any): RML2532,GS67,MLL721,MLL738 and an RT.

Roy I think your last sentence probably summed it up perfectly they are only worth what someone is prepared to pay on the day.
The bus that sold at Sotheby's haunts me to this day.The gentleman who bought it and then sold it on invited me to have a look at it and I well remember telling him that if he got back the £21k he had paid for it he should consider himself lucky.
I guess if you start of with a high price you can always come down but not go up if there is a lot of interest.
On that thought my bus is going up for sale next year for £250k!!!!Can deliver for an extra £1 per mile.

Note to Ian
I like your way with words,everything I want to write seems to pale into insignificance compared to your reply.

Jack. My thoughts entirely.The "Play Bus" seems to have quite a few people looking at it,it will be interesting to see what it actually goes for.

Graham Smith
Roy I think your last sentence probably summed it up perfectly they are only worth what someone is prepared to pay on the day.
The bus that sold at Sotheby's haunts me to this day.The gentleman who bought it and then sold it on invited me to have a look at it and I well remember telling him that if he got back the £21k he had paid for it he should consider himself lucky.
I guess if you start of with a high price you can always come down but not go up if there is a lot of interest.
On that thought my bus is going up for sale next year for £250k!!!!Can deliver for an extra £1 per mile.

Note to Ian
I like your way with words,everything I want to write seems to pale into insignificance compared to your reply.

Jack. My thoughts entirely.The "Play Bus" seems to have quite a few people looking at it,it will be interesting to see what it actually goes for.

Is said Play Bus RM1747 by any chance Graham, £32K asking price despite having NO seat frames and ugly gash on the nearside rear roof dome?

My bus number (if any): RM967 (Driver/Restoration consultant)

Graham
I think it is RML2488 it is certainly 248 something but the last number is part missing.
It is priced at £17,500 and at this moment has 19 people watching it.
The only other bit of info is that it is in Warrington.

Graham
No bites on mine at £250k yet !!
I may have found the ceiling price.

2488 is at 17k 1747 32k and 931 55k these peeps are mad but you paying for the name

Have another look James 2488 is definitely priced at £17,500 unless you have seen it on another auction site at the lower price. All joking aside the body does look pretty straight.

The RML without an engine or gearbox is for sale as a static bus. It will be towed for free up to 200 miles. It cannot be compared to "normal" buses.
We have just missed out on a running RM 48 for £11 500 and RM 1321 is till for sale with a London taxi in Nice for 35 000€

I agree with Roy, a bus is worth as much as people want to pay for it!

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RM 1585, RMC 1486 and several RTs

Is RM48 the one that was with Kooy Laminations near Amsterdam? Open top with AEC engine?

My bus number (if any): RML2532,GS67,MLL721,MLL738 and an RT.

No Roy, it has a roof with a hole in it. It was used as a restaurant near Metz then when that didn't work taken taken down to Narbonne where it is today.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RM 1585, RMC 1486 and several RTs

RML2488 was apparently parked at the Rocks Lane multi sports centre in Chiswick for nearly 9 years and is now for ssle in the north west according to letest ROOMA mag

My bus number (if any): RML2747

RML 2488 was parked at the Sports Centre in Chiswick for several years. It was on Chiswick Common immediately below the Richmond bound District Line embankment. Had it not been so close to the wall it would have been visible from trains. I used to see it often and, if the Sports Centre was open, it was possible to go right up to it for a closer look. I did several times! The tyres were very flat but bodily it was complete and actually in quite good condition. One of the front destination box glasses was missing (it even had blinds in it all round) but apart from that just about everything was there. Far worse buses, robbed of bits, have been taken on as preservation projects. It was possible to open the cab door for a look inside but switches, seat and other bits were missing and similarly under the bonnet. Nothing there at all. I can`t actually recall what the lower deck was like for seats. I think none (maybe some) but tables were there as, with a locked door across the platform, the bus was used for kit and belongings storage by those using the sports facilities. Using my mobile, I took lots of pictures of the bus in April 2013 but lost them when my phone developed a fault and had to be `wiped` as part of the re-set process.

Hi All

We are looking to offer RML2488 for sale in the coming months. The vehicle was purchased for a specific 12 month contract with one of our corporate clients that would have seen the bus given a re-panel, re-paint and a re-trim with a quick freshen up inside for static use which has now not materialised. We do not need the parking space or a quick sale and in the meantime once it has been advertised it may be removed from sale at some point should a further contract be offered. We would rather the bus be put back to some form of use as we do not intend putting the bus back on the road it would only ever serve as a static unit with us. The bus is solid and has good flooring on both decks and with a few days would look very tidy interior wise. I'm sure we don't need to list parts that are missing having read many comments regarding the bus although since purchase we have started a cosmetic tidy up which I must stress is a very small one to include a new front wing panel, all destination glass replaced as it was previously broken. The bus has been previously advertised by a dealer in the northwest as he wanted to have a Routemaster on his website to increase the flow of people to his site and I must stress that we have not had the vehicle advertised and the price stated on the website does not reflect the figure we would have in mind. We would ask that anyone interested email us at rmbuses@yahoo.co.uk and any figure we receive above and beyond will be donated to Wigan And Leigh Hospice who we have previously carried out charity work for. We do not want to get involved with any tit for tat or any smart comments on this forum and ask that no spam emails are sent and only genuine people make contact. Delivery is possible but please ask for a quote and see if it all adds up.

Kind Regards

Dave
RM Buses.

My bus number (if any): RML2488