ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Air Drier

One for the ex LT bus mechanics.

While sorting out my storage container that houses a load of equipment I bought a couple of years ago, I have found a compressed air drier. Is this what LT used to charge accumulators rather than the nitrogen most of us use today.

It would save me the bottle rental if this is all that is needed!

David

My bus number (if any): M1001, RML2276, T806

Re: Air Drier

Doubt it, LT used an intensifier to charge accumulators, a large cylinder directly connected to a smaller cylinder, air in at 120psi, air out at 650psi, magic.

Surely an air drier's what they use at the airdressers?

No. An intensifier simply boosts low pressure air to the required pressure. I already have that pressure available (funnily enough via an intensifier). It isn't magic but perhaps only the skilled would know that.

I didn't ask how the pressure was increased. I asked if a drier was then used to remove moisture. An intensifier alone would still produce air with moisture. As it happens a simple look on line and of course the dryer should be fitted before the intensifier which is presumably the reason I have it. It just wasn't fitted by the previous owner of my intensifier. He is also an idiot.

Thank you Roy, if only for ridiculing my question and prompting me to look elsewhere for a sensible answer.

My bus number (if any): M1001, RML2276, T806

Sorry David, not ridiculing your question, just trying to add a touch of light-hearted banter to the question.

Most if not all garage installations would have air dryers and separators in all their compressed air system; I've not seen an intensifier fitted with its own dryer.

David Colin
One for the ex LT bus mechanics.

While sorting out my storage container that houses a load of equipment I bought a couple of years ago, I have found a compressed air drier. Is this what LT used to charge accumulators rather than the nitrogen most of us use today.

It would save me the bottle rental if this is all that is needed!

David
Without seeing what it looks like David it's hard to say what you have, but I can remember the intensifiers the garages had for charging accumulators.

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RM 1585, RMC 1486 and several RTs

The person who could answer the initial question is Lionel Moss, but he does not use computers.