ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Arens cable assembly

Morning Gents

I am looking at the possibility of re-manufacturing arens cable assemblies for original engined Routemasters but do not want to find that these are readily available elsewhere or that someone already does a repair kit or rebuild (i.e. wasting my time). So questions are:

Do you have a stock of these in a usable or in need of repair condition.
Do you know of an existing supplier or repairer of these.(I have called the usual suppliers of RM parts but no-one appears to do it)

I assume a single type does both Leyland and AEC engined vehicles.

David Colin

My bus number (if any): M1001, RML2276, T806

Re: Arens cable assembly

Evening,

I think that there are two types fitted to AEC engines, depends if the engine has a DPA pump, or an in line one.

I have a couple of each spare for my own use.
I don't think its a waste of time, I do not know of any suppliers.

But if yours breaks its only a bit of bowden cable that will need replacing using a soldering iron, I think

Cheers

Rob

My bus number (if any): RF12

Speedy Cables may be able to help, I don't have any contact details though.

Rob/Roy
I know of speedy cables. I will try them but unless they have made them previously they would have to machine the end parts anyway, which I can do in house and I have sourced what appears to be comparable inner and outer cables as well as the component materials. I originally thought of soldering but the original, or at least the one I have seen, has crimped components that cannot be opened up to reuse. If the break is in the middle of the cable then soldering is out. I have no idea of the failure rate, if indeed they are ever a problem. The unit I was looking at is seized mid cable. To strip the unit the cable had to be cut. the unit I have has a straight threaded rod with a nut on it for the pump end. Not sure if this screws into an inline joint or through a clearance hole with lock nuts or if this is a dpa or in-line pump cable. Is one for AEC and one Leyland or could it be either type for either engine.
I am sure a faulty unit could be bodged with a simple stop cable and separate electrical switch. As I say, I'm simply looking for a solution for a single unit as a spare for someone but can produce 10 or so if there is a market

If either of you have any failed assemblies in your stock please let me know. I may be interested in buying the usable parts.

Rob. If you have one of each type could you send me a picture and cable length details please, when you have time that is. Equally useful would be a photo of the two different connections to the pump.

Cheers

David

My bus number (if any): M1001, RML2276, T806