ROOF

Thank you for visiting the Routemaster Owner and Operator's Forum (ROOF). Please feel free to use this forum for the mature discussion of any issues of interest and relevance to Routemaster owners. Please do not use this board to publicise your feelings about individuals, National or Local Government or TFL policy. Owners of other London bus types in service during the 1950s, 60s and 70s are also welcome to contribute to this forum.

Please note, the ROOF website no longer exists. The link from the Forum does not work anymore.  Useful information and links from the website has been posted to the Forum.

Please do not respond to abusive posts but notify ROOFmoderator 1@outlook.com.

ROOF
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
RM48 Back Home at Last

RM48
Well, this is our latest acquisition, it arrived back at our place this morning.
It was sold by Ted Brakell in 1993 and exported to France, and has been there for 22 years where it was used as a ‘Pizza Bus’. Its future did not look bright as its next planned use was a ‘Cabin for the kids to play in’.
Not only is it an early Routemaster, but carries an early body as well. We bought it last month, but recovery companies have been reluctant to take the job on, as they were worried about how many ‘extra passengers’ they would pick up at Calais.
Anyway J & K Recovery took the job on, and were First Class, no problem, the bus was collected from Narbonne in the South of France Monday evening, and arrived back at 3am this morning, we would recommend them to anyone.
Not sure what we are going to do with the bus, but we knew it needed saving, so now its back in Blighty!!

All the above was only possible with the help of Brian Watkinson who lives in France, thank you Brian.

Rob

For pictures, see link to our Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Routemaster-Restoration-Ltd/106906932992719?ref=hl

My bus number (if any): RM48

Re: RM48 Back Home at Last

Well done Rob!!! Good luck with the restoration!!!

My bus number (if any): Conductor RM 2213, 471, 238, and GS17

Rob
Good news RM48 was a clydeside bus and its 30yrs next year
that routemaster went to scotland

Rob Duker
RM48
Well, this is our latest acquisition, it arrived back at our place this morning.
It was sold by Ted Brakell in 1993 and exported to France, and has been there for 22 years where it was used as a ‘Pizza Bus’. Its future did not look bright as its next planned use was a ‘Cabin for the kids to play in’.
Not only is it an early Routemaster, but carries an early body as well. We bought it last month, but recovery companies have been reluctant to take the job on, as they were worried about how many ‘extra passengers’ they would pick up at Calais.
Anyway J & K Recovery took the job on, and were First Class, no problem, the bus was collected from Narbonne in the South of France Monday evening, and arrived back at 3am this morning, we would recommend them to anyone.
Not sure what we are going to do with the bus, but we knew it needed saving, so now its back in Blighty!!

All the above was only possible with the help of Brian Watkinson who lives in France, thank you Brian.

Rob

For pictures, see link to our Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Routemaster-Restoration-Ltd/106906932992719?ref=hl

That's great Rob, I'll get in touch with Stagecoach and see if they can help out with getting the VLT 48 reg back for you. As you said, it does have an early body (136). Oldest Routemaster I drove was RM55 which carried Body 49, I would love to know whatever became of that one although I have heard that is also still extant overseas.

My bus number (if any): RM967 (Driver/Restoration consultant)

RM 48 has Body B186 and A frame A196.

VLT 48 plate was sold by Western Scottish, and is currently on a newish Ford. It will be possible for the new owner to get the LDS 199A reg back!

My bus number (if any): RTL 960, RM 1585, RMC 1485 and several RTs

nice one rob

I stand corrected Brian, should have checked my Routemaster bodyswap book, hopefully the owner of the VLT 48 registration will be open to negotiation, maybe even accept another VLT or WLT RM reg as an exchange?

My bus number (if any): RM967 (Driver/Restoration consultant)